Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Elizabeth Reed

Almost everything I owned was packed up and put in the car. I made sure to leave my 'biohazard' and 'keep out' signs on my door, so people knew it was still my room. I insisted that, since we were taking my car anyway, I just drive myself there. But, my parents were very open and honest with the fact that- they didn't trust me. They trust that I would actually go there, rather than leave and go somewhere else. So, Dad said he was coming with me. I had no choice but to let him.
So once the last few boxes were shoved into the back of my blue '05 Ford Echo, I got in and Dad got into his white '97 Chevy Blazer. I refused to say goodbye to Mom or speak a word to either of them. Mom came to the window and unfortunately it was already down, so she bent down, resting her hands on the door. I kept my eyes straight out the windsheild. Mom sighed.

"I love you, Cody." she said. "I really do."
I put the car in drive and Mom backed off from the window. Without so much as a glance to her I drove off down the road, headed for the worst year of my life.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

Me and Dad drove down the highway at 80 mph. Dad kept tailing me and blinking his lights, probably trying to tell me to slow down. I'm sure he said something about it in the seven texts he sent, and probably wanted to say something when he called five times, but I wasn't answering, so I don't know. But, I was going 80 and was perfectly comfortable with it. The speed limit was 70, I was fine.
My music was blasting (sounding amazing with the knew speakers I got. Plenty of base, biggest subwoofers I've ever seen in my tiny little echo), Fiona was texting me, and I had a nice ice coffee by my- I froze. The world came to an end earlier than expected. I looked down. My ice coffee was- empty... I held back tears of anguish as I got off an exit, probably confusing Dad, and headed towards the nearest Dunkin Donuts. There was no way I was going to wait and see if there was another one anytime soon. I had to drive for like 2-3 days straight, so I needed my ice coffee whenever I could get it.
I pulled into the parking lot and Dad pulled in next to me. He opened the door in a hurry as I calmly closed mine.

"Cody!" he cried. "What do you think you're doing?!"
I glanced at the Dunkin Donuts and half pointed to it.

"Getting an ice coffee... I thought that was sort of obvious." I replied, then gesturing widely to the building. Dad rolled his eyes.
"Yeah, I assumed that, it's not what I meant. You're ignoring my calls and texts!" he cried.
"Oh, that!" I said with a smile and a small laugh. "Yeah, I was." I turned and headed for the door. Dad sighed and trotted after me as I walked in.
"Well, don't anymore." he said firmly. "You were going too fast on the highway, and I don't want you texting while you're driving." I smiled at the cashier when I reached the table.
"Hi, can I get a large ice coffee with cream and six sugars, please?" I asked, adding to Dad after, "You were texting me."
The lady nodded and looked at Dad, who was now at my side.

"Can I get you anything, sir?" she asked. Dad sighed heavily, contemplating whether or not he wanted something.

"Yeah, give me large hot coffee, cream and two sugars." he answered finally.

"Ooh!" I said suddenly. "And a chocolate chip muffin, and two chocolate covered donuts, and a dozen random munchkins." The lady nodded and left to get our order. Dad was staring at me, eyebrows raised. I glanced around then looked at him. "What?" I asked.

"That's a lot of food!" Dad cried.
"It's a long ride." I replied defensively. "I need fuel."
Dad sighed and took the coffee from the lady, then she handed me my coffee, donuts and muffin. I thanked her and struggled to carry everything out the door without dropping anything.
I put the food on my passenger side seat and Dad stopped me before I walked to the other side.
"Cody," he said, grabbing my arm. "Next time I call you answer it." I rolled my eyes and pulled my arm away.
"Whatever." I said.
"Dakotah!" he demanded as I started walking away.
I stopped in my tracks and spun, then took a few steps back towards him.
"Alright, Dad, now you listen to me." I said firmly, extremely angry. "You have no right anymore. You're abandoning me and sending me to live with your brother. You have no right to tell me what to do anymore. You don't scare me. If I don't answer my phone, what exactly are you going to do about it when you're in another car? Calling me by my first name is only going to make me more angry, so I wont want to do what you're telling me anymore." I started to turn away, Dad's face was more shocked than I'd ever seen it before, and I could tell he knew I was right.

Before I got into the car, I turned back and looked him square in the eye. "And do not call me Dakotah ever again." I opened my door and sat down, then slamming it shut and exhaling sharply, feeling good about what I'd done. I've stood up to my parents before, but never like that, because I knew in the end they could do something about it. But, not anymore.
I smiled to myself and pulled out of the driveway, heading back to the highway. 

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

We had been driving for hours and had made six more stops at Dunkin Donuts and corner stores. So, we stopped at about 11:30 to sleep and got up at almost 4:00 to start up again.

The sun was slowly coming up over the horizon and I yawned.
I should be asleep in my bed... I thought. Waiting to get up for school and see Fio...
I tucked my messy hair behind my ears and pulled into yet another Dunkin Donuts, going for the drive thru. I ordered my coffee, muffin and a couple donuts and continued on my way.
I wondered about my new life. I would be in Tennessee for almost two years. What would it be like? Uncle Chris lives on a farm, what work would I have to do? Would I go to school there? Would I make friends?
So many questions filled my head and I still had plenty of time to ponder them. It would be about another 25-30 hour drive. I shifted in my seat.
This bites...


© 2012 Elizabeth Reed


Author's Note

Elizabeth Reed
All feedback is appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on September 21, 2012
Last Updated on September 26, 2012
Tags: Girl, Farm, Horse, Horses, Trouble, Love, Teen, Angst


Author

Elizabeth Reed
Elizabeth Reed

NH



About
I absolutely love to write, but I'm not very confident in myself. I would love honest feedback. Negative or not. If you'd like to see pictures of my characters, go to my photos. The letter(s) at th.. more..

Writing