Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 18-The City on Waves

Chapter 18-The City on Waves

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 18 of Vector of the Heavens

"

It was about a two days sail from Gueron to reach Unto, and when the ship set anchor in port, the group were asked for identification.
“And why do we need to identify ourselves sir?” Riku asked.
“You haven't heard? The King of Malendor struck down and killed the King of Xelador. So anyone from Malendor or Hylia or any one of their allies is not welcome. So ID please.” Link pulled out his magic card to show them that he was from Galor, and they let him pass through.
“Now, can I see your ID's please?” the guard said looking at the other three.
“They're with me Johnson.” A voice boomed behind the group. Morgan was standing on the edge of the ship and jumped down onto the dock and walked up and hugged the guard.
“Morgan! You son of a ogre! How long has it been?!”
“Way to long my friend.” Morgan said as he got down from the ship and embraced his friend. “Allow me to introduce you to Link, the man of Galor, Riku, Traito and Thrito. They are welcome here.”
“Which country do they hail from Morgan? I have my orders unfortunately.” Morgan was about to speak when Riku made a slashing motion by his neck.
“They...are from...look Johnson. Something bigger than you or I is going on here, and these men are secret agents of Galor trying to get to the bottom of it.”
“Really my friend?”
“Cast a net over the stern Johnson.” When Morgan said this, Johnson seemed to understand right away. He motioned for the group to follow him and they made their way to a shack right next to the entrance to the port. Johnson let the group inside and offered them all something to drink.
“I can try to get a loophole from the government to try and let you guys into the city unnoticed, but at this rate, you might have to hide down in the lower levels of the island.”
“Lower levels? Why not call it the sewers?” Link asked.
“This island is not built off of land, but rather off a platform on land.”
“Pardon?”
“Beneath the land itself, is a large network of tunnels and platforms that stand above the waters of the ocean. Think of it as if the island were on stilts, but a lot more secure.”
“And...the 'stilts' as you called them have watter running next to them.”
“Yes, at high tide. Usually during low tide the land become visible and falling off the edge means that you will not have the water to catch you. It is quite an ingenious system. For now, I will try to get you a room in the tavern, but if not, I suggest you hide down there. The people down there don't have much, but they are very friendly.”
“I can vouch for that.” Morgan piped up. “I know that place almost as well as I know the sea. We would be safe down there.”
“I would prefer a room at the tavern, but all right.” Riku said.
“All right. Give me a few hours. I'll be right back. Feel free to return to your ship if you wish, but do not enter the town. If the Watch catches you, then you might end up being either deported or jailed.” With that said, Jackson took off into town leaving the group in the shack.
“So tell me Morgan,” Riku inquired, “how do you know Jackson anyways?”
“Well, before I started working for Galor, I was a ship-hand for a merchant ship here in Unto. Jackson was also on the ship with me, and we became good friends. We had meals together, fought side by side against pirates, shared stories of our past, you name it. When I reached Galor though, I thought it was a beautiful country, and that I could find a new life here. Mainly with a woman. Jackson didn't share the same feeling and stayed with his life on the sea. I had fun on the shore for a few years, then realized that I missed the sea. And since my finances with the government weren't all that wonderful at the time, I offered my services in the government merchant ships and sailed the seas once again. However, I haven't seen Jackson because my ship never made it's way to Unto any time during the last several years. So it was indeed an honor to see my friend again.”
“And what was with the saying, 'cast a net over the stern'?”
“Oh! That!” Morgan began bellowing with laughter, causing some of the group to nearly fall down with surprise.
“Back when the two of us were still young fresh faces on our ship, the crew was fishing with nets, trying to get food for dinner that night. Well, me and Jackson were by the helm of the ship, where we saw a large school of fish right off the stern of the ship. Well, we grabbed a net, and tossed it over the back despite the many protests we heard from the crew. We caught a large number of fish, but we got the net stuck in the rudder! So we had to furl the sails, use oars to stop the boat, and they forced me and Jackson into the water to untangle the mess. So that became our little catch phrase, which to us means, don't make a stupid mistake.”
“Gotcha.”





Jackson returned later that night, and informed them that he could not get them a room in town, so they would have to hide down in the lower levels. Riku was slightly annoyed, but agreed. Jackson led them out of the shack, then to a stone wall. He knocked three times, then there was a knock seemingly coming from the other side of the wall. The wall suddenly burst open and revealed a rather ragged old man standing there.
“How many to enter today, Mr. Jackson?” the man asked.
“Five men for the night. All of them half-elves.”
“Half-elves eh? Bought time we got some of those. The most recent guest of ours was a she-elf.”
“An elf? In the lower levels?”
“Less talk Mr. Johnson, more moving. The watch will be making their patrol soon.”
“Right. Of course. Down we go laddies!” The group made their way into a dark, fairly smelly corridor. The old gatekeeper then took a nearby torch and walked down a flight of stairs. After about 32 steps, they reached a doorway opening to a large network of planks, bridges, and wooden shacks. It was like a grid more than anything else. And since it was high tide, water would splash up onto parts of the bridges from time to time.
“Right this way. You will be given accommodations with the elf I spoke of earlier.” He led them past a couple of shacks, then to a slightly smaller shack with no doorway.
“Hey! Lady! You've going to put up some guests for a while. Come out and say hello. Your little gate can wait, can't it?!”
“Gate? What gate do you speak of?” Riku asked.
“Oh, this little lady washed up on shore a few weeks ago during the big meteor shower. She stayed with us then found our little stone wall with the strange markings all over it and has been trying to make sense out of it for days, yelling all these weird things about the goddesses, the guardians, blah blah blah. You ask me, I think she's a bit crazy. I'll leave you all to get situated and know each other.” With that he turned and leaved, making his way back to the gate by the port.
“Wait! Can you at least tell me her name?!”
“Riku?!” Riku whirled around and nearly fell over from shock.
“Master Aqua?!”





“Lord Demise, the undead soldiers are almost to the shores of Unto. They will destroy the gate.”
“No, the gate cannot be destroyed Elitrian.”
“My lord?”
“It is not just one of the gates, it is THE gate.”
“What...?! How can you be so sure?!”
“I have been to see it with my own eyes. There is nothing we can do but one thing.”
“What is your command my lord?”
“Take the dead of Unto with you Elitrian, and destroy Unto. Leave no trace of it to be found.”
“Very good my lord.”



© 2016 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Please tell me what you think of each chapter with a review. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on March 14, 2014
Last Updated on February 15, 2016
Tags: fantasy, adventure


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.