Chapter 19-Hidden Gate

Chapter 19-Hidden Gate

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 19 of Vector of the Heavens

"

“Master Aqua, is it really you?”
“I figured you would come along eventually. It would seem that several of the lost Guardians are making their way here to Unto.”
“What? There are more that survived the attack by Demise?!”
“Demise? Is that his name? But yes, there were more Guardians who were sent to this world losing their wings and halos in the process. I know this because I have received magic messages from those of our number who were mages. They immediately began making their way here to Unto as soon as I gave them the news.”
“What news Master Aqua? Tell me, please!”
“Um...we're still standing here.” Riku turned to the voice of Link to see everybody looking at them both with extreme confusion.
“I thought you said that Earaqus was your master Riku.” Traito mentioned.
“Oh, forgive me.” Aqua said. “My name is Aqua Vimgor. I was Riku's teacher during his time as a Guardian. We were both Guardians until the attack on the Observatory happened.”
“Whoa, wait a minute,” Morgan remarked, “Riku and this lady are Guardians?”
“Yes.” Riku and Aqua said in unison. Morgan gave them both a blank stare.
“I'll be standing over here if anybody needs me.” He said slowly walking away with a confused air about him. Thrito followed him deciding that he suddenly needed to go to the bathroom.
“Link, would you please leave me and Aqua be?” Riku asked.
“Sure, I guess so.” Link walked off to try and find anything good to eat and see how the city worked.
“So what have you found Aqua?”
“First off, before I tell you anything, who is this young man standing here?” Riku introduced Traito to Aqua and told her about the inner circle.
“Inner circle? You have some conspiracy theory going around here Riku?”
“Not so much that as it is to keep the younger ones safe from all this madness. They have seen a few things, make no mistake, but they have yet to see the horrors of war. Also, there is something amiss with the legend of Demise. Something I find very odd. But first, tell us what you have found.”





Link walked over to Thrito standing on the edge of one of the connecting bridges with a bottle of wine in his hand.
“Everything okay my friend?” Link asked putting his hand on his shoulder.
“My village, my home, my friends and elders, were all killed only a few days ago. How do you think I feel?”
“Sober enough to realize that drinking won't help your issues but rather deteriorate your body.”
“I've needed this drink for a long time. We never had any back on the ship, and I've needed something to help me cope with it the last few days. I mean, have you ever lost somebody in the blink of an eye? And never got a chance to say farewell to those you loved?” Link took his hand off Thrito's shoulder and twiddled his thumbs over the edge of the bridge.
“My great grandmother died when I was very little. She was attacked by a pack of goblins by the path near our farm. I was nearby, and saw them attacking her, and grabbed the family sword without thinking. I ran over there as fast as my legs would carry me and started slashing away at the monsters with no real sense of direction. When the dust settled and the town guards came to help, it was too late to save her. I remember crying for several days afterwards, but then my mother came to me and told me, that if she was still there in my memories, then she would be with me forever in my heart. I wrote it off as crazy nonsense at the time, but as I have grown up, I've found that it actually works. I no longer remember her beaten and cut up body, I only remember her bright and loving smile.” Thrito pondered this, looked at Link, then looked at his bottle.
“Tell me, how old are you now?”
“45 years old.”
“How young were you when you lost her?”
“About 12.”
“And you still remember her after all this time?”
“Of course I do.” Thrito took one last look at his bottle and then tossed it into the sea.
“I don't really know how to respond to something like this. I mean, it just, I don't know.” Link placed his hand back on Thrito's shoulder and just stood there while Thrito shed some tears.



“You're absolutely certain Master Aqua?”
“Absolutely. It has to be. All the symbols on this particular gate point to it. And if my theory is correct, then we need all the fallen Guardians to come here to Unto. And considering that I think that the creature you call Demise has found it, then we need to hurry and get through that gate.”
“They why haven't you done it?!” Traito spoke up.
“Unfortunately, the legends are a lot more accurate than I thought they would be. Only the chosen one can pass through the gate, and since it is probably a Guardian or someone who has been in their services, it would only make sense to call every Guardian stuck on this planet to try and gain the ultimate weapon.”
“All right.” Riku said. “Can you show us the gate then master?”
“Of course. Right this way.” Aqua took them down a flight of stairs to a bridge close to the surface of the water far below where they were a moment ago. As they started walking, they heard a bell beginning to chime back by the secret entrance.
“We need to move quickly.” Aqua said. “That's the warning bell that the tide is about to rise up for the night. We'll need to move quickly.”
“Fine by me.” Riku said. “Take us to it. Now.”





Link was still standing out on the bridge where he and Thrito were talking earlier. Thrito had gone back to the place where they were staying to turn in for the night. As he looked out over the edge, he saw some torch light down on one of the lower bridges. He noticed that it was Aqua leading Riku and Traito somewhere down into the depths of the city. Curious, he decided to follow them. He had to move quickly so that he didn't lose them, and as he reached the level where they were, he heard a bell ringing back by the secret entrance. He moved quickly to keep the three of them in his sights, but kept far enough back as to not be spotted. As they made their way through the many different bridges and passages, Link noticed that the water was starting to get higher and higher. And with it, the three up ahead were picking up their pace faster and faster. For a moment, he thought about turning back, but there seemed like there was something in his mind telling him to continue forward. For about another hundred yards, they kept moving like this until they came to a small door frame. It had several ancient carvings along the outside as far as Link could tell.



“Are you sure this is it Mistress Aqua?” Traito asked. “It's a lot smaller than the one we saw back in Gueron.”
“You saw one of the other gates during your travels?! Tell me, what did it look like?” Riku was about to speak when a wave came crashing down right next to the platform they were standing on.
“We don't have time to indulge you in our tales Master. Just tell me what you need me to do.”
“Fine. According to prophecy, you need to place your right hand in the middle of the door Riku, and if you are the chosen one, then you immediately pass through into the fabled Temple of Light.”



Link couldn't hear anything that they were saying and decided to not get closer so he could hear them. The waves were starting to get bigger and bigger and the post he was hiding behind was an excellent shield against the rising waves for the time being. He looked over at the group again, and saw Riku place his right hand on the center of the door. Nothing happened and he seemed to show signs of disappointment. The group started running back, and Link waited for them to pass him in order not to be spotted. He was about to follow them back when a giant wave hit the post and shook the support beam it was holding, causing Link to lose his balance. When he got his bearings back, he couldn't see the light from the torch that his friends were carrying. Starting to panic, he decided to get down on all fours and feel the wood planks to a point where he could climb some stairs and get to safety. But that idea was quickly tossed aside as he realized that the waters were now beginning to submerge the planks and that he was out of options. Thinking he might have to hope that the tide would rise quickly and high enough to reach safer grounds, he wished that he had been a better swimmer. Suddenly, as if from nowhere, a whisper brushed past his ear. He looked around and had a feeling it was coming from the door frame that Riku and the other two were crowding over. He walked over to it, and tripping, placed both hands on the door. Then there was a flash of light, then nothing at all.



The three of them got back to their room and sat down. Riku was extremely upset.
“Blast it! Why won't anything happen?! At this rate, Demise might as well ravage the whole world before we discover who the Selected One is!”
“Calm down Riku. We'll figure this out.” Aqua said.
“Hey, while we're on the subject, does somebody mind telling me what this special gate is supposed to be?” Traito piped up.
“Legend says that in time of dire need, that someone selected by the Goddesses will pass through the Golden Gate, and be found in the Temple of Light, the resting place for the Sky Sword. An ancient blade said to be crafted by the high god himself. Legend has it that whoever holds the sword will destroy the great evil that plagues the land and restore balance.”
“Sounds like a cheap way to gain victory, but I'll take it.”
“We'll all take it. But for tonight, we can't do anything more. Let's get some sleep and hope that more Guardians will arrive tomorrow. I will show you to your quarters.” Aqua led them up a flight of stairs to a set of bedrooms for each individual person. Thrito was already in his room, sleeping like a log. Link's designated room had it's door closed, so they assumed that he was already asleep. Riku went into his room and sat on his bed, looking out the small window that he had. He couldn't see much, but he did have one small view of the stars.
“My love, can you see me through this small crack? I wish I knew. I miss you so much. I mean, I had found happiness with you, and then you were taken from me. And when I finally got a chance to taste death and be with you at long last, it too was taken from me and I had to do odd jobs to help the world. And then, when I thought I would finally see you again, I was banished back to this accursed land. I want to die, but I can't die. Not until I fulfill my duties. I'm afraid if I run away from this, I couldn't face you in the sky. I miss you darling.” Riku then turned around in his bed and fell right asleep.



“Um...what the heck just happened.” Link was standing in a gray temple with sunlight pouring in through stain glass windows. There was a giant stone door with a rising sun carved into it. Looking around, he realized that there was no exit or entrance to this place at all. So he was basically trapped.
“Hello?! Is anybody here?”
“I'm here.” Link jumped back a few steps and found his mysterious woman standing right behind him. “
“Oh great. You again. Don't tell me, let me guess, you're going to spout a lot of random riddles to my face and then I wake up, is that right?”
“Actually, I am going to tell you everything I know and that you need to know.
“Well it is about time.”



© 2016 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Please let me know what you think with a review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on March 28, 2014
Last Updated on February 15, 2016
Tags: fantasy, adventure


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.