Chapter 9- The Great Sea

Chapter 9- The Great Sea

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 9 of Vector of the Heavens

"

It was a beautiful morning.  Link was looking out over the edge of the travel ship that he and Riku were going to use to get to Winds Breath.  He watched as the merchant ships came and went and got ready for the day.  They were still in the capital city.  The River of Galor ran through a great portion of the country.  Originally starting in the mountains, it splits in two at a great fork.  One fork leads to the river that forms Feather Falls, the other leads to the Capital city.  These two mighty rivers form back together only at one point.  When the river opens into the great sea and the city of Winds Breath is visible.  There one could find ships of great magnitude.  You could see war ships from the lands of Gueron, bold skippers from the country of Ziva, and simple rowboats from people from every corner of Galor.  Riku walked up behind him and let him know that it was time for them to cast off.  Eraqus had given them a guide to help them make their way down the river as well as make sure there was someone to bring the boat back.  Eraqus walked up to the two of them and gave them the information they needed once they got to Winds Breath.
“The ship is called the King of Suns.  It will only set sail if you give the captain this letter.”  He handed an envelope to Riku, and he put it in his satchel.  “Were your findings successful Riku?”
“Your libraries don’t disappoint master.  I have marked all the potential locations of the portals.  It may be a long shot, but I’m afraid that the world might be in danger.  I have to go.  Thank you for your hospitality, your resources, and your ship.”
“You and your family is always welcome in my house Riku.  That goes for you too young Link.  I hope you will bring your beautiful wife you keep telling me about next time.”
“I think I will Eraqus.  Thank you for everything.”  Riku looked over at Link, and had a sense of déjà vu.  As they got ready to head down the river, Riku went up to Link and placed his hand on his shoulder.
“Link, are you sure about this choice you’ve made?  It takes a long time to travel this land.  You will not likely see your homeland for a very long time.  Are you sure you wish to go with me?”
“I have made my decision Riku.  Don’t worry about me.  I want to travel the world.  It’s not very often that one gets to see such rare sights.”  Riku walked away and got ready to cast off down the river, realizing that Link was a lot like himself when he was younger.  Before they left, Eraqus gifted them both with swords and shields for their journey.
“These shields were made from the strongest metals that Galor has to offer.  And these swords were made to cut through the strongest stone.  I hope these weapons will serve you well on your journey.”
 They thanked him gratefully, untied from the docks, then Link waved one last goodbye to Eraqus as they drifted out of sight on the mighty river.  Eraqus looked out over the river, and one of his attendants who was with him asked,
“Master, did you wish that you had gone with them?”
“No, I’ve gotten too old for this sort of thing.  When one has immortality, some things become, tiring.  I would rather live the rest of eternity trying to see what I can do to help people from a position of government, not a position of violence and war.  By the way, did you manage to figure out the different locations of the portals?”
“Yes we did my lord.  There are about nine total.”
“Any of them in this country?”
“No my lord.  According to the texts, this land didn’t even exist yet when the new gods came into power.”
“I see.  Well then, we shall leave them to it then I guess.”
“What of the ancient prophecy my lord? Surely if the world is going to be thrown into chaos, then shouldn’t you have told them?”
“What they are searching for and what they hope to achieve relies on them getting to the source of the prophecy first.  It would do them no good if they knew what was going to happen next.  What we need to do is make sure the militia is ready in case if the darkness comes here to this country.”
“Very good my lord.”

 

After about a day’s journey down the river, Riku and Link finally came in sight of Winds Breath, a town that was built similar to a pier.  The streets had the ocean on all three sides, boats were in the places where wagons and carts usually went, and everywhere there was a water system for carrying drinkable water to each and every home.  It was truly an elaborate sight.  As they made their way through one of the many channels throughout the city, they came across a place that was boarded off from all civilians.  On the only gate leading into that place, there was a sign that said “All property beyond this point belongs to the Government of Galor.”  Riku looked at the insignia on the sign, then on the one on the envelope.
“That has to be the place we’re looking for.”  He jumped out of the small boat, and went up to the guard by the gate.  He showed him the envelope, the guard looked at the letter, then motioned him to follow.  Link jumped out of the boat leaving it to their guide and he began to make his way back to the capital city by simply rowing.  As Link passed through the gate, he saw a great multitude of ships.  All of them were giant multi-masted ships that each had the sigil of Galor on the sails.  Link followed Riku and the guard until they reached their ship.  The King of Suns had three masts, two lower decks, and was about fifty yards long and ten yards wide.  It was indeed a beauty.  The guard hailed the ship and the captain walked down to meet the two new owners of the ship.
“Hello there sunshine, I am the captain of this here ship, Boko J. Skip.  Don’t ask me how I got my name, just please don’t.”  Riku and Link were slightly confused at first, but then got around to introducing themselves.  Boko lead them onto the ship, and gave them the grand tour.  He showed them the many cannons the ship had to offer, the amazing strength of the sails, and the crews knowledge of the waters of the world.  After all this, they went into Boko’s cabin and laid out a map.
“Alright mister Riku, what course do we set?”
“Our first destination is to be here, on the western shores of Gueron.  Around there is where I will begin my search.  It will likely take me and my company three days to reach the northern shores.  So when my team leaves the ship, you and your crew will sail around to the northern shores at the city of Burnaria and wait for us there.  When I get back, I will tell you of our next destination.  If I am not back to the ship by the sunrise of the fifth day of the second week, you are to take the ship and sail back to Galor and tell Eraqus we are most likely dead or off in another world.”
“Strange orders, but very well.  You do have command of where this vessel points her sails.  And after that?”
“I will let you know them when I get back to the ship, as I said before.”
“Very well sir.  According to the charts, we will have to sail for about three days until we come in sight of Gueron, and will likely take another day to sail around to the western shores with a fair wind.  Without a wind to help us, it will likely take two days.  Then once you have disembarked, my crew and I will likely take a day’s sail to reach the northern shores.  There we will wait for you until you return or we are forced to sail for home.”
“Excellent.  Now captain, if the provisions are ready, I would like to cast off immediately.”
“I’m sorry sir, but you came on such short notice that for us to stock the ship well enough will at least take us until tomorrow at sunrise.”
“Fine.  I will wait.”  With that, the captain started giving out orders and the men across the ship began to come to life.  Link went out to the point of the ship and looked out into the open sea.  Having been confined to a ranch like he had his whole life, he had never seen something of this magnitude.  A plain of water that seemed to stretch and touch the sky itself.
“Aye, that view is what got me hooked to a life at sea myself too.”   Link turned around to find an older man with a scar over his right cheek standing over him.  When Link stood upright next to the man, he now saw that this man was taller than him, had dark hair, and was, for whatever reason, shirtless.
“Nice to meet you son.  My name is Morgan.  Charlie Morgan.  My sea name is Dark Haired Morgan or Dark Morgan.  What’s your name?”
“My name is, uh, Link sir.  I grew up on a ranch in Feather Falls my whole life, so I don’t really have much knowledge of the seas.”
“GHA HA HA HA!  So another young man comes to the great life of the sea!  Thinking of staying here forever kid?”
“Sorry, no.  And I’m not a kid anymore.  I’m married and I’m probably going to have a child waiting for me when I get back.”
“Ah, I guess that makes sense.”  Link sensed a bit of disappointment in his voice.  Morgan turned around and said, “If you ever need help understanding how this ship works, let me know alright kid?”  With that said, he immediately started doing whatever the captain told him to do.  Link looked back out at the sea, and began to wonder of what lied ahead in this adventure.

 

Demise studied the map closely.
“Have you compiled a list of all the modern alliances Elitran?”
“Yes my lord.  Here they are.”  Demise looked at all the alliances and the different countries on the map.
“So if I attack the nearby country of Unto, their alliance with Xelador would cause them to come and help, and therefore Hylia’s alliance with Malendor to commence.  Therefore causing all the other nations to begin another gigantic war to begin the end.”
“But my lord, Galor has declared national non-violence policies in these kinds of things.  What will you do then?”
“Simplicity itself.  I will take my personal army to wipe them all out.”
“I see.  And with the hordes of the dead at your side,”
“Not even the broken Guardians can keep me from destroying everything on this mortal plain.  After I’m done with that, I will fulfill the prophecy and destroy the Goddesses.”
“Very good my lord.”



© 2016 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Well alright! We're finally beginning to swing into high with this story! Please tell me what you think of each chapter please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
Added on November 21, 2013
Last Updated on February 15, 2016


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.