April 11, 1912 (Part 2)

April 11, 1912 (Part 2)

A Chapter by A.E. Reed
"

The story of a little 8 year old girl aboard the RMS Titanic.

"

To say Marilyn was bored would be an understatement. She was sitting at a table in the first class restaurant across from her mother and Mr. Montgomery who were just a little to close for friends. It confused Marilyn because she never saw her mother sitting that close to her father but she let it go. The room was packed with people at tables with perfectly straight backs and handling their utensils as if they were prized possessions. Waiters dashed around taking orders and passing out drinks and plates with food piled high.

“Marilyn,” her mother said, shaking Marilyn out of her thoughts, “Mr. Montgomery asked you a question,” her mother continued after she had her daughters attention and Marilyn blushed beet red.

“How old are you, Marilyn,” he asked in a deep voice. Mr. Montgomery had black hair cut very short and tan skin.

“8,” she said proudly, “and in September I’ll be 9!” she exclaimed, bouncing in her seat.

Mr. Montgomery chuckled and turned back to Victoria, “So, Victoria,” he said and Marilyn couldn’t help but tune him out.

When there was a pause in the conversation between the two Marilyn broke in, “Mommy? Can I go exploring now?” she asked. Her mother nodded curtly and Marilyn bounded away from them.

“Where should I go first?” she asked herself as she walked through the large wooden doors that led out into a hallway. Following the hallway she came to a stop by two staircases; one to her left and another to her right. The staircases were a dark chocolate brown color and a red velvet rug covered it all the way down. Crème wallpaper decorated the walls and upon closer inspection Marilyn noticed little flowers etched into the paper.

Going down the staircase to her left she walked into a long hallway. Next to her doors went all the way to the end. Each with a number, in gold, perched close to the top. She followed the doors down to the very end. The last door had no number on it this time and an immense amount of curiosity filled Marilyn. In a fluid motion she pushed open the door and walked out. As soon as she did a pungent sent met her nose.

The ocean, she thought and she crouched, like a spy, by the door. As far as she could see there were 3 people on the deck. A woman who looked to be in her late 20’s with a tight fitting ivory dress, her hair piled atop her head. Arm linked through hers, was a man with blonde hair cut very short, walking stiffly in a tuxedo. The final person was resting against the railing on the very edge of the deck, staring into the ocean. As far as Marilyn could tell, he had a tattered gray shirt and baggy pants. Marilyn tilted her head as a memory came back to her.

Marilyn and her mother walked the streets of Paris, France. All around them people filtered in and out of shops, traveling the sea of people up and down the street. Marilyn wasn’t sure what her mother needed but she was glad she wasn’t left with the maid again. Miriam was no fun at all.

Victoria pointed to a little boy being pushed out of a shop, the owner smacking the boy on the back of the head, “You see that little boy?” she asked.  The little boy, about 6, had pants one to many sizes bigger than it should be and a shirt with holes through it. He ran barefoot, feet smacking the pavement as he tried to get away from the shop owner.

“Yes…”

“Never interact with rats like him. They do not deserve the riches you and I have. They are nothing more than filth contaminating the streets and this planet,” her mother said, frowning.

Marilyn stopped staring at the man and turned back around to the door she had just come through. She didn’t feel like exploring anymore.



© 2011 A.E. Reed


Author's Note

A.E. Reed
Oh boy! This was even harder to write. I want to say I totally disagree with Victoria but I can't have her being nice. Some characters need to be horrible! Also, did anyone catch what I was dropping with the Victoria and Mr. Montgomery? No? Meh, to bad. XD

-A.E. Reed XD

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a good chapter. I feel bad that Marilyn's mother is having an affair with Mr. Montgomery. That is not cool and Marilyn had to witness that. And how rude her mother was to the young poor boy. I bet Marilyn felt bad about what her mother said. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 31, 2011
Last Updated on October 5, 2011


Author

A.E. Reed
A.E. Reed

FL



About
So, I won't go crazy with this because I know most people won't read it unless they're your stalker or something. I'm pretty much just a typical girl. I like to have fun and hang out with my friends (.. more..

Writing