Scars and Stripes

Scars and Stripes

A Poem by Kayleen
"

bang.

"

Barely twenty years old
standing in the cold
waiting for the fight
waiting for that night
gonna make your papa proud
when the bombs are going down
look at all your friends running in
heads full of adrenilin
government Ritalin
Boy, you gotta win
gonna be the best
but look now
five rounds in your chest
you're dying for the cause
you're a hero now
but you forgot the fatal clause
barely twenty years old
lying in the cold
waiting for the end
with wounds that never mend

© 2014 Kayleen


Author's Note

Kayleen
if you took the time to read this please be kind enough to leave a review of your impression of the piece. thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was a very real and powerful piece that moved me well more than some of my most favorite pieces of poetry have. It concise, the message was clear and the story was told through your depth of thought and expression. I'm normally extremely constructive in my reviews, but this was beyond anything I have read on here and I have nothing more to say other than VERY well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It is enjoyable. You're good at rhyming. It gives off a lot of images.

Posted 10 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The harsh realities of war are often delt to the young men who fight and die horrible deaths. So many have died and it seems so needless, but such is the horror of human kind. I like the way you repeated the beginning at the end only with a different outcome. Good poem K.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Your poem tells a sad and true story. I have lost many good friends and I hope they fought and died for a reason. Your story is honest and direct. It is sad we live in a world. Where young people learn death and violence before love and kindness. A outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

stark and in your face write. I like the way you told it like it is. no frills just full on and straight to the point.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A dark and interesting poem. You use powerful and song-like wording. I think you could improve the impact of the poem if you structured it into stanzas. Other than that you wrote some thought provoking lines.

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow this one had a very powerful emotion within it i really enjoyed this one, great work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Brutal awesome write. I could even see some truth twisted in this.
A very well written write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is an awesome honest write....

Peace
Robin

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Build from dirt and ol school Agnostic Front grit. The nature of the writing is clearly ol school hardcore circa 1986. Vibrates like some Cro Mags and kicks balls like Warzone.

Hooked

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
A
So sad but you tell the story well. Very good writing and great poem! :)

Posted 14 Years Ago



3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1144 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 22, 2009
Last Updated on July 9, 2014
Tags: war, soldiers

Author

Kayleen
Kayleen

Anaheim, CA



About
Kayleen. 22. California. I Like Old School Punk Rock, Electro nonsense, and Katy Perry. The Mighty f*****g Boosh. Everything else amazing overseas we dont have here. I make movies, bad decisions.. more..

Writing
Not Capable Not Capable

A Poem by Kayleen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Shattered Echoes Shattered Echoes

A Poem by OT


Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by OT





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5