Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

A Chapter by Elizabeth Reed

I fell asleep in the truck and woke up about four hours later in bed. Beck and Laina stayed by my bed, promising they would stay as long as they could. Beck was talking to me about why I had run off that day in school so early and stayed in the principal's office so late, and why Aunt Hailey said I was in trouble. I was a little groggy still, but I explained everything to them. How they blamed me and got to witnesses to say I beat them up, how they framed me for shoplifting, how I was grounded for months and suspended for a week. Beck and Laina both looked at each other confusedly.

"You didn't beat them up." Laina said finally. I rolled my eyes.

"You're telling me." I said. "Try telling Aunt Hailey and Uncle Chris that."
"We can." Laina said. "We know where they were and how they got hurt." My eyes widened and I sat up straighter.
"You do?" I asked, relieved and excited.

"Yeah, them getting hurt was an accident on their part." Beck explained. "Taylor was trying to pry open her makeup case when she elbowed Lucy in the eye. And as an automatic reaction Lucy gave her a bit of a push and Taylor fell down the stairs. That's how she sprained her wrist. Me, Laina and like two other students are the only ones who saw it." I shook my head, smiling. 
"I can't believe this..." I muttered. "Will you guys explain that to Uncle Chris?"

"Of course." Laina said with a grin. "We will when they take us home." I nodded.
"Thank you so much." I said.

"We really should go, though." Beck said. "We have school tomorrow, and we'll have to tell the principal you're innocent." I nodded with a small sigh.
"Okay..." I said. Laina stood off my bed and gave me a gentle hug.

"Bye, Cody. Feel better, okay?" she said. "We'll come by tomorrow after work and get the chores done and spend the rest of the day with you." I grinned.
"I'd like that." I said. Laina tucked her hair behind her ears and left the room. I looked at Beck, standing there with his hands in his pockets. I didn't really know what to do... I had forgotten until then that I had made plans (and would know have to cancel, since I had the flu) with Josh. And I didn't want to complicate things with me and Beck... I wasn't too sure how I felt about him. He moved towards me and I did something really awkward. I faked a few coughs and a sneeze. "Ugh, night, Beck..." I muttered, pretending to sneeze again. I saw his face fall.

"O- oh, right." he said, looking around. "Uhm, night." With a sad look he left my room and closed my door. I closed my eyes, holding back tears. Seeing his face like that killed me and I prayed to never see it again. I knew I would have to figure things out soon, but I chose to push it off. I looked at my clock. It was 9:00pm. Just as I was about to give up on Fiona calling me and go to bed, my cell phone rang. My eyes lit up when I saw it was her and I quickly answered.
"Fiona!" I said.
"Cody!" she cried back. "Oh my gosh, how are you? Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine... I have the flu and my shoulder aches, but they gave me some Vicodin."
Fiona laughed. "The good stuff!"
"Shut up." I grinned. I missed her jokes...
"So, you're okay?"
"Yup, I'm fine. I have to cancel a date with a football player, though."
"What?! Why?!"
"Uhm, I dunno, maybe because I have the flu!"
"Oh, Cody, Cody, Cody... You're going to ruin your chances."
"You don't even know this guy."
"All football players are the same."
"Anyway, how are you and Fender doing?"
I could hear the smile in her voice as she spoke. "We're good... We're going to dinner tomorrow."
"Well, aren't you two moving right along?"
"Well, it's been a couple months."
"Yeah, it has... Wow..."
"I know, I miss you so much."
"I miss you too... Been pulling good pranks lately?"
"Mm, I pulled a few since you've been gone. It's not the same without you. Have you pulled any?"
"It's the same with me..."
"Haven't turned too country on me, have you?"
I hesitated. I hadn't turned too country, but I certainly wasn't the same as when I left. "No way, I'm not country."
"You don't wear those weird cowboy boots?"
"Well... I have to wear boots in the barn and when I ride, but I don't just wear them. I still have my Converse and Airwalks."
"Good... I don't want you to be too different next time I see you."
I laughed a little. "You'd still love me."
"Yeah, I guess." she joked.
"Well, I should go... I'm pretty tired."
"Alright, I'll talk to you soon."
"Don't go so long without talking, okay? You've been distant."
"I know... But, don't worry. I'll call soon."
"Okay. Talk to you soon. Bye."
"Bye."
I hung up my phone and grinned. I had just missed the sound of her voice... And she always took my mind off of bad things. I scooted down into bed and flicked off the light. That night, I dreamt about Beck.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

The next morning I slept in until 10:00, which was normal for the old me, but I hadn't done it in months. For some reason the first thing I thought of when I opened my eyes was Josh. With everything that happened I had completely forgotten about him. I smiled thinking about him. I was so glad he liked me. I pushed myself up in my bed, leaning against my headboard. I thought about our date. I knew I would have to cancel. I frowned a little then I felt my phone vibrate. I pulled it from my pocket and my face broke into a smile. It was from Josh.

Hey cody its josh. Just heard the news its going around the school. I really hope ur okay. If you need to cancel our date i understand. 

I kind of frowned, knowing I would have to cancel. Struggling to do it, I texted him back right away.

Yeah im okay thanks for asking. I probably will have to cancel. Im so sorry. We can go to dinner after i feel better.

Do you want me to stop by after school and see you? 

My heart raced a little and I bit my lower lip. I didn't want to sound too desperate, but I didn't want him to think I didn't care.

Well as long as you arent busy and im not asleep. :P

lol yeah of course just dont fall asleep. Ill see you around 4:00 then

See you then

I grinned and giggled a little bit. Then my eyes widened. I only had six hours to get ready! I got out of bed as quickly as I could, said goodbye to Gunner who was sleeping next to my bed and rushed to the bathroom. As fast as possible (which was slow for me) I showered, changed and struggled to do my hair. After drying it I straightened it and fussed to put it in a half pony tail. After I found out it's impossible to put your hair up with one hand I trotted down the stairs. At this point Aunt Hailey was in the kitchen making lunch. When I walked in Aunt Hailey spun around and grinned at me.

"Oh, Kodah, darling!" she cried. "I went in this morning with breakfast, but you were asleep. I didn't want to wake you." She looked me up and down. "I see you've showered and changed, that's great. Are you hungry?" I sneezed the nodded.

"Yeah, I am." I answered. "But, actually I was wondering if you could help me put my hair into a half pony tail... Kinda impossible with one arm." Aunt Hailey laughed a little and left her vegetables to help me. She tied my hair up nicely and asked me why I looked so nice. After another sneeze and I answered.

"A football player at my school named Josh is coming over after school to see me. We had a date, but I have to cancel because of the whole flu thing." I explained. Aunt Hailey forced a smile and nodded.
"That's nice, dear." she said, turning back to her veggies. I frowned and took a step forward.
"What's wrong, Aunt Hailey?" I asked. "Is it because I'm grounded?" Aunt Hailey shook her head.
"No, dear, you're not grounded while you're sick. We'll talk about that after you're feeling better." she answered.
"Then what's wrong?" I walked up next to her and watched as she gently sliced tomatoes for our sandwiches. She smiled and shook her head.
"It's nothing dear, really." she failed to assure me. "Why don't you go see Duke and your uncle while I finish making lunch?" I sighed and nodded, forcing a small smile.
"Yes, ma'am." I said before walking out the door. I took in a breath of the warm air. We were about 2-3 weeks away from summer, which meant about a month away from the end of school. Birds were chirping and the sun was shining, it really made me upset that I couldn't go out and ride. But, it was also pretty warm, so I wasn't upset I didn't have to work in the barn. I circled around to the back of the house and saw Gunner and Trixie playing near the barn. I laughed a little and made my way over. I walked into the barn being hit with the smell of horses, hay and oats. I loved it. I walked in farther and once Duke caught sight of me he neighed happily. I grinned and reached through the bars to pet him. "Hey, boy." I said. "Sorry, I can't ride you today. I'll make sure Beck does it, okay?" Duke shook his mane and snorted. 

"That you, Cody?" I heard Uncle Chris call.
"Yeah, it's me." I answered. "Sorry I'm out of my room while I'm grounded."
Did I just apologize for going against a punishment? I thought.
I still wasn't used to some of the changes I had unwittingly undergone.
"You're aunt didn't tell you?" Uncle Chris asked, walking from Zira's stall. "You're not in any trouble anymore. Well, I mean probably for the Kujo thing, but Beck and Laina cleared everything up last night. We're going to talk to your principal today with them. And we figured since you were telling the truth about the Taylor and Lucy thing," he paused and shrugged. "That you were probably telling the truth about shoplifting." I grinned and nodded.
"Yes, yes I was!" I said. "Thank you for believing me- even though you really believed Beck and Laina...." Me and Uncle Chris laughed a little and Uncle Chris stepped forward, wiping his hands with his pocket bandanna.
"Yeah, I'm sorry about that..." he muttered. "I should have believed you." I shrugged one shoulder with a smirk.
"It's okay." I replied. "And look... I'm really, really sorry about Kujo... But, try to understand, he's happier now. He's with his family. And it's not like you and Aunt Hailey paid for him. You only paid some, the people in town paid the rest. So, no one's really out that much money."
"It's not just that, Cody." Uncle Chris started, shoving his bandanna in his back pocket. "Not only is it that you ran away and stole one of our horses, but Kujo had perfect conformation!" I frowned and shook my head.
"Um, what does that mean, I'm still not too good with the horse terms." I said. Uncle Chris sighed, putting a hand on Kujo's old stall.
"He was perfect for a show horse, Cody. He could have been in anything we wanted to put him in, and we don't have another horse like that. The closest we have is Max and his legs are a little short." I pulled at the bottom of my shirt.
"I'm really sorry, Uncle Chris." I said. "I'll work off the difference, I promise." Uncle Chris gave me his cocksure smile and flicked the elbow of my bad arm. "I'll do what I can until it's better. "I promise, sir, I'll pay you back." I added. Uncle Chris grinned wider and nodded.
"Sounds good, kiddo." He gave me a gentle hug then returned to work. I said goodbye to Duke, pet the dogs, then walked back inside. Aunt Hailey handed me a sandwich and some iced tea, sending me off into the dining room. I thought it was funny that at home I almost never ate at the table, and here the only times I didn't was when I was Saturday and I ate my breakfast in the living room while watching the old Transformers cartoon. I bit into the large sandwich (turkey, lettuce, tomatoes, mustard, onions on thick light wheat bread... So good) and grinned. Aunt Hailey made the best sandwiches. I scarfed down the sandwich and iced tea then went to the living room until Laina and Beck or Josh showed up.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

I thought that maybe Beck and Laina would be the first to show up, but they stayed after school with my aunt and uncle to explain my innocence. So when I heard a knock at the door my heart started racing. I grinned, biting my lower lip. I fussed with my hair and walked from the sitting room. Gunner and Trixie were standing at the door, eager to find out who it was. I pushed them back and cleared my throat, pulled down my shirt then opened the door. There he stood, all cute and buff. He gave me a country smile and nod.

"Hey." he said. I tucked my hair behind my ears.

"Hi." I said. He rubbed his hand over his buzz cut brown hair and blinked his big brown eyes. "Um, please come in."
"Thanks." Josh said, walking inside. Gunner and Trixie went crazy sniffing them, but I snapped at them to go lay down and they listened. Josh pointed to my arm. "How are you feeling?"
"Oh, I'm feeling much-" sneeze "Better, thank you." The both of us laughed a little and I asked Josh to sit in the living room. We saw awkwardly for a few minutes and I shifted in my seat. I cleared my throat. "Um, thanks for coming over, Josh. Sorry I had to cancel our date."
"No problem, I understand." he answered. He frowned at me and then squinted. "You're face is a little red, are you okay?" he asked. I sneezed again and nodded.
"Yeah, I think my fever is coming back." I replied.
"Well, let me get you something for it." he offered, standing up.
"Oh, no, don't worry, I can get it." I insisted, standing up too. Both of us walked back into the kitchen and searched for some Tylenol. "Hm, I can't find it..." I muttered. I moved a few pill bottles out of the way and then saw the bright red logo. "There it is." I pulled out the bottle and looked at it, only then realizing I wouldn't be able to open the child proof cap with on hand. Giggling, I held it out to Josh. "Um, would you mind?" He laughed a little and took the bottle from me. He opened it, poured out a couple pills and grabbed my hand, steadying it as he handed me the pills. And just then Beck, Laina and my aunt and uncle walked in. Me and Josh looked at them and then at each other. He smiled at me.
"I should go." he said.
"You don't want to stay?" I asked.
"No, it's just my mother's waiting for me at home." he replied. I nodded, closing my hand around the pills.
"Alright, well, thanks for stopping by." I said. He gave me a gentle, awkward hug then left without a word to anyone else. I swallowed the pills with some water before turning to everyone. As soon as I looked at Beck all I could see was a giant bruise on the left side of his face. I gasped and rushed over, gently putting my hand near it. "Oh, Beck, what happened?" I asked. He smiled a little and touched my hand, taking it away from his face.

"It's nothing..." he answered. "I was trying to find my way to the bathroom last night in the dark and I hit my cheek on the corner of the wall."
"It looks like it was bleeding!" I said, concerned. He chuckled a little.
"I hit it hard." he explained. I pouted.
"It looks painful."
"I'm fine, really. We have chores, though."
"I'll come out with you."

"Oh, no." Aunt Hailey said, stepping forward. "You're fever's coming back, you need to get up to your room and relax." Beck smiled at me.

"Don't worry, we'll come up after." he assured me. I sighed, then nodded and reluctantly went up stairs, sitting on my bed. Apart of me felt like Beck wasn't really telling the truth about his bruise. Who hits a wall at that angle anyway? And who hits it so hard that  make themselves bleed, especially when you're trying to find your way through the dark. My hands are always out in front of me, feeling around for stuff... But, I didn't have any reason to believe he would lie to me. I also felt bad that Beck and Laina had to do all my chores. I hoped Uncle Chris would pay them extra for it. Laina didn't get paid every time, because she was more volunteering, but Uncle Chris would slide her a 20 once and a while. I coughed and sneezed a couple time, making my shoulder ache, then my phone went off. I had mixed emotions when I saw it was Mom. But, I hadn't talked to her in a month or so, so I answered.

"Hello?"
"Hey, sweety!" Mom said happily. "How are you? Oh, I've missed you!" I sighed.
"I'm alright. Still coughing and my shoulder still hurts."
"Yeah, I heard about that... I'm sorry, honey. Other than that you're good? I heard you got in trouble."
"Yup, I did, but it's all fine now... How are you guys doing?" Obviously, I was eager to change the subject.
"Oh, we're doing alright. We all still feel weird without you. Is it still weird there without us?"
"Nope." I replied abruptly. "I've adapted really well, it all feels normal. I miss Fiona, though. But, I made new friends." I was playing down how I really felt, pretty much just out of spite. I missed Dad and Fender quite a bit and I missed Fiona like crazy. I didn't miss Mom too much...
"O- oh... Okay, then... Um, your father would like to talk to you. I lo-"
"Oh, okay! Put him on!" There was a pause.
"Sure, sweety..." I kind of felt bad, but I was still angry with her. I was anxious to talk to Dad, though.

"Hello?" The sound of his voice was amazing.
"Dad!"
"Hey, there, Cody. How are you? Heard you were in an accident. Wish I could be there."
"I know, Dad... I'm doing fine, though. Still a little sore and still coughing, but I'm doing much better."
"Oh, I'm so glad to hear that... Hang in there, kiddo. I'll see you soon. Stay out of trouble."
I chuckled a little. "Oh, Dad, you know me... I'm always in trouble."
He laughed and I could just see his bright white smile. "Alright, sweety, I'd put you on with your brother, but he's talking to Fiona right now... Can't keep those two away from each other. You better stay away from any boys."
I paused. "Um, sure thing, Dad." I said with a giggle. He chuckled back and sighed.
"I thought so... Well, I'll talk to you soon, kid, okay?"
"Alright, Dad... I love you."
"Love you too."
I hung up my phone and blew my bangs up. I stood up out of bed and looked out my window. From my room I had the perfect view of the barn and I could see Laina and Beck working. Beck was wheeling out a wheelbarrow of dirty shavings and Laina was working Vector. I sighed and slid my window open, hearing little nickers from the horses and the dogs barking. Back home I didn't have any pets. I used to have a hamster, but I was like five and it was dead, but here I had a horse and a puppy. I want a fish... I thought to myself. I should get one... I pulled myself off the floor and sat back down on my bed, flicking the TV on. As I watched I couldn't keep my mind on the shows, I just kept thinking of my situation. I turned off the TV and decided I needed to give myself a minute to think about things. I made a mental list.

1. Do I like it here?
2. If so, why?
3. Do I want to go home?
4. If so, why?
5. How do I feel about my appearance?
6. Do I want to change to better fit in?
7. Do I like Josh?
8. Do I like Beck?

I think that's about it... I thought. Now, let's go down it one by one.

1. Do I like it here? I had to think for a minute, but then decided, yes, I loved it. And why was because I felt like I had a real family, an actual close knit family. I had good friends, nice family, good living conditions, animals and a good work ethic. I never used to care about responsibility or work ethic or anything like that, but since I got here I started to. And that was another reason, being in Tennessee turned me into a better person and gave me a reason to live, taking care of the animals. I loved taking care of them and wanted to do it for as long as I could. So that was one and 2...

3. Do I want to go home? That answer was quick, no, I didn't. I missed my friends and (some of) my family, heck I even missed Mr. Maxwell, but I didn't want to leave. I loved Tennessee and even though it had only been a few months, I couldn't imagine leaving. Especially Duke. I loved Duke so much and I wouldn't want to leave without him. I kind of wished that my family and friends would move down here instead, maybe stay in the house with us. There was four unused bedrooms as well as two unused sitting rooms/dens and one of the rooms had a bathroom in it. Why didn't I take that room? I thought for a second. I tucked my hair behind my ears. I didn't like the attitude some of the people in the town took with me, though... They wouldn't take anytime to get to know me, they just looked at my hair and clothes and instantly wrote me off. But, maybe if I dressed more the part they would accept me... But, I didn't want to completely change who I was for some strangers so they'd stop giving me weird looks... Anyway, that's another number on the list... So, that's three and 4, no I don't want to go home.

5. How do I feel about my appearance? As a female teenager, I never really like the way I look, but I like the fact that it's me. I don't change myself because of other people. But, I also like to change up my look once and a while to stay fresh. I hadn't changed anything but my clothes and amount of piercings in my ear (I'm up to three in one ear and two in the other) in seven years... But, I like my style of clothing. I love band t-shirts and skinny jeans and tanktops and graphic t's... But, could I change slightly, still liking my style, but not spitting on Southern ways? That's the next question.

6. Do I want to change to better fit in? I had already decided I would change my attitude. I wouldn't cause my aunt or uncle anymore trouble, I would be perfect in school and at home. So, that was a change. It didn't really mean no more pranks, but I still hadn't pulled one in a while. I didn't want to pull a serious one and get in trouble. Everyone thought the mud and water buckets were pretty funny and they got me back with a pie to the face one night... So, innocent pranks are fine, but nothing big. I would handle my chores better, doing a better job, maybe even stepping up the amount I did. So, that's all changes for the better, but did I want to change the way I looked and my personality to fit in? No, I didn't... But, I wanted to change it so I didn't bring shame and embarrassment to my aunt and uncle. I heard people whispering about them and there "freaky niece". People were lowering there respect for my aunt and uncle all because of me, and I didn't want to do that to them. I would have to do something it...

7. Do I like Josh? I took a deep breath, thinking about. I have to say, I-

"Cody?" I heard. I stood of my bed and opened my door, Aunt Hailey was standing there with a smile on her face. "Hi, sweety, how are you feeling?" she asked. I walked back to my bed.

"I kind of have a headache." I answered. Aunt Hailey frowned and sat down next to me.
"You've seemed kind of stressed lately. Do you want to talk?" she asked. I shook my head.
"No, I'm okay." I replied. "I've worked most of it out myself. One of the things I was stressed about anyway was Fiona hadn't talked to me in a while, but she called last night." Aunt Hailey grinned wide.
"Oh, I'm glad." she said. "Can I bring you anything?"
"Actually, I would love a glass of water." I replied. "I'm feeling kind of tired, I might take a nap." Aunt Hailey touched my leg and nodded.
"I'll be right back." she said. After a minute she came back with a big glass of ice water and a cookie. I laughed a little. That's just like Aunt Hailey to bring you a cookie at random when you asked for something else. I thanked her and she left. After I ate the cookie and drank some of the water I lay down and fell asleep right away.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

I woke up to the sound of Laina and Beck whispering to each other.

"Wake her up." Laina insisted quietly. "You guys need to talk."

"No," Beck replied in a sad tone. "Not now... We can talk later..."
"She needs to know." replied Laina.
"Not now." Beck said again. "I'll tell her later on." Laina sighed deeply.
"Fine." she said, defeated. I pretended to just wake. I forced a yawn and faked a stretch then looked at the two of them and laughed a little.

"Watching me sleep?" I joked. They both laughed. Trixie leapt up on my bed and licked my face. I laughed a little and scratched her head.

"No, we just came in. We were deciding whether or not to wake you... Did we?" Laina asked. I shook my head.
"Nah, I don't think so." I lied. "I only wanted to take a short nap anyway." I sat up, feeling an ache in my shoulder and wincing. Beck and Laina frowned.

"Are you okay?" Beck asked.
"Oh, yeah, I'm fine." I answered. "Just a little sore."
"Do you want some Vicodin or something?" he asked. I shook my head.
"No," I answered. "It'll just knock me out again. Did one of you walk Duke?"
"I did." Beck said with a raise of his hand.
"How'd he do?"
"He did okay. He does better with you."
I smiled. "That's because he's my baby." I said. They both chuckled a little then Beck looked at his watched and started getting fidgety.
"Um, I really have to go." he said. Me and Laina frowned at him.
"Oh, okay." I said.
"I'll be back tomorrow, okay? Feel better Cody. See you in school, Laina."

"Bye, Beck." Laina said in a confused tone. Beck quickly left the room, leaving me and Laina staring at the door. "That was weird." Laina said.
"Very." I agreed.


© 2012 Elizabeth Reed


Author's Note

Elizabeth Reed
All feedback as appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on November 18, 2012
Last Updated on November 18, 2012
Tags: Teen, Teenager, Angst, Farm, Horse, Horses, Barn, School, Love, Romance, Trouble


Author

Elizabeth Reed
Elizabeth Reed

NH



About
I absolutely love to write, but I'm not very confident in myself. I would love honest feedback. Negative or not. If you'd like to see pictures of my characters, go to my photos. The letter(s) at th.. more..

Writing