Chapter 25 Eitri McNeil is actually a crazy old cat-loving wizard.

Chapter 25 Eitri McNeil is actually a crazy old cat-loving wizard.

A Chapter by A.L.Exley

Chapter 25 Eitri McNeil is actually a crazy old cat-loving wizard 

When Bodolf starts leading us towards the Hvitrfjella mountains, I get a little nervous. This is the last place I wants to go. I have just spent the last three days trying to get out of there. But he assures us that he know where he is going. The place isn't too far. 

We are a few miles north of were we had first come of the mountains. We walk across the caribou fields, and start hiking up a rocky pathway. Above us, the sky is bright and clear. The sun rains down gentle warmth. I wish I can take a moment to appreciate the beauty of this place, but it always seems like we are busy running from impending danger. 

The trail levels out into a little pathways that curves between two rocky slopes. Bodolf stops and turns to us. 

"From here, that path is straight-forward. Follow it, and you should meet him. I must now return to my pack."

"Him?" I ask. 

Bodolf smiles. "Do not be alarmed. He has been a long-time ally of ours. His bark might be harsh, but he is anxious to meet you."

That doesn't reassure me. Bodolf is already starting to go back down the slope.

"Thank you, again!" I call. 

He flicks his tail at me in a kind gesture of farewell. 

"Geez," Pine mumbles, "everyone is always so allusive, speaking in prophecies or riddles. Can't they just be straight forward with us for once? Bodolf really couldn't just tell us who we are going to see?"

"One way or another, we're about to find out," I say. 

We begin walking down the trail, side by side. Luna wants to scope ahead for us, but she is so tired. She deserves to rest. I let her ride on my shoulder.

Jay steps lightly. His ears are pointed forwards, and his eyes scan the rocks ahead of us. Pine just hides behind my legs the whole time. 

It reminds me of one of the books I had read in the library, The Wizard of Oz, when the characters are walking down a long hallway, anxious to finally meet the great wizard they hope will help them. Unfortunately, that wizard isn't a real wizard at all. I hope whoever Bodolf has sent us to will actually help us like he said.

The rocks are all various shades of light tan. Everything seems to blend together in a confusing landscape. That's when I see one of the rocks move. 

We all freeze and look up. The rock continues to move, and I slowly made out four legs, a tail, and the head. 

"Cougar," I squeak. 

I can tell by the look on his face that Jay wants to take a hiding spot behind Pine, but he stays besides me. I look around, but the only way to escape is back down the trail. We wouldn't be able to outrun that cougar, or hide from it. My only weapon is my shifting power; which is barely enough to stop a cougar. 

The cat watches us, slowly making it's way closer. It's eyes have the wide, intense look of a hunter closing in on it's prey. None of us dare to make a sudden movement, for fear it might trigger the cat to pounce. 

But once the cat gets within several yards of us, it just stops, and sits on it's haunches, looking around the rocks with a placid expression. 

We all relax a little, but I keep my eyes on the cougar. 

"Why isn't it attacking?" Pine wonders. 

"I don't know, but I'd rather not stick around until it changes it's mind," I say, stepping back. 

"It's about bloody time you all got here!" comes a ragged voice. 

At first, I look at the cougar, but it hadn't spoken. 

"Over here, lassie," the voice calls again. 

I swallow my fear, and walk a little further up the trail.

Around the corner is an old man. He looks around 70 years old, and is dressed in dark blue robes. He sports an incredibly long, white beard that covers his chest. The edges of his mustache curve down, making him look like he is permanently frowning. He has bright, almost clear eyes that are hidden under bushy white eyebrows. Wrinkles pinch the edges of his eyes, and cover his forehead. 

There is something fascinating about the old man that I can't quite pinpoint. 

"Have you been expecting us?" I asks, timidly. 

He waves his hand impatiently. "Yes, yes. Walk with me, I'll explain on the way."

Before I can protest, the old man walks up the path, moving with incredible agility for a man his age. Jay looks up at me. He raises an eyebrow, to say; What's up with this?

I shrug at him. No idea.

 We have to run in order to catch up to the old man. 

"I knew you were out here since Fenrir got a hold of you," the man says hastily. He speaks in a extremely accented tone that reminded me of Alex, only much more gruff. 

I have the sudden disturbing image of this man secretly following me all across the mountains. That's impossible, but how can he know so much about me?

I suddenly stop in my tracks. 

"You work for Fenrir, don't you?"

"Do I look like a bloody bird!" he snaps at me. 

Suddenly, the cougar runs past me, almost knocking me over. 

"Don't worry about Sunna," the old man says, patting the cougar's head, "she's harmless. She just helps me keep an eye on things, and keeps me company."

Okay. So so far, we have a grumpy old man, who seems to know a lot of things about me, with a cougar for a pet. 

"Wait, do you live out here?" I suddenly ask. 

He rolls his eyes. "Where did you think I bloody lived? In the sky!" 

Pieces of the puzzle finally click together. I stop in my tracks, causing Pine to walk into my leg. 

It all makes sense; an old man, living alone in the mountains. An ally to the wolves.

"You're Eitri McNeil, the wizard?"

The old man smirks at me. "Glad to see the wheels finally turning." 

"That's how you know about me; you're a wizard." 

The old man stops in front of a large cave. "After you, lassie. I'll explain more inside."

The cave looks awfully dark, but I don't want to upset the old man any more, so I go in. At first, I can't see a thing. I place my hand on the cave wall too feel my way through the tunnel. Then, my eyes adjust. 

At the far end, I see a flickering light. The tunnel opens up into a large domed room. In the middle is a small fireplace that burns without fuel or smoke. Along the round walls are all sorts of shelves filled with books, and strange looking bottles. 

Near the entrance is a little living room section with a couch and some chairs around a little table, facing the fireplace. A really old map of the Island hangs on the wall over the couch. It is a nice touch; this old man knows how to decorate. On the other side of the entrance is what looks like a huge pet bed. When McNeil's cougar, Sunna, walks in, she goes straight to her bed and curls up. 

"Quite a place, isn't it?" Sunna says, sleepily. 

It is odd to see such a big, muscular cat curl up in a beg like a kitten. But I'm careful not to stare at her for too long; the last thing I want to do is offend her. 

"Yeah, it's amazing," I say.

The old man brushes past me, and walks over to the fire. 

"Hopefully, you've noticed by now that this is no ordinary fire," McNeil grumbles. He picks up a bottle of what looks like ashes, and pours them into the fireplace. After a moment, the fireplace flickers, and images start dancing in the flames. I step closer to get a better look. I see an image of a girl with blond hair and blue eyes; me. 

At first I think's its a reflection, but that doesn't make any sense; you can't see your reflection in flames. The pictures show me tied to a tree, while Argo Fenrir looks down at me. This made even less sense; this is what happen to me three four days ago. How could fire even show pictures, let alone the past?   

"Through this fire, I can see the world around me. Past, present, and even sometimes future, although that is always subject to change. For these past couple of days, I have been watching you make you're way through the mountains."

"Really?" I look up at him, slightly angry. "You've known all this time and you hadn't helped me?'

"I didn't need to. You had plenty of help already." He nods and Jay and Pine, standing at my feet. "Besides, you wanted to get back to the castle. I wasn't going to stop you."

"But you still could have helped me," I argue. 

McNeil shrugs. "I'm known for my magic, not my charity."

I feel Jay pace a little besides me. He seems really nervous here, even though we are all safe now. 

"So, um, do you mind telling me why you were watching us?" I ask. In the fire, I see myself in wolf form with Jay and Pine besides me, walking through the woods. 

"A couple of reasons. First off, your father was a friend of mine."

I remembered my mother telling me stories about how Eitri McNeil had trained my father to become one of the greatest warriors of his time. 

"The other reason is; Skoll prefers his hero to be alive," McNeil mumbles. 

I take a step back. "What?"

"Honestly, lassie, did you really think I was the reason you could shift?" McNeil says, shaking his head. "Every time I heard that, I wanted to slam my head against the wall."

"It can't be true. It's so far fetched . . . " I stop. My argument does not sound as strong as it use to. 

In more ways than one, Skoll and Hati are just like the sun and moon;  very much real, but very far away. They are unreachable, and only contacted the kingdom a couple times in history. These beings who have always been distant figures to us suddenly are playing a major role in my life. It is a difficult thing to adjust to. 

"But if I really am the Wolf Princess, why don't I have any extraordinary powers?"

 "Have you ever tried to do something extraordinary?" McNeil looks at me; his clear eyes reflect the firelight. "You can't use power's you don't even know you have."

I nod. "How am I suppose to learn about them, then?"

"That is something I can teach you. If you choose to accept this."

I take a deep breath, and look around the cave. Something about this feels right--the cave is cozy, and though McNeil is a grumpy old cat-guy, there is something good about him I trusted. This whole situation felt new and strange, but it also felt right. 

"I accept," I say. 

"Brilliant," McNeil growls. "Bye the way--" 

He sprinkles another bottle of powder into the fire, and another image appears. I see Miria and Chris, both on horse back, traveling through the woods. 

"They're on their way here right now," McNeil says. "They will arrive sometime around midday tomorrow." 

"They really are searching for me," I say. "Just like I say in my dream."

"Ah-ha!" McNeil points at me. "You've been wondering about extraordinary powers? Well there you go! No other shifters have those kinds of dreams. Just like my fire, they can tell the past, present, and a much surer sense of the future, including omens and dangers."

I stare at McNeil, trying to figure out if he is telling the truth. His face stays placid. Something tells me this guy never lies or jokes. I look back at the fire, noticing with dread how there are only two of my friends in the image. 



© 2017 A.L.Exley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

she should say something about just because war is about sacrificing doesn't meen you have to sacrifice needlesly


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I hate when people are stupid, but ylvana is being logicaly stupid, so it's fine

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.L.Exley

7 Years Ago

Lol. In this moment i wanted to demonstrate how she is a little arrogent, a little selfish, and stub.. read more
DRAGO

7 Years Ago

nicly done_____________________________

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 11, 2016
Last Updated on February 18, 2017
Tags: Wolves, teens, mythology, humor, adventure


Author

A.L.Exley
A.L.Exley

MN



About
I believe stories are one of the most important things in life, whether they take the form of books, movies, or pictures. A story is in insight into someone else's mind, offering an escape from our ow.. more..

Writing
Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by A.L.Exley