Chapter 1: Falcon

Chapter 1: Falcon

A Chapter by April Faust

I notice Crow leaving camp from my tree. He looks around to make sure no one is around but I'm hidden by all the branches and leaves so he can't see me. I see him walk further away from camp towards the south. I listen to the wind and feel that it's blowing against me so he won't be able to pick up my scent. I silently jump to another tree, watching him go further south. Eventually, he comes to a stop near the stream. I don't understand why he's here. Why did he sneak out here? Why is he so close to the southern wolf territory? There's some movement behind a bush, drawing Crow's attention. I silently leap down from the tree and quickly jump behind the fallen oak. The southern wolf alpha, Flame, emerges from the brush and walks up to the stream. I expect a battle to ensue, but they just start talking.
"Are you sure about this?" Flame asks.
"Trust me, the marriage of your son and my daughter will be good for both of our packs." Crow reassures. "We will finally be able to merge our packs and will no longer have to steal prey from one another."
"Have you even told Celeste yet?" Flame qustions.
"Yes, she knows, have you told Falcon? He has to come to the moonlight howl tonight." 
"Yes Falcon knows, and he's coming." Flame says with an annoyed sigh. suddenly the wind changes and moves my scent towards the two alphas. They both quickly look to where I'm ducked down behind the fallen tree. I crouch down and quicky run back to camp, checking every few seconds if I have a pursuer. 
I look up at the setting sun when I reach the border of the camp. I climb up my tree and close my eyes and drift off to sleep. 
"Hello?" a male calls out. "Hey you, up in the tree." I open my eyes, realizing he was talking to me.
"Huh?" I say, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.
"Morning Starshine." he says, smiling up at me.
"Do you need something, or are you just here to annoy me?" I say sitting on my branch.
"I need to know where the moonlight howl is." he says. I look up and see that the moon is almost right over head.
"You must be Falcon. Sorry to disappoint, but I'm an omega. Omegas can't go to those type of events so how would I know?" I say, laying back down.
"Then we can find it together." he says. He slams his body against the tree so that I fall out, landing on my back. I open my eyes to see him standing over me.
"I hate you." I say. I roll over to get up and shake the leaves from my pelt. He snickers and pulls a stray leaf from behind my ear.
"Let's go," he says leading me into the camp. We eventually find everyone on the far side of the camp in a large clearing. I keep my head low feeling several wolves looking at me. I can't blame them. An omega at a howl stands out about as much as an elk in a rabbit hole. We find Celeste in the middle of the clearing. When she sees me, she runs up to me and embraces me.
"Thank the stars you're here, I was afraid I'd have to be alone with him." she says.
"Wasn't exactly my choice." I say giving a joking glare to Falcon. 
"So, Starshine, you know my name, but I don't know yours."
"It's Frost." I say. A silvery glow falls over the clearing and one by one everyone starts howling. these howls are nothing like the ones that filled the forest on the day Azari died. These howls were melodic and calm. Celest stops howling.
"I'll be right back," she says before running off. Falcon and I talk for a few minutes until we hear a strong howl. This isn't apart of the moonlight howl, it's a call for a meeting.Everyone runs to the main clearing where Crow and Flame are standing on a large rock above evryone. Crow is the first to speak.
"Celeste has just been seen leaving the forest. I sent out a search party but they lost her scent. The cremony for her and Falcon will be postponed until she is found."


© 2019 April Faust


Author's Note

April Faust
This will be the last chapter until the next school year because I'm writing this on my school computer and I have to turn it in tomorrow.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

An engrossing story that makes the reader want more.

Posted 4 Years Ago


As a wolf purist, myself, I find that you are heavily imbuing these wolves with petty human characteristics. At first, I wasn't sure if I like that. I tend to want to celebrate the wolf as having its own distinct characteristics. But your storytelling & character development are so well done & compelling, I had to come to like your style of personification & reading your story is very enjoyable. Too bad you won't be continuing at this time & I'll forget by the time you do. Feel free to read request me when you get to posting other chapters. This sounds like a story I wouldn't want to miss. (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


even though it seemed a little rushed here and there more so at the end. It was still pretty good and well worth the read i look forward to reading more when you come back to it.

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 10, 2019
Last Updated on June 10, 2019


Author

April Faust
April Faust

Sun Prairie, WI



About
I like singing and writing stories. I first knew I loved writing at the begginning of the year and honestly, I don't remember when I first started singing (probably when I was five years or younger). more..

Writing
prologue prologue

A Chapter by April Faust



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..