Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Aianarie (INACTIVE)

Chapter Seven

 

 

 

 

Risten had decided not to tell Derek about the nightmare; after all, it was just another bad dream.  What difference did this one really make from the others?  Well, a big difference, actually, but it would do neither of them any good for her to tell.  So she didn’t, and she swallowed its awful bitterness as she had done with every nightmare before it. 

 

They had finally emerged from the forest.  The end of Mira Pass was underneath their feet.  Risten shielded her eyes from the unceasingly bright sunshine.  When she could finally see, she was frozen on the spot.

 

A vast, lush field with tall grass and various flowers scattered about lay before her, stretching for miles until it reached Ancantha’s forests again.  Risten ran ahead to the edge of the hill and looked out into the broad grassland.  In the distance, she could see the grand city, with its shimmering brilliance and a huge castle with many towers.  Its cerulean banners flew poetically in the breeze.  Dark mountains surrounded by fog loomed behind the castle.  To east of the castle was an enormous tree, even bigger than the castle; it was certainly the biggest tree Risten had ever seen.  Its curved trunk caused the billowing bunches of leaves to cast a peaceful shade over part of Epsilia.  She could see the ripple of every branch as the wind rustled them.

 

                “It’s so beautiful…”  said Risten breathlessly, as Derek came up behind her.  He grinned and kissed her cheekbone, with his hands on her hips.  “I always dreamed of places like this when I was little…when I used to believe in fairy tales…”

 

                “Used to?”  said Derek curiously, standing beside her and looking at her from the corner of his eye.  Risten snorted.

 

                “I feel like a kid again.”  she said excitedly.  Derek laughed aloud.

 

                “You’re talking like a grandmother.”  he said, pulling the strap of his bag up his shoulder.  Risten turned towards him and smiled oddly.  Unexpectedly, she poked Derek’s chest where his skin peeked out of his unbuttoned collar.

 

                “Ow…”  he said, rubbing the little red dot that her nail left on him.  “What was that for?”

 

                “Bet you can’t catch me.”  Risten said, in a quiet, silly voice.  Derek looked clueless.

 

                What?”

 

                “You’re IT, you moron!”  she laughed, and then started down the hill.  Derek dropped his bag and bolted after her, nearly stumbling through the tall grass.

 

                Risten felt free.  Like she was flying, without a care in the world.  What was a silly nightmare to this?  Her mind was empty, her heart light and beating eagerly.  She kicked off her heavy boots and socks and ran as fast as she could; her long, thick braid was tossing back and forth.  The wind lashed at her face, her arms, and her legs, and filled her with a lively sense of exhilaration that she had never felt before in her life.  She looked back at Derek.  His hair and shirt flapped back and forth.  He looked just as cheerful.  Risten knew he felt the same way she did. 

 

Not watching where she was going, Risten tripped over an out-of-place rock and tumbled to the ground.

 

“Risten!”  cried Derek, his panting getting louder as he approached.  He found her lying on a bed of grass and wildflowers, eyes closed and out of breath.

 

                Derek knelt over her so her legs were between his.  “Risten, are you okay?”  he whispered.  “Risten?”  His voice seemed almost worried now.  She laughed and without opening her eyes, reached her arms up to him, and pulled him down on top of her.  She slipped her hands under his shirt.  He sighed with relief and neither of them said a word as they caught their breath.

 

                The lightheadedness hadn’t gone away.  All Risten could perceive was the feel of Derek’s skin under her fingers.  He rested his head on her shoulder, and pressed his lips to her neck.  Risten opened her eyes and saw the blue sky above them, with puffy white clouds, and songbirds flying by, all framed  by the green tips of the tall grass that seemed to envelop her and Derek in a little nest of nature.  Her bare feet rubbed against his, and his jeans entwined with hers.  His body felt cool and calm.  Risten fingered his spine and shoulder blades and finally, his scar.  She had never touched it before.  It felt warmer than the rest of his body; rough and jagged, branching out to the back of his shoulders and neck.

 

                “Does it hurt?”  she whispered.  Derek breathed deeply into her neck.  “When I touch it?”

 

                “No, not really.  But it tickles a little.”  he said, his voice uneven.  Risten giggled; a sound that didn’t suit her.  She felt completely love-drunk.

 

                Oh…so you’re ticklish, huh?”  she drawled, dragging her middle finger in the curve of his back.  Derek sprang up and backed away from her.

 

                “Risten…Risten, don’t even think about it.”  he said breathlessly.  He looked so surprised and scared that Risten burst out laughing.  Derek sighed and crossed his arms, waiting, as her laughs filled the air and floated along the breeze.

 

                “Oh, my, goodness…”  she panted after a few minutes, wiping tears off her cheeks.  Derek rolled his eyes.

 

                “Finished?”  he said, flatly.

 

                “I think so.”  Risten laughed once more and stood up.  “We should go now.  Before I go crazy.”

 

                “Before?  Did you mean after?”  said Derek, smirking.  Risten swatted his butt.

 

                “Shut up, Derek.  Now go back and get our things, like a good boy.”

 

                “Yes ma’am.”  he said, with a careless salute.  “A kiss first?”

                Risten smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck.  For a moment she just stared into his eyes, that electric blue that nearly blinded her.  And he looked back.  His feathery hair tickled her elbows.

 

                Oh, Derek…I’m so glad I found you…

 

                No.  You’re glad that I found you.  He grinned, and Risten kissed him deeply.  She felt his chest tighten against her breasts, his fingers embracing her lower back.  Another breeze blew past, and Derek hooked his thumbs under the waistband of her jeans, brushing her hipbones, pulling her closer to him.

 

                Their lips parted, and they both gasped for breath.

 

                I could never get bored of that.  Ever.  said Risten, burying her nose in his hair.

 

                Neither could I.  I love you.  Then he escaped from her embrace, smirking and walking backwards.  I’ll go get our stuff.

 

                And he walked away.  Risten already missed him.

 

~*~

 

They made camp that night under a large willow tree, some five miles from Epsilia.  Their little escapade earlier had left them tired and ready for a good night’s sleep before arriving at the city the following day.  Derek had caught a few rainbow trout from the river for their dinner, and had Risten cooked them with her flames.  He was even able to season them with herbs he had found.  Risten thought it was the best fish she had ever tasted.  After they ate Derek went off with a casual “I’ll be right back” and returned with an armful of shiny green and yellow fruit.  Risten shot him a curious look as he took a huge bite of one of the fruits.

 

                “It’s just a striped apple.”  he said after he swallowed.

 

                “What’s that?”

 

                Derek narrowed his eyes and pretended to think.  “It’s an apple.  With stripes.  He laughed then, Risten scowling at him half-jokingly.

 

                “Here, catch.”  Derek said, throwing one before she looked ready.  She caught it single-handedly.  “Wow, nice.”

 

                Risten smirked.  “Thanks.”  She bit it, it was sweet like a Golden Delicious but tart like a Granny Smith, and the skin was crisp but not chewy.  Derek lay beside her, with one hand behind his head, propping himself up slightly while he finished his apple.

 

                He started laughing again.  “See what happens when people don’t think about what they say before they say it?”

 

                “Oh, hush.  I’m still new here.  How the heck was I supposed to know what exactly it was?  The agape story was news to me.”  said Risten, snatching the fruit from his hand and biting it.  Derek shrugged and grabbed another one from his pile.

 

                “But seriously, my love, what did you think it was?  A spotted banana?”  he laughed so hard that he nearly choked.  Risten threw her apple and yanked the front of Derek’s shirt.

 

                “You are such an idiot!”  she cried, laughing, as she and Derek wrestled around in the grass.  They remained like that for a while, until Risten pinned him face-down with his arm twisted behind his back.

 

                “Okay, okay!  Rose, you win…”  he gasped, with a laugh.  She swallowed and got off of him, looking smug.  Derek turned over and took a deep breath.  Both he and Risten were sweaty and panting.  He glanced sideways at her.  His eyes were wet and amused.  He looked as if he wanted to say something, some sort of complement, maybe, but he couldn’t seem to find the words.

 

~*~

 

They cleaned up in a nearby river, which also bared the name Mira, and returned to their peaceful little spot under the willow to relax.  It was nearing midnight now, but neither of them could sleep.

 

                “Risten...”  said Derek, barely audibly.  He was lying on the grass with both his hands clasped behind his head and one leg lazily crossed over the other.  He was staring at the star-lit sky, and the willow’s tears that were drifting in the crisp night air.

 

                “Hmm?”  she said, turning her head.  She was sitting near him, against the trunk of the tree, picking the petals off of a long-stemmed daisy.

 

                “That nightmare you had last night…”  His voice was solemn.

 

                Risten frowned as all the nightmares she ever had concerning her and Derek piled up in a jumble of images within the confines of her mind.  She gaped at him.  “How…did you know?”

 

                “I could see it in your eyes, when I first saw you this morning.  Don’t you think I can tell?”  said Derek.  Risten lowered her gaze.

 

                “Yeah…what about it?”  she said, quietly.

 

                “You don’t have to tell me about it.  I just want to know if there was anybody else in the dream besides you and me.”

 

                Risten considered this silently.  “No, I don’t think so…”

 

                “Hmm.  Strange…”  he said.  Risten didn’t bother to inquire further, and returned to plucking the daisy’s white petals.

 

                A long silence passed.  An owl hooted from somewhere above them.

                “This place reminds me of when we first kissed…remember, Risten?”  said Derek out of nowhere, with a mesmerized sigh.  A peace came over Risten’s heart at the change of subject.

 

                Yeah.  Of course she remembered their first kiss.  It had happened only a little over a week ago, but the memory felt so far away now.  She felt as if she had known Derek for years.  Spiri said that she felt that way when she met Aaron.

 

                But what did this field have to do with that?

 

                “Why?”  she said.  Derek caught her distant, misunderstanding expression.

 

                “We were sitting against a willow tree, remember?”  he said.  Risten racked her memory for a moment.

 

                “Oh, right!  Yeah, I remember.”  she said.

 

                “Willow trees are beautiful, aren’t they?”

 

                “Yup, they sure are.”  said Risten.  But she wasn’t looking up at the tree.  She was looking down at Derek.  He glanced at her and rolled his eyes with a stifled laugh.

 

                “You silly girl.  Lie beside me, and let’s watch the stars together.  The sky’s clear tonight.”

Risten obeyed, and right as she laid down, her head on his shoulder, she saw a star shoot across the sky.  She looked up at Derek to see if he had seen it.  He had already fallen asleep.  She shook her head and lay back down. 

 

                Then she began to remember other things besides their first kiss.  She remembered Derek’s reaction to her seeing his scar; she remembered what he had told her about Brennan; she remembered his comment:  No, Risten, I won’t let anybody hurt you…not even me.”  She had completely forgotten about all the stuff that was left unsaid.  She heard Derek sigh in his sleep, and his arm came around her, pulling her close, as if being in his arms kept her safe.

 

                He was a mystery.  A beautiful, beautiful mystery.

 

~*~

 

“Aidan, will you slow down a bit?  I mean, seriously!”  an unusually low and thick girl’s voice rang out from the outskirts of Rellasmïr.  Oh!”  she grimaced as she pulled her foot out of a mud puddle.  Her sneaker was drenched. “Great!  Just great.  AIDAN!”

 

                “Shush!  What is your problem?”  said Aidan derisively, pushing his thick-rimmed glasses up his nose.  “You want a pack of wolves to attack us, Kaela?”

 

                “No.”  she said, annoyed.

 

                “Then hush.  he remained glaring at her a moment, until he turned and walked ahead.  The girl muttered something inaudible under her breath.  They emerged from the White Forest into the field; the sky was clear and speckled with stars.

                “What are we doing, anyway?  Wandering around aimlessly in a moonless night.  Real smart.  Kaela remarked, glad that they were walking on grass instead of the treacherous forest floor.  Aidan didn’t answer.  “Don’t tell me.  Brennan’s sent you on another one of his top secret missions.”  Again, he didn’t answer.  Kaela glowered at his back.  “Why do you work for him, anyway?”

 

                “Because my brother does.”  said Aidan quickly, apparently looking around for something.

 

                “And you have to do everything your brother does?  Aidan, did it ever occur to you that you’re sixteen years old?  I think you can start making decisions for yourself.”

 

                Aidan suddenly turned on her, looking uncharacteristically angry.  Don’t lecture me, Kaela.  Yeah, I can do what I want.  But...”  He sighed deeply and frowned, at a loss for words.

 

                “Wait, what?  Aidan, tell me what’s going on right now, or I’m gonna turn around and go back home.  In fact, I’ll stand right here until you talk.”  She crossed her arms and pursed her lips stubbornly.  Aidan stared at her a moment, then sighed again.

 

                “Lady Clemenstra says that she’ll restore Arias’ memory, if I do her bidding.”  he said simply.

“Oh, so don’t work for Brennan…you work for his mother!”  She looked disgusted as she spoke,  “Aidan, she can’t be trusted.  I’ve heard all sorts of bad stories about her.  Bad stories.  She killed her husband.  She-“

 

                “Kaela, Arias is Brennan’s most devoted follower.  Perhaps his only devoted follower.  I’m sure my lady will hold to her word.”

 

                “What the hell makes you think that woman will do you a favor in return for some small service?  Aidan, she’s a witch!

 

                “I have to try.”  he said, lowering his eyes.  “Arias…he doesn’t remember anything about him and I when we were children.  He doesn’t remember how he saved you and decided that you could stay with us.  He doesn’t remember…”  He paused and swallowed hard.  “Marayna…”

 

                “Who’s Marayna?”  asked Kaela, uncrossing her arms.

 

                “She was Arias’ girlfriend.  They fell apart, somehow.  Things didn’t get any better after Arias lost his memory.  But Marayna still loved him.  He didn’t even know who she was, and nothing could make him remember.  Marayna died a few years ago from a sword wound.  I was with her.  I promised her that I would do what I could…to make sure that Arias knew that she still loved him.  I promised her, Kaela.  It was a death wish.  I can’t break that promise.”  He took off his glasses and stuck them in his shirt pocket.

 

                “So you’ll help me?  Please?”  he said.  His violet eyes twinkled from the light of their lantern.

Kaela swallowed and breathed in through her nose.  “Oh, fine.  But tell me what were supposed to be doing!”

 

                Aidan looked hesitant.  “We have to find out what Derek is up to.”

 

                Derek?  What does Clemenstra want with him?”

                “Oh, that’s right…you don’t know what happened between them…”  He paused again, looking thoughtful.  “A while back, Derek seriously wounded Brennan.  Brennan still has a really bad scar from the fight.  I think Derek has a bad scar too. For a while now, Clemenstra has been too weak from her own battle that took place around the same time.  So she wants me to see what Derek is…doing.  She seemed very suspective of him.  And she’s too worried to send her little boy to check it out.  Feh.” He tossed his head indignantly.  “Believe me; I don’t want to do anything for her either…”

 

                “Wow.  What were they fighting about?  Brennan and Derek, I mean?”

 

                “I’m not really sure.”  said Aidan, looking up at the stars.  His wispy, navy-black hair rustled in the wind.  He turned back to Kaela and leaned forward.  Kaela thought that he might kiss her, but his lips went to her ear instead.

 

                “Let’s go.  he whispered, with a brief shudder, “To be honest, I don’t really want to know what they were fighting about.

               



© 2011 Aianarie (INACTIVE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

AGAIN I LOVED IT, ESPECIALLY THE FIRST PART WERE THEY WERE RUNNING THROUGH THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 24, 2011
Last Updated on November 24, 2011


Author

Aianarie (INACTIVE)
Aianarie (INACTIVE)

Eugene, OR



About
**IMPORTANT: This account is inactive. To keep up with me, A.M. Wied, follow me at the Facebook link below! Thank you for your support!** Hello~! My name is Ashley and I am a great many things, .. more..

Writing