Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Elizabeth Reed

Sitting on the steps of our castle I stared out at the long driveway that led to the main road. I fantasized about packing my things and walking out, never to come back. But, Mother would just have me brought back. I tried it before when I was 14, I hadn't been gone 3 hours and her guards found me and took me back home. I put up quite a fight, mind you. I sighed as I looked down at the sketchpad on my lap and started drawing the driveway. Although it reminded me of Mother's twisted way of thinking and how high she thought we were, it was a very beautiful yard. The driveway is long and twisty. Flowers and bushes lining it all the way up. A tall stone wall covered with vines in the front with a golden gate. It was quite a sight. Every once and a while you could see a villager come up and stare at our house. I've actually seen a couple of them come up and pull on the bars in failed attempts to brake a piece off. Sometimes when I go into town with our cook, Luke, I'll bring some coins and hand them out to people. Sometimes people will yell at me for wearing the crown when I'm not a princess. But, when I explain that I am and why I wear these clothes they fall to the ground and start apologizing. I always try to pick them up quickly, because it's awful to see them act that way. I glanced up at the gate and saw a little girl standing there, staring at our castle. I stood up and watched her for a second before I started walking down. When I reached the gate she started to back up, drawing her arms close to her chest. 
"It's okay." I said gently. "Do you want to come in?" She smiled shyly and nodded. I opened the large gate and held it for her as she slowly stepped inside. "Would you like to eat lunch with me?" I asked. Her face lit up. She couldn't have been more then 7.
"May I?" she asked. I smiled and took her hand. 
"Of course!" I led her up the driveway and into my house. Guards and attendants gave me odd looks as I led her into our dining room. Her eyes sparkled as she looked around at the huge room. The long oak table, the white silk table cloth, red velvet chairs, fine china and silverware, the diamond chandelier hanging from the ceiling. I could tell she had never seen anything like it. I pulled out the tallest chair, where father used to sit, and helped her up to sit in it. 
"Are you sure this alright, Your Majesty?" she asked. I smiled and crouched next to her with a smile, saying, "Please, call me Annabell." Her eyes widened. "A- are you sure?" she asked. I touched her back and laughed.
 "Of course, I'm sure!" I cried. "Now, what should I call you?"
"My name is Sarah." 
"Well, miss Sarah, let me tell my cook you are here, so he can cook up something good." I stood up and walked to the kitchen. Our kitchen was very big. We had six stoves and a dozen counters. Pots hanging everywhere. I ran my finger across the clean, marble counters as I looked for Luke. 
"Your Majesty," one of the maids, Camille, said. "Is everything alright?"
"Yes, Camille. I was just looking for Luke. I have a friend in the dining room and was wondering if he could make us something special for lunch." I answered.
"Oh, miss Annabell," Camille said. "Please tell me you didn't let another villager in here. Your mother will be very angry." I smiled and rolled my eyes.
"I'm alright with it." I said. "Just let Luke know, alright?"
"Alright, Your Majesty." she said. She gave me a small curtsy before I turned and walked back to the dining room. Sarah was still seated and staring up in wonder at the crystal chandelier above her. I pulled out a seat next to her and sat down. I gave her a quick once over. I felt bad for her. She was wearing clothes that the servants wouldn't even use as rags. Ever since I was little I had the finest clothes provided for me and this little girl wasn't wearing a piece of clothing that didn't have a sewn or open tear in it. I couldn't imagine what she was thinking as she looked up at the chandelier. She had probably never seen anything like it before, but it didn't phase me since we had about 10 of them around the castle.
"Do you like that?" I asked.  The light from the chandelier sparkled off of her bright green eyes as she slowly nodded. I put my hand under my chin and said, "How would you like to have a real diamond?" She froze for a second before slowly looking at me. 
"Really?" she whispered.
"Really." I said. I looked at my hand and slipped off my diamond ring. "Would you like to have this?" She had a shocked look on her face, eyes wide, mouth slightly open. She managed a nod then slowly reached out her small hand and took it from me, holding it as gently as she could. "That's worth a lot of money." I said. "Take good care of it."
"Oh, I will!" she said. Luke walked out minutes later with two bowls of pasta. Simple, but delicious. And even more so to villagers. He set the two hot bowls down in front of us, handing us each forks. "Thank you very much, sir." Sarah said. Luke smiled and gave a small bow.
"It was my pleasure, Your Highness." he said. Sarah's eyes glittered and he walked back to the kitchen. That's Luke for you. Always trying to make people happy. He's a wonderful man. Me and Sarah started eating our food and not 4 minutes later did Mother walk in and gasp. Me and Sarah looked up at her at the same time, only Sarah's face was way more scared then mine. She got off the chair quickly and got to her knees. 
"Your Highness..." she said. I rolled my eyes and walked over to her, picking her up and setting her to her feet.
"Annabell, come into the hallway. I would like a word with you." Mother said.
"Yes, Mother." I replied. I gave Sarah a gentle nudge towards the seat, telling her she could keep eating. She slowly got up into the seat and continued eating her lunch as I stepped out into the hallway with Mother.
"What do you think you are doing?!" Mother cried. "What have I told you about bringing peasants into my home?"
"It's my home too, Mother." I said. "And Sarah is my friend."
"You just met her today, didn't you?" she asked, tapping her foot. I sighed and turned away. She grabbed my shoulder and turned me back to face her, saying, "Answer the question, Annabell."
"Yes, Mother, I did." I answered. "But, who really cares?! She's a little girl!"
"Do not yell at me, young lady." Mother snapped. "You need to stop this foolishness!" I could feel the angry welling up inside me. I couldn't help but yell at her! And I wasn't about to stop now.
"No! You stop, Mother! Sarah is a sweet little girl and she deserves to have some happiness in her life! You don't care about anyone in this country, yet you're determined to run it! You are a power hungry person, Mother. And I want no part of it!" I pushed past her and walked up he staircase to my room. Mother just stood there, asking her attendant if that was true. I slammed my door shut and sat on my bed. I couldn't believe I had just blown up at my Mother like that. That was so wrong... I really shouldn't have. But, I wasn't about to apologize! I stood up from my bed and walked to my calendar, hoping something was going to happen to get my mind off of it. I found the date and read what I had written down. Mother's Bridal Shower. Great. I have to get all dressed up. I always get dressed up for special things. Especially this, because it does make Mother happy. The bridal shower was at 6 o'clock. Six hours away. I sighed as I walked to my wardrobe and looked through all the dresses I had hanging. My mind wondered to Sarah for a moment, but then I heard Mother yelling at her attendant, Susan to get her out. I pulled out a satin red dress and hung it on the knob of my dresser. That was the least regal thing I had. I wanted no part of the gathering. It would just be a bunch of Mothers snobby friends getting together to give Mother presents she doesn't need. I sighed as I walked back to my bed and laid down. Most people dream of being a princess. I dream of being a normal girl.


© 2012 Elizabeth Reed


Author's Note

Elizabeth Reed
All feedback is appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
Added on September 21, 2012
Last Updated on September 21, 2012
Tags: Princess, Power, Love, Servant, Maid, Honor, Royalty, Queen, Horse, Horses


Author

Elizabeth Reed
Elizabeth Reed

NH



About
I absolutely love to write, but I'm not very confident in myself. I would love honest feedback. Negative or not. If you'd like to see pictures of my characters, go to my photos. The letter(s) at th.. more..

Writing