Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

A Chapter by Aianarie (INACTIVE)

Chapter Nine

 

 

 

                What do you mean you’re not coming?”  said Risten, with her hands on her hips.  Derek shook his head.

 

                “I’m not feeling well.  I have to get out of the city for a bit.  But I’ll be back later tonight�"“

 

                “You want me to go to the castle all alone?  What if they don’t believe me?”

 

                “I’d go with you, Risten, but I’m afraid I have other plans.  Important…”  said Halie, with her arms still crossed.  Her eyes refused to meet Risten’s gaze.

 

                Risten looked down at her boots.  She suddenly felt abandoned.  Derek came over to her and held her hands in his.

 

                “I’ll see you later.” Love you.  Said Derek, and he stole a soft kiss from her lips.  Risten took a breath and kissed him back.

 

                I love you too.  She answered, not looking at him.  Derek put his finger under her chin and stared at her with the saddest expression she had ever seen.  Derek…what’s wrong?

 

                He hesitated.  Risten…I love you so much… Risten thought that she might cry.  He hadn’t answered her question.  Derek wiped his eyes and backed away from her.  And without another word, he headed down the road, leaving Risten and Halie looking on as he disappeared behind a building.

 

~*~

 

“Well,”  said Aidan, leaning against a post in the corner of an Epsilian alley.  Kaela stood near him, with a lollipop dangling from her mouth.  “Those guys fail.  Epically.”  He pointed at the corpses of the two demon-humans.  Kaela pulled the pop from her mouth.

 

                “Feh.  What did Clemenstra think those things could accomplish?  What a joke.”  said Kaela sternly, then her expression changed from scorn to sadness.  “Those poor people…being used like this…”  she said, poking the hand of one of them with the toe of her sneaker.  “Someone’s gonna stop her one of these days.  I hope she realizes that.”

 

                “That’s just it.”  said Aidan in a bored voice, “She never realizes anything.”

 

                “So, now what do we do?”

 

                “I don’t know.  I haven’t the slightest idea where Derek is going, but it looks like Risten is going to the castle.”

 

                Kaela pursed her lips.  “Do you think she’s found out?  That Sebastian is her brother?”

 

                “Probably.  I can’t imagine why else she’d be going there.”

 

                “Maybe we should just go eat somewhere.  I’m starving.”  said Kaela, tossing her lollipop stick into a nearby trashcan with perfect aim. “Yesss.”

 

                To her surprise, Aidan nodded.  “Sure.”

 

~*~

 

The sound of footsteps clacking against stone steps was heard, until they stopped momentarily.  The loud creak of an old wooden door opening echoed through the halls.  Brennan stepped into the room.  His mother’s white shoulders and flowing sloe-black hair was discernable through the darkness of the underground room.

 

                “Mother, the experiments failed.”  came his low voice, as he shut the door.

 

                “Don’t you think I’m aware of this?”  hissed Clemenstra, with her upturned nose in the air.  “I stopped sensing their presence an hour ago�"damned things!”  She struck her fist against the table of her Gothic-style vanity.

 

                “You created them.”  said Brennan indifferently, examining his perfect fingernails.

 

                Clemenstra turned on him.  Her lips and eyelids had gone deep purple for the day, which clashed violently with her crimson eyes.  “Yes, I did.  And I will get them to the point where they will be of more use to me.  For now, I’ll need something else.  Hmm.  Perhaps it is time to call the demons…”

 

                “No.”  said Brennan.

 

                Clemenstra raised an eyebrow.

 

                “You haven’t recuperated enough.  Remember what happened last time you tried to necromance?  If I hadn’t been there�"“

 

                “I made a frivolous mistake.  That won’t happen again.”  said the witch, staring at her bracelets.

Brennan sighed angrily and leaned against the door.  “Mother, why don’t you just send me to kill Derek?  Wouldn’t that be easier than all this?  He pulled aside a curtain, which revealed a hidden room in the dungeon.  Unconscious, half-dead humans were chained to beds of stone.  Strange books, medical devices, and other obscure objects were scattered everywhere.  He expected his mother to laugh, but she looked quite angry.

 

                “Absolutely not.  Have you forgotten what Derek almost did to you?  You’re not strong enough to fight him.”  she said.

 

                Something snapped in Brennan’s red eyes.  He gaped at her.  “Not strong enough?!  Is that what you think?  You horrid witch, I can take care of myself, thank you very much.  I don’t need you protecting me!”

 

                Clemenstra stood, glaring at him with immense anger.  “Oh really?  If that’s the case, how come you lost to him?  How come you ran away?  You’re nothing but a coward.  And I tell you, you shall not fight Derek.  I will take care of him.  Don’t worry about it, my son.”

 

                He snorted.  “Oh?  And you think you can tell me what do?  I don’t think so.  I could go right now if I wanted to.  And what about you, huh?  Even if you were to take care of Derek, you wouldn’t do it yourself!  You’d just send out one of your pathetic experiments!  You’re the coward!”  Clemenstra huffed and was about to spew out retorts, but Brennan continued.  “I’m not a child!  I can take care of myself!”  He swung open the door and left, slamming it behind him before she could say another word.

 

~*~

 

Risten had finally made it into the castle.   Well, she had gotten through the front gate, anyway.  She progressed slowly over the long stone walkway leading to the castle’s enormous front door, soaking in the expansiveness of the castle the beauty of this grand city.  She glanced to her left, and saw that huge tree she had noticed from the field.  It was truly a beautiful tree.

 

                She hadn’t been looking where she was walking.  Risten walked right into another person, who gasped with surprise.  She immediately turned her head forward.

 

                “Excuse me, I’m so sorry.”  said Risten.  The girl she had rammed into was tall, two or so inches more than Risten, with long limbs and graceful hands.  Layers of golden brown hair poured from her head, on top of which rested a silvery tiara adorned with pearls, from which hung a teardrop-shaped sapphire against her forehead.  She was wearing a simple white gown; snug sleeves, wide neck, streamlined skirt, dusted with silver and pearls.  She had peachy skin, and her grey eyes shined with youthful innocence and curiosity.  Despite her calm elegance, she looked very young, fifteen at the most.  Risten glanced, almost involuntarily, at the gold band that encircled the girl’s left ring finger. 

Wow.  People sure get married young in Ancantha.

 

                “It is no problem.”  The girl said, in a voice that sounded as if she had a cold.  However, she looked quite healthy.  “Can I help you with something?”

 

                Risten perked up.  “Yes, actually.  My name is Risten, I am the new Otherkind.  I’ve come from Kellereth to visit the castle.  I know this sounds strange, but�"“

 

                “Wait,”  the girl said suddenly, narrowing her eyes on Risten.  “Forgive me for interrupting, but you…”  She appeared lost in thought.

 

                “Remind me of someone.”  finished Risten.  She raised her chin, to heighten her features.  The dark eyes, the tanned skin, the dignified nose, the perfect jaw line, the high cheekbones.  The girl’s eyes widened.

 

                “How strange!  You look like my fiancé…”  she said, her thin lips curling into a curious smile.  Risten’s heart leaped into her throat.  This girl…was Sebastian’s fiancée?  …Wait, Sebastian has a fiancée?

 

                “You’re betrothed to Prince Sebastian?”  Risten hadn’t wanted to say that, but it sort of slipped out.  The girl laughed briefly.

 

                “Yes, I am the future queen of Ancantha.”  she said.  There was no pride in her voice, but modesty.  “My name is Felicity.  And you...”

 

 

                “I’m Sebastian’s twin sister.  Or at least, I think I am.”  said Risten.  Felicity misunderstood.  “You see, I had a dream concerning the prince, and then I had someone I didn’t even know come out and tell me that Sebastian was my brother.  Crazy, huh?”

 

                “That is strange…”  She lowered her eyes and sighed.  “I’m sure you’d like to see him, but I’m afraid our prince is very ill at the moment.  I don’t know if his subjects will let you get in.  They hardly ever let me see him…”

 

                “That’s just wrong…”  said Risten, thinking of Derek.  “You should be with him right now…”

 

                “That’s what I said.  But alas…”  She turned and glanced up at the castle behind them.  Risten could see her profile; long golden lashes, high nose, perfectly pointed chin.  She looked very worried.  Risten frowned at the back of her head.

 

                “Come on, let’s go.  We’ll get in somehow.”  She took Felicity’s hand and they headed for the castle door.

 

~*~

 

Risten and Felicity entered the castle, and Risten had the embarrassment of trying to explain to a narrow-faced official that she was the prince’s twin sister.  The young future queen helped, convincing the official to see the similarities in appearance of Risten compared to Sebastian.  To their surprise, the official didn’t think they were crazy at all.  He smiled, and said that a simple blood test would confirm all.

 

                It came out positive.  Risten was Sebastian’s twin sister.  The official, whose name was Jasper, was delighted.  He offered Risten a high position in the court and the very best amenities in the castle, which of course, she accepted.  She was part of the Royal Family, after all.  He even offered her himself as a personal assistant.  But when it came to her and Felicity paying a visit to Sebastian, Jasper became sober.

 

                “My sincerest of apologies, my ladies, but the prince is very ill.  Only doctors are allowed in his room right now.  I’m very sorry.”  he said, absentmindedly fingering the feather that poked out of his plump hat.  The three had met in the central room of the castle, the Throne Room.  Two curving staircases surrounded either side of the room, with doors and halls leading to other areas of the castle on the lower level.  On the upper level, pillars went up to the elaborately carved ceiling.  There were many more doors and halls up there too.

 

                Risten frowned.  “I don’t understand.  What bothers me most isn’t that you won’t let me, his sister whom he’s never met; see him in what could be his final hours.”  her voice was incredibly steadfast.  “It’s that you won’t let Lady Felicity in, who is to be his wife, unless, heaven forbid, these are his final hours.”  Felicity looked at Jasper imploringly.

 

                He sighed and pushed his spectacles up his nose.  “Please, girls, don’t use those sad faces.  I’m afraid I can’t grant you that permission.  I’m only third in command to the prince.”

 

                “Well, who is second in command?”  snapped Risten, losing patience.  Her voice echoed in the large room.  Jasper hesitated.  “Well?  If you are attempting to discourage me, you are failing, as you shall fail eternally until I see my brother.”  She glanced at Felicity briefly, who looked fascinated.  It was quite clear that she found Risten’s poise admirable.

 

                “His name is Basque.  I must add that he not exactly the most cheerful man; he doesn’t like to be bothered.”  said Jasper quietly.  Risten saw a drop of sweat roll down his forehead.

 

                “Now you listen here,”  said Risten, jabbing her finger into his breastbone, not caring that he was a castle official.  “You are going to go talk to this Basque, even if it is a bother, and present him my request.  If he refuses, tell him that I will kill him.”  For a split second, flames traveled up her arms and legs.  Felicity’s eyes widened.

 

                “Wait, Risten, you don’t know Basque…”  she said, looking slightly alarmed.  Jasper took a step back and threw his arms in the air.

 

                “My dear girl!  I can’t tell him that!”  he cried.  He grabbed a handkerchief from his jacket pocket and wiped his brow.

 

                “And why not?”  continued Risten, crossing her arms.  “Anybody who has the nerve to resist such a request is clearly a villain.  Where there is no justice, there is crime.”  Both Jasper and Felicity just stared at her, then at each other.

 

                “Come on, please.  said Risten.  “Sebastian could be dying.  I need to see him.”  Her sadness, her desire, her courage burned in the depths of her brown eyes.  But she refused to cry right now.  She had done too much of that already.

 

                Jasper bit his lip.  “I will present your request, my lady.  But, I can’t threaten him…”

 

                “The threat isn’t from you.  It’s from me.  If Basque has a problem with it, he’ll take it up with me.

 

                “Very well.”  said Jasper, completely disoriented.  He turned and disappeared down one of the western halls.

 

~*~

 

So they waited for him to return.  Risten was standing, pacing back and forth with her arms still crossed.  Her heart beat fast within her.  She had to see him, before it was too late.  At that, she couldn’t stop the few tears that escaped her eyes.

 

                The prince had died in the dream.  Just like Derek.  Just like Risten.  The dream was right that Sebastian was poisoned and fell very ill.  What were the chances that it wasn’t right about his death as well?  Risten swallowed hard, and wiped her eyes.  If Sebastian died, what of her other nightmares?

 

                Felicity was sitting, on what looked like to be part sofa and part bench, like a Roman couch.  She was watching Risten carefully, with an anxious expression.

 

                “Risten…is there something you know that I don’t?”  she said, very quietly, with her hands folded on her lap.  She almost sounded like she was accusing her.

 

                “Maybe.  I don’t know.  My life has been very complicated since I came here.”  said Risten plainly.  Felicity caught the solemnity of her face, and was silent once more. 

 

                Jasper reappeared from the hall, looking flustered.  “My lady, I-“  Suddenly, another man rushed into the room.  He was very tall and muscled, despite being at least sixty years of age.  His stringy blond-gray hair looked plastered unto his head, and his flowing red and white garments trailed behind him as he strode towards Risten.  He had big feet and big hands which were clenched into fists.  He didn’t look very pleasant.  Risten was surprised that he didn’t have a scar anywhere on his face.

 

                Basque.  She thought, undaunted.  Yes, the name suits him.

 

                “Are you Lady Risten?”  said Basque, in a low, gruff voice that was muffled my his tacky looking moustache.  He had a wide forehead, a hooked nose, and beady, deep-set eyes.  Risten couldn’t even tell what color they were.  He cleared his throat, obviously expecting an automatic response.

 

                “Yes, I am.”  she said, raising her chin assertively.

 

                “With all due respect, my lady, it isn’t a good idea to threaten the prince’s second-in-command.”  Risten could tell that he was straining to be calm and polite.  She saw a pair of veins bulging at his temples.

 

                “And how a grumpy old man like you got to be Sebastian’s second in command, I’ll never know.”  she said.  “Look, I’m in no mood for this.”

 

                Basque looked stunned.  “You don’t know who you’re dealing with here, miss.  You should try to get on someone’s good side when you want something.”

 

                Risten snorted.  “Whether I’m on your good side or not, I shall see my brother.”

 

                “Oh?  This isn’t about you, missy, this is about the Prince.  He won’t have any visitors right now.  You hear me?”

 

                “I hear you, but can you hear me?  Check your hearing aid, geezer.”  That sort of slipped out; Risten hadn’t meant to go that far, but she continued, undaunted.  “I said that I shall see my brother.  And so�"“  She heard Jasper suck in breath behind her.  Felicity was a statue, still seated.

 

                “My dearest lady,”  continued Basque, “If you keep this up, I may have to show you out of the castle for today, until you change your mind.”

 

                Risten stamped her foot.  “How dare you.  Have you the nerve to kick me out of the castle?  You shouldn’t even be speaking to me in this manner!  Think about this a moment, old man; I am Prince Sebastian’s twin sister.  And Felicity, his fiancée!  Isn’t that enough for you?  Are you that dense?”

 

                A deafening moment of silence passed.  Then Basque laughed; a full, hearty laugh that reverberated in his broad chest and throughout the throne room.  Jasper’s jaw dropped, apparently Basque didn’t laugh very often.  Felicity looked speechless, but smiled.

 

                “What a girl!”  cried Basque.  He wiped his eyes and gave Risten a pat on the side of her shoulder, none too gently.  “I like you, Lady Risten.  No one has ever been able to stand up to me like that.  Well, except our brave young prince.”

 

                “Well I’m glad you like me.”  said Risten sarcastically, “But what about my request?”

 

                Basque instantly sobered.  He thought for a moment.  “I’ll tell you what; I shall speak with the doctor and see what she thinks.”  and he and all of his bulk exited the room, down the eastern hall.

 

                “Well.”  said Jasper, letting go of a breath that he had held far too long.  The color returned to his face.  “Maybe you should be third in command, instead of me.”  He chuckled.

 

                Felicity rose and embraced Risten warmly with a sigh of relief.  “Bless you and your courage, Risten.”  Tears poured down her cheeks.  “And rejoice!  We shall see Sebastian anon.”

 

~*~

 

He had left the city, feeling overwhelmed with it all.  The clear air of the twilight helped calm him, but the throbbing pain behind his shoulders continued.  The pain was getting worse.  He didn’t know how much longer he would be able to handle it.

 

                He bathed in the waters of Mira River.  Refreshed, he decided to return to Epsilia.  He wondered if Risten had succeeded entrance to the castle, or if she had been thrown into prison for insanity.  He shuddered at that, but how was he to know?  Anything was possible in this changing world.  He was about to pass under the arch that lead to the town, when he sensed it.  Danger, lurking around in the light of the full moon as it does so often. 

 

                Derek glanced around, stealthily, behind every tower that bulged from the city wall.  Nothing.  Confused, he shook his shook his head and headed for the archway once more. 

 

                A hand clasped around his mouth, and the tip of a blade poked the curve of his lower back.  He didn’t even flinch.

 

                “Gotcha.  We’ll see what my mother thinks of me now.”  said a cold voice in his ear.  He drove the knife in; Derek could feel the blood trickling down into his jeans.  But faster than Brennan could anticipate, Derek grabbed his blade-wielding hand and broke free of his grasp.  Derek’s hand glowed with a piercing blue that looked as though you would incinerate if you touched it.  Brennan went deathly pale.

 

                “No…”  he breathed.

 

                “I have already done this once.  Must I do it again?”  said Derek quietly, glancing at Brennan’s other arm.  Brennan could hardly breathe.  He looked up at his opponent, expecting a look of scorn and hatred.  But no.  Derek eyes were full of wonder and concern.

 

                Brennan looked as if he wanted to speak, but he didn’t.  The skin of his wrist where Derek’s hand grasped firmly was burning.  The intense cold was all too familiar.

 

                “Listen to me, tell Clemenstra to stay away from Risten.”  said Derek through his teeth.   Now he was angry.  “If she does Risten any harm,”  He gripped Brennan’s hand so hard that the fledgling gasped, “I won’t let you go next time.”

 

                And he let go of Brennan’s wrist.  Shocked, Brennan held his cold-burned hand and backed away.  Then Derek left him without another word.

 

                But it came again, that ominous sense of danger.  Before Derek could turn, an arrow flew through the air and struck his left shoulder so hard that he nearly flew to the ground.  He gasped and glanced at Brennan, but he was still standing there in a daze.  Arias stepped in front of him, bow in hand.

 

                “Forgive me, but it is my duty to see to Brennan’s safety.”  he said, with no trace of emotion.

 

                “Wait…”  said Brennan.  “Let’s just go, Arias.”

 

                Arias looked at him, blank-faced.  “But, Brennan…what will Lady Clemenstra think of this?  I am only thinking of what is best for you.”

 

                “Mind your own business.”  he snapped, covering his injured hand.  “If I am going to kill Derek, it will be me and me only.  Got it?  I can take care of myself.”  Derek thought he had imagined it, but for a second, Arias looked hurt.

 

                “Very well, my lord.” 

 

                Brennan glared at Derek maliciously.  “You and Risten will both die.  My mother grows tired of this.  She will send the demons after your precious love.  And I,”  His crimson eyes burned wickedly,  “I will kill you.”

 

                What does Risten have to do with this?  Thought Derek.  But before he had a chance to ask, both Brennan and Arias disappeared in a cloud of purple-black smoke.



© 2011 Aianarie (INACTIVE)


Author's Note

Aianarie (INACTIVE)
I think this chapter is a bit jumbled together and confusing at some points...I will definitely work on this one a bit more.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

395 Views
Added on November 24, 2011
Last Updated on November 24, 2011


Author

Aianarie (INACTIVE)
Aianarie (INACTIVE)

Eugene, OR



About
**IMPORTANT: This account is inactive. To keep up with me, A.M. Wied, follow me at the Facebook link below! Thank you for your support!** Hello~! My name is Ashley and I am a great many things, .. more..

Writing