Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Elizabeth Reed

After tying Duke out back with Wesley's horse, Tag, I helped Wesley clean up his house. His house was so messy, but we got it looking very nice.
 
"There," Wesley said as he threw the last piece of trash away. "Now all we need to do is go to the market to get some food."
"Oh, I'll do it!" I said happily.
"No, Anna. It's okay. I'll get them." wesley offered.
"No, I want to, Wesley! Please?" I insisted.
He laughed and nodded. "Alright, fine. You can go." he agreed. I smiled huge and walked out the door. I loved to go shopping. There was always so many nice people in town. It just made me feel good. I grabbed one of Wesley's baskets and headed into town. Many people gave me nice looks, but some looked like they were searching for my crown.
"Princess?" A women asked. "Is that you?"
I smiled and nodded. "Yes, it's me." I answered. "But, it's not princess, anymore. It's just-" I paused. Mother never approved of nicknames. If it wasn't "Princess" or "Your Majesty" it was Annabell. I smiled a bit more. "Anna." I finished.
"Well, what happened?" she asked. "If you don't mind me asking."
"You can ask anything you like. It's a free town. I have no control over you anymore. Especially because your older then me. If anything, you've got control over me." I said. "But, I'm rambling. Me and-" I paused for a split second. "Her highness," I continued smoothly. "Got into a fight. I'm no longer the princess of England. Or even a Leahmier, for that matter. I'm a Williams."
"Oh, did you marry?" she asked me.
I smiled and laughed a bit. "No, miss," I said. "I'm staying with a friend of mine. So, I'm simply taking his name. I do not wish to have any associtation with my former family." The women had a small look of worry on her face. "Now, don't you worry." I said. "Everything will be alright."
"I'm just worried about what's going to happen to England. Without you there to talk some sense into Her highness, what will happen?" the woman asked. I looked down with a thoughtful face.
"I'm sure everything will be alright." I answered after a moment. "You have a good day, now, miss." She smiled and nodded at me before walking by. I finished my walk into town and started filling my basket with fruits, vegetables and bread.
"Hello, Princess. Fine day we're having, huh?" The grocer said.
I smiled and nodded. "It is quite fine, yes." I answered. "But, it's not Princess anymore. It's Anna."
"Anna? What happened?" the man asked, leaning against his table.
"Me and Her Highness got into a fight. So, I left. I'm staying with my friend."
"No longer in the Leahmier household, eh?"
"No longer a Leahmier, either. I've taken my friend's last name. Williams."
"Well, Anna Williams, you have a wonderful day and enjoy that food."
"Well, I have to pay for it first, sir." I said, smirking a bit. Calling other people sir felt a bit strange, since I'd never done it, but I kind of liked it.
"Oh, no! Not for you, dear. You just go on and take that."
"Oh, but I couldn't, sir!"
"You can and you will." he ordered. I smiled and looked at the food. 
"Well, thank you very much, sir. Have a nice day."
"You too, Anna."
I turned and walked back to Wesley's. I was very happy. He is a very nice man. I'll have to repay him in someway. I thought. I walked into Wesley's house and set the basket on the table. 
"Wesley! I'm home!" I cried. Wesley walked out from his room and smiled. 
"Got the food?" he asked. I nodded as I started unloading the food.
"For free!" I said happily.
"Free? Why?"
"I'm not sure. The grocer just told me to take it. He insisted, actually." I explained. Wesley looked oddly at the food and shrugged.
"Well, free is better than cheap."
I looked at the food spread out on the table and picked up the bread and a knife. I knew how to cook a lot of things, thanks to Luke. Wesley smiled at me and took the bread from my hand. "I'll make dinner tonight." he said.
I smiled back and asked, "How come? I can make something."
"Because. You're a guest." He patted my should and added, "Why don't you go outside? Draw one of those pictures you do. I'll call you when it's ready." Wesley walked into the livingroom and pulled a sketchpad from one of the side tables, handing it to me with a smile. "I always keep a spare for your visit." he explained. I thanked him and took sketchbook and a kitchen chair then walked out the door. I walked into town a ways so I could draw a good picture of all the people. I set the chair up, facing town and sat down. I loved sketching. It makes you really take a good look at things. You have to observe everything around you to make it just perfect. I always seem to zone out when I'm drawing, like nothing but me and my sketchpad exist, and what I'm looking at is simply a picture that I'm copying. I began to sketch everything and everyone I saw and soon I totally zoned out, oblivious to everything. Including the carriage being led by a spooked horse that was coming straight for me. I had no idea until a young man shoved me out of the way as the horse raced by. I let out the girliest scream ever as I hit the ground. The man got to his feet quickly and helped me up. I brushed of my clothes while trying to compose myself, scanning the ground for my sketchpad, hoping my picture wasn't ruined.
"Thank you so much, sir. I really should pay more attention, but I-" I froze when I looked up from the ground and saw his face. He was so handsome. Black hair and the most stunning blue eyes I had ever seen. He took my hand with a very serious look.
"Are you alright, miss?" he asked. I nodded and blushed. 
"Y- yes, yes, I am. Thank you so much." I stammered.
"You should pay more attention, miss." he said. "You could have been killed."
"Yes, I know. Thank you. I just- zone out when I draw. I really should have been watching myself."
"As long as you're alright. Can I walk you home?"
I smiled and looked down, still blushing. "Sure. If you'd like." I answered. He took my arm and started walking.
"My name is Kale, by the way." he said. "Kale Peters."
"Anna Williams." I replied.
"Anna... That's quite a pretty name."
I smiled and tried to stop blushing. But, he was so cute, I couldn't help it.
"Where do you live?" he asked.
"Just down the road. I'm living with my friend, Wesley Williams."
"Your friend? You can't be any older then sixteen."
"Seventeen, actually."
"Why, if you don't mind me asking, aren't you living with your parents?"
"Me and Her Hi-" I paused. I couldn't tell him I was the princess! What if that would turn him away? Many people don't like to be friends with royals. I mean, I have friends because many people know the real me. But, he didn't. So, maybe it would scare him off. I couldn't tell him. Not until he found out that I'm not a snob. "Me and my mother got into a fight and I left." I finished.
"I see. I'm sorry to hear that, miss." His voice so genuin... And manly. I stopped in front of Wesley's door and smiled at Kale. 
"Thank you for walking me home." I said.
"Thank you for letting me. It was my pleasure."
"Would you like to stay for dinner?" I blurted out. Where did that come from? It just came out.
He smirked a bit and nodded. "Yes," he said. "I would love to stay for dinner." I opened the door and walked inside. Wesley came out from his room paused when he saw Kale. He looked him over.
"Hello." he said. "I'm Wesley."
"Kale." Kale replied as he shook his hand.
"Kale is going to stay for dinner. Is that alright?" I asked.
"Sure," Wesley said. "I guess." I smiled at Kale as I felt my cheeks get red yet again.


© 2012 Elizabeth Reed


Author's Note

Elizabeth Reed
All feedback is appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
Added on September 21, 2012
Last Updated on September 21, 2012
Tags: Princess, Power, Love, Servant, Maid, Honor, Royalty, Queen, Horse, Horses


Author

Elizabeth Reed
Elizabeth Reed

NH



About
I absolutely love to write, but I'm not very confident in myself. I would love honest feedback. Negative or not. If you'd like to see pictures of my characters, go to my photos. The letter(s) at th.. more..

Writing