Awake

Awake

A Poem by JayG
"

Because a very special lady isn't with me...but should be.

"

Awake



I woke, enveloped within the comfort only your warmth can bring
My head was nestled into the curve of your shoulder, my hand on velvet skin, stroking.

But you weren’t there.

Memory brought the scent of woman: gentle, and softly sated with pleasure
So warm with sleep, so twined with hints of passions past:
An ambiance of morning…a residue of night…a reason for joy and tears

But you weren’t there.

I woke with you gathered tightly around my being, comforting and exciting, both at once.
I woke to memories and to desire, and to comfort, as my lips--of themselves--"sought yours.

And then, you were there. But only for a moment:
In warmth
In passion
In comfort
In life
In all that matters.

But then, sadly, reality brought a sigh, and a turning inward

And on waking, I wept.

Because you weren’t there.


© 2018 JayG


Author's Note

JayG
I fixed the M-dash problem and the swapped last two lines on 10/3/18.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi jay great work from a master in poetry. I always find your reviews of others works educational and most informative ie concise. This was just excellent.

Posted 6 Years Ago


so so sad at times I think that I am alone with similar feelings , but many people around our world have loved and lost that dearest person/ friend etc
your beautiful poem with that haunting repetition is well done and profoundly painful... and written so well.

Posted 6 Years Ago


The words are few, but meanings numerous,
Each of us feel our own resplendent grief.
Those who know all and feel most generous,
bring evil to our souls and not relief.

Time smirks at us, for we are standing strong,
'Builds character?' That notion is debunked.
No matter of the pressure or how long,
the ambiance of morning has been junked

So, stand upon our patience and our trust,
One day we'll find it's passed despite the hitch
Contempt for memory's fresh, disgusting lust,
We bury these reflections in a twitch.

Past deeds rush in to try and make a case,
Ignoring all those tears upon the face,


Posted 6 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
k
You've managed to perfectly capture the tone of loneliness and want through this poem. You utilize repetition well with the line "but you weren't there" which acts as a refrain for the poem. There's some really nice diction/syntax in here, it was a joy to read.

One thing you could consider in revision is making it a bit clearer when "she" is physically there and when she is not, and if the speaker is imagining her as there then that could be clearer as well. As I was reading it, I found myself having a hard time deciphering what was imagination, what was figurative, and what was "her" actually physically being there.

All in all, this is a really lovely poem. I hope this review is helpful!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Beautiful words! This poem really had me hooked and I felt a deep connection to it. I have experienced this myself, with constant memories and flashbacks of someone I was once madly in love with. It is an odd experience, as it is painful yet beautiful and your words portray this perfectly.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I have few words to say. I can feel the sorrow and the joy woven into the powerful words. Thank you for your experience it resonates well with the human heart and soul.

Posted 6 Years Ago


oh my Jay...

there is someone from my past who is the spirit of this poem...at least as i relate...
sometimes she is still there for me, even though i know she is with another and quite happy....there was love once...and i know that on both sides feelings remain...but circumstance overrode and life for the two of us went in opposite directions...but good memories still lie next to me on that other pillow.
thank you for this...

j.

Posted 6 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Constructive plus constructive equals constructive. Constructive plus criticism equals constructive criticism. Meeting in Constructive Criticism is as far to the middle path as one can go to hold them in order to lift them up. Once constructive criticism is complete; constructive-constructive-constructive.

Posted 6 Years Ago


0 of 3 people found this review constructive.

You write so beautifully...I wish you would give others constructive criticism instead of bringing them down. There's a lot others could learn from you if you weren't so self-righteous in your view of the writing of others.

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 4 people found this review constructive.

JayG

6 Years Ago

Telling people of the problems in the work, why those things are a problem, and how find the informa.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3313 Views
58 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 27, 2017
Last Updated on October 4, 2018

Author

JayG
JayG

Elkins Park, PA



About
I've been actively writing fiction for about 40 years and have been offered, and signed, 7 publishing contracts. I have a total of 30 novels available at booksellers at the moment. I've taught wri.. more..

Writing
The Nose Knows The Nose Knows

A Poem by JayG


Life Life

A Poem by JayG



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Windy Windy

A Story by Samuel Dickens