The Death of Common Courtesy

The Death of Common Courtesy

A Poem by Phill Oz O'fee
"

A rant …..

"

The Death of Common Courtesy


No doors held open anymore

Even between free world countries


No calm and quiet waiting lines

For sharing has been abandoned


No proclamations of indignation

As no one has concern for others


No place for passion any longer

For selflessness is today’s order


No safe places for the righteous

Just blocks of soundproof dwellings


No truths allowed displayed in papers

Just official propaganda pamphlets


No way to bring up new generations

Brainwashed with controlled agendas’


No chance for change if left to fester

Awaiting the death of common courtesy


No choice except to rise up and fight

Will you get to your feet and join me?


Copyright @ Phillozofee 2018

© 2018 Phill Oz O'fee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's a very insightful poem that makes a person think about the social landscape.

I blame social media for some of it. It's conducive to outrage culture and shaming with little to no accountability. I blame the 24 hour "news" cycle for some it. Most of the time it's identity politics and outrage culture soundbites vilifying the 'other' for ratings because unfortunately polarizing controversy sells ad space more than anything else.

Some people just have fun with it, some people make a living off it, and the worst people let it poison their entire disposition and carry it over to real life interactions. I think what was once a not so loud minority of angry people has turned into an extremely loud minority of angry people.

Being too connected is a problem now... people want to share something interesting and get that little serotonin hit from those views, likes and attention from friends, family and strangers alike who in turn do the same thing. And much like the "news" channels, controversy and drama gets more attention than anything. It's like a feedback loop of ever increasing bullshit.

An old football coach named Lou Holtz once said "don't tell your problems to people. 80% don't care and 20% will be glad you have them".

I think the best way to fight it is to ignore it and just not engage with people like that online or in real life (of which I am one of the "do it for fun online" kind; yes, I am aware of my hypocrisy in this moment). If you "rise up and fight" you will actually be contributing to the problem, but if you just roll your eyes and ignore, they have nothing ('don't feed the trolls'). There's still common courtesy in the world, I don't really think it's dying. And I think there is more freedom and equality now in the real world than at any other point in history, but giving everyone a voice has some collateral effects while the internet allows that ever present contingent of discourteous folks to over represent themselves and make it seem like there is nothing but angry, hate filled jerks out there.

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I agree with the last stanza, this world needs help.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Doesn't happen here in South Korea or our sister country, Japan. Our people are polite and we always help out others.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with the last stanza so much. Bad etiquette, lack of empathy must be met with resistance any place, any time. Like Mr. Jacob said here, I blame it on the increasing isolation of people due to technology and the impatience, intolerance with others that it has brought in its wake. Appreciated so much.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

No fight left in me
but if there were, I'd stand beside YOU..

God Bless.... Let's be hope-full for the future...

J.J.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Orwell is looking down and nodding his head in agreement with you.

You portray not just the death of common courtesy, but the death of freedom itself.

Beccy.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

a vicious circle really, common courtesy declined and then the children of that generation never saw it being practiced and therefore never instilled it into their children.It is thought of as old fashioned or sissy these days for a man to hold open a door for a lady; or to give up his seat on public transport.
Very sad indeed..:((

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i really really like this. No doors held open anymore/ Even between free world countries. i wish i wrote that because it's so good! thank you for sharing this. you sir are a reason to get on the internet this morning, haha!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Phill Oz O'fee

5 Years Ago

Thanks for your kind review … :-)
last stanza i read first line as "No choice except...)
but absolutely..courtesy, caring for others, manners---all of those seem to be non-existent---
i think the electronics have contributed...cell phones, text language...ignoring what is around us...too glued to screens...we have forgotten much of the protocol for interaction with other humans.
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Phill Oz O'fee

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your welcomed comments (you are correct about that stanza and will edit) - we live in .. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

537 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 10, 2018
Last Updated on June 10, 2018

Author

Phill Oz O'fee
Phill Oz O'fee

Winchester, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom



About
I am caught in a time spiral of confusion; that period we all experience between birth and death. Somewhere inside hides a poet, writer, lyricist and/or whatever, laying dormant and suppressed by s.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Couplet~ Couplet~

A Poem by lightsong


Lasting Lasting

A Poem by Chris Shaw