Chapter 8: Ana

Chapter 8: Ana

A Chapter by A.D. Taylor

Ana was skeptical about going to places with Ersula.  Ersula always made the trips seem short and simple, but things never turned out as she described them.  It was always something; Ersula really didn’t know the directions to the place she wanted to go; she didn’t really know if the person she was looking for would be where they were going; the s**t she claimed was so good, really wasn’t; just always some kind of complication. 

            Ana, Ersula, and Ponderosa were getting along great.  Ana really liked Ponderosa because she was like a big ball of fun, but mostly because Ponderosa didn’t smoke much.  From what Ana gathered, Ponderosa just liked to dabble from time to time.  Ana had spent the last two hours choking on smoke and laughing, and honestly, could not recall the last time she had such a good time smoking crack.  Ersula had sucked the fun out of it a long while ago. 

            Ana enjoyed Ponderosa’s company so much, she was sad to see Ponderosa go.  Ana even begged Ponderosa to stay a while longer, but Ponderosa protested.  Ana was jealous of the marry man Ponderosa was going to f**k.  This man was f*****g up her good time.  Ana would be left with greedy sour-puss Ersula, and the fun would quickly diminish.

            This is why when Ersula suggested, rather demanded, Ana to come over with her to her girlfriend’s spot, Ana outright declined.  Ana just wanted to get fucked up; no extra changes.  She just wanted to be planted somewhere for at least the next hour to finish off her good night with a bang. 

“No, let’s go to my girl Ramona’s house,” Ersula urged Ana, “I’m telling you it’s worth it! The dope man live right next door to Ramona, and his s**t is always good.”

“Ersula, I’ve heard this before.  Look, I got some crack right here in my pocket I’m trying to smoke right now.  I’m not going anywhere,” Ana said flatly, as she slowly felt a bad attitude creeping up.

“You know if you smoke now, you won’t be able to get up.  Let’s go before we get like that.  I promise this time it’s legit.  On my life, it’s all good,” Ersula said seriously.

            Ana exhaled, and annoyed as hell, reached for her things before saying “Well, bring your a*s then and I swear the first time something don’t go right I’m outta there,”

            Ersula’s seriousness dissolved and was replaced with pure glee, and she laughed softly, then smiled broadly and “Girl, have I ever steered you wrong?”

            Ana never even asked about where they were going.  It always was like this.  Ana drove her car and Ersula gave the directions as they drove.  If Ana did ask where they were going, she was told she would see when they got there.  They had made their rounds in the rougher areas of Mason before, but only to cop, never to stop.  So when they finally arrived at their destination, Ana was horribly surprised and confused; this couldn’t be where Ersula was talking about; this was the hood! 

            It looked exactly like the housing projects on movies and television to Ana, and she didn’t want to get out.  There were people arguing loudly, children playing unsupervised, and unkempt, young, thuggish boys all around them.  Pieces of trash floated in the wind all across the parking lot.  Some of the dingy white walls of the two story apartments had graffiti on them, bringing attention to the many missing or damaged window screens. 

            Ersula didn’t even look at Ana, but instead hopped out of the car.  Ana never saw Ersula move so fast, but quickly put her own apprehension to the side because she did not want to be left outside alone.  Ana knew she stood out and she tried to keep pace with Ersula without looking like she was afraid or running.  She could feel all their eyes on her as she looked down at the debris littered sidewalk.  They approached the apartment building that was farthest away. 

            Ana could smell the dank scent of piss as they remained on the first floor and walked to apartment farthest in the back.  The apartment door they were seeking was directly under the stairs, making it very dark, which worried Ana.  After several knocks, a little girl answered the door.  She couldn’t have been more than two years old, although she was clearly overweight and appeared bigger than she probably should have been.  Her hair looked as if it had not been touched in weeks, as evidenced by the amount of dirt and trash that could be seen at the surface.  Her face was dirty and she only wore a diaper that desperately needed to be changed.  Her mixed-matched socks were filthy   and a much darker color than they probably were when they were new. 

            Ana felt her apprehension returning, as she heard a woman screaming from inside, “Who is it? What’chu wan?”

“Mona, it’s me! Ersula!” Ersula called back, as she stepped passed the toddler and went inside. 

Ana followed suit, somewhat relieved about leaving the dark, dank hall, only to discover inside was no better.  The smell of Ramona’s apartment could only be described as a combination of scents; pepper, body odor, old frying grease, urine, musk, and Pine-Sol.  Ana’s stomach almost turned as she looked around; dirty diapers were everywhere; the trash in the kitchen was overflowing; both sinks were filled with dirty dishes; clothes were scattered all across the living room; the floor was covered with red and black stains, as well as food and trash.

“Did Vanity open that door?” Ramona asked Ersula as she approached from the back of the apartment. 

Ramona was a very tall woman; at least six feet- with long, exaggerated limbs; Ana wondered if Ramona’s knuckles would drag across the floor.  In contrast, Ramona’s torso was very short when compared to the rest of her slender body.  Ramona’s tank top and jean shorts, which both were more appropriate for a teenager, didn’t reveal much as Ramona had small bosoms, and square hips.  Her light blonde hair was tightly pulled away from her long face, revealing her large facial features that were tightly cramped at the center of her face.

            Before Ersula could respond, Ramona answered her own question, “Yea, she did that s**t,” then swiftly struck Vanity's hand, causing a piercing cry to emerge from her.  “Told that little b***h about opening my f*****g doors!” Ramona cried, “take ya little a*s in that mothafucking room with Kamar!”  Ana watched in shock as Vanity ran past her with a look of terror on her face and down the hallway.

“Anyway,” Ramona said nonchalantly, “what’s up man? Who dis?”

“Oh, this my girlfriend, Ana.  You know the one I was telling you bout,” Ersula said.

“Oh, the one that get you high all the time?” Ramona said.

“Yea, but damn, you ain’t gotta throw me under the bus,” Ersula said annoyed.

“So not only do you use me, but you brag about it too?” Ana asked, trying not to let this bother her.  She realized some time before that Ersula was manipulating her, but chose to deny this to herself because she didn’t want to smoke alone. 

“Mona, let her hit this s**t, so she can shut the f**k up,” Ersula said sharply.

“Hold the f**k up!” Ana said, “don’t talk to me like that.  I’m not here for�"“

“Here, girl. Hit this s**t,” Ramona said, offering a pipe she pulled from her pocket.  Ana forgot she was upset as she reached for the pipe, put it between her lips, and then lit it.  Her head was swimming, vision blurred, heart pounding, after the first hit, but she had to take a second while she was feeling good.  She liked to get as high as possible.

“Good, huh?” Ersula said smugly, “but I don’t know what the f**k I’m talking about…”

“F**k that s**t,” Ana said through clenched teeth, “I want some more.  Where we gotta go?”

Ramona and Ersula exchanged looks. 

“Well, that was a piece of the lil bit I got from B-Block,” Ramona said with a slight hint of a smile at the corners of her mouth, “but he left the Pound.”

“Ersula said the dope man lives next door,” Ana said, looking for Ersula to agree with what she said.

“Oh, they got evicted,” Ramona said, “I was too sad to see him go.  He always had good s**t.”

“See, I told you,” Ersula finally said.

“B***h, that ain’t helping me now,” Ana said.

“Well, anyway, I just had that little bit from B-Block, and I don’t have any more money,” Ramona said slowly, randomly moving several pieces of dirty clothing from one spot to another. 

“And y’all know I aint got no job, so I don’t never have no money,” Ersula said.

            Ana was not surprised.  Ersula had s**t her again.  Not only was Ersula going to freeload, but she was bringing company.  Ana knew at that very moment she had two choices:  she could get the good s**t and have to get Ersula and Ramona high too, or she could leave with the s**t she already had in her pocket.  It sounded simple enough, but Ana knew the wrong decision in the beginning would only promise an uneventful and dreadful night.  

            On one hand, if Ana smoked her own s**t alone, she would save herself so much time and money, and while the hit Ana just took way much better than the dope she had, smoking it would mean Ana would have to buy three times as much crack as she normally would and deal with two more attitudes than she cared to.  She knew she should take her crack and run, but it was too late.  She had taken the bait. 

            All it took was one hit that was just good enough and big enough to have her craving for more.  Ana knew when she saw Ramona and Ersula exchange looks earlier.  She saw the smile Ramona was holding back.  The thought of them using her made her mad as s**t.  But Ana wanted that s**t.  It was so good.  So much better than what she already had.  But some much trouble would come along with getting it.  She’d have to drive to God knows where and trust that she’d get the same s**t she just smoke.  Ana had to make this decision before she took a hit because if she smoked first, she’d be planted until everything was gone.  

            Ana’s eyes shifted from Ersula to Ramona several times.  Ersula was quiet, appearing nonchalant as she picked her nails, while Ramona was less successful in hiding her anxiousness, slowly and nervously pacing back and forth. 

Ramona broke the silence and said “We better get it now if we gonna get it ‘cause you never know if you gonna run up on the same s**t after you wait a long time,”

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

 

            Ana paced around Ramona’s bedroom as she fixed her hit.  Ersula had won back some points with Ana because the trip to get the s**t was relatively short and painless.  Ana was satisfied when she saw the product looked the same as the piece Ramona had let her sample earlier, and she got to deal with the dealer herself, when he got inside the car with them. 

            Ana’s first hit left her unable to move, and she savored the light headedness she was feeling.  The sensation fleeted quickly, allowing Ana to awaken from her temporary stupor and take notice of Ersula and Ramona, both of whom were staring at Ana.

“Damn, b***h, it’s like that, huh?” Ersula asked, with an enormous smile, but with a hint of attitude in her voice, “can we have piece? Damn,” she said sourly.

            With a racing heart, Ana fought to control her bodily movements as she slowly and clumsily fumbled with the baggie in her pocket, and carefully plucked two hard, sizable rocks out.  Both women eagerly reached for their pieces, and expertly assembled their hits.  The three women sat in silence momentarily, Ersula and Ramona each sitting at a corner of Ramona’s unmade bed, while Ana kicked the dirty piles of Ramona’s clothing on the floor to the side, creating a walkway in the bedroom. 

            Ana knew she couldn’t smoke this s**t too fast.  For once, she was actually afraid of overdosing.  S**t this good was meant to be savored, and Ana would be damned if she allowed Ersula to ruin her night.

“Well, what you waiting on?” Ersula asked Ana impatiently, almost snarling.

            Ana knew this was the beginning of the end.  No one had even taken their second hit yet, and Ersula was already making demands.  Not to mention, Ana had given them both large hits.  There was no way they needed more after one hit.  In that moment, Ana decided to take her s**t and leave.  If she could enjoy her s**t in peace, Ana would not have minded supply both Ramona and Ersula the entire night.  Ana refused to buy supply the s**t and also be aggravated all night. 

“Damn, Ersula, why you doing that?” Ramona said, sensing Ana’s apprehension.

“What you talking about?” Ersula asked innocently.

“That! F*****g up a good time, that’s what! Being greedy! That’s what!” Ramona said aggressively.

“I aint mean no harm,” Ersula said with a small, insincere giggle.

“You bout to make your home girl leave, and we all just tryna have a good time.  We got some good s**t.  Aint nobody f****n’ wit’ us. Just chill the f**k out,” Ramona instructed Ersula, pointing her finger at her.

“What?” Ersula asked sharply, “What was all that for Mona? I mean really, who died and made you queen?”

“Ersula, just take a hit.  Just shut the f**k up and take your hit.  You just aint got no kind of manners,” Ramona said, before bringing her glass pipe up to her mouth again.  Her pipe quickly filled with thick clouds of smoke that she just as quickly inhaled, filling her lungs. 

Ersula sat looking at her pipe, her lips turned down with dissatisfaction.

“B***h, you crazy.  You don’t need another piece.  That’s that gas right there!” Ramona spoke quickly.

“I jus’ want a small, little piece to go wit what on my s**t already, damn. You aint gotta be all in my s**t, Mona,” Ersula said sharply, “I know how to get me�"“

“Here!” Ana said, her voice slightly raised, and reached into the baggie, then gave Ersula another smaller piece, “take it, and don’t say s**t else to me.” Ana said, clearly annoyed.

Ana reached into the baggie again for two more pieces for Ramona and herself.  Ana was not going to let Ersula rush her into smoking this s**t, but she had to take another hit after just having to deal with Ersula’s buzzkill a*s.  She and Ramona took off at the same time, both of them exhaling long streams of rolling smoke.  Ersula, finally melting her new piece to her other piece she already had, smiled watching Ana and Ramona’s reactions. 

            They sat in silence and slowly savored each wonderful hit. Only the clicking of their lighters could be heard, followed by the sound of their exhalations.

"D****t," Ersula said sharply, tossing her lighter down beside her on the bed.

"Can somebody let me hold their lighter?" Ersula asked, looking between Ana and Ramona.
When she didn't receive an answer, Ersula asked again, but more sharply.
            “I only have this one and I know what a beating you put on a lighter, so no, you can't borrow my lighter. Besides, I bought the s**t for you and your friend, I gotta provide you with a lighter too?" Ana said, fixing up another hit.
            "Well, damn b***h, I just asked a question!" Ersula exclaimed, clearly offended by Ana’s pointed words and tone.
            "Is all that really called for?" Ersula continued, I mean really, you being downright nasty"
            "Because I know how this goes: You bug me until I let you use my lighter, then somehow we end up sharing a lighter, then before I know it, it’s become your lighter and I'm borrowing it from you until you burn all the fumes out," Ana replied bluntly, then placed her glass pipe between her chapped lips, lit it, then took a deep drag.
            After exhaling and catching her breath, Ana said to Ersula, "your best bet is to ask your girl if she has a damn lighter, because you are not about to bug me about s**t, and I mean that. Don't fix your mouth to ask me for s**t."
            "You tripping right now, “Ersula said, turning her attention to Ramona, as she turned to face Ramona.
            "That rock got her mind right now, Mona," Ersula said aggressively as she leaned in closer to Ramona, "let me get your lighter."

            "I'm using it," Ramona replied, pipe in mouth, then lit the pipe.
            "Please get off the dumb s**t and just let me use the f*****g lighter," Ersula demanded, reaching for the lighter.
            "Naw b***h," Ramona said aggressively, her voice rising sharply, "it ain't that type of party. You pull that with her, not me.  You forgot what type a b***h you f*****g with?" Ramona asked, rising from her seat on the edge of the bed, "b***h, I'll take all y’all s**t and ya money and put y’all a*s out my house"
            "Don't forget where you at b***h," Ramona said, "you don't come over here making no demands. Now you can go find a lighter, but you not about to f**k with us cause really you don't serve no purpose. Ya girl got the money and I got the connect. What you contributing?"
            "Now go find a lighter or shut the f**k up," Ramona commanded Ersula, going to the bedroom door and opening it.
            "Well?" Ramona asked impatiently, leaning against the opened door, "we trying to get high. Get the f**k out and don't come back until you have three lighters,"
            "Y’all is some real b*****s," Ersula said with clenched teeth, "some ol low down, ter-ble b*****s,"
            She quickly rose from the bed, stamping past Ramona, and into the hall.
            "You just keep talking that s**t Ersula. That's what you do!" Ramona shouted after her before slamming the door shut.
            "That’s why we locking the door. Nobody got time for that f*****g bullshit" Ramona said to Ana, who had sat quietly smoking crack the entire duration of the angry exchanges between Ramona and Ersula.


 



© 2015 A.D. Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
Added on February 12, 2015
Last Updated on February 12, 2015


Author

A.D. Taylor
A.D. Taylor

Walterboro, SC



About
I'm a thirty-something aspiring writer who has finally found the courage to share my work! more..

Writing
Synopsis Synopsis

A Chapter by A.D. Taylor


Dedication Dedication

A Chapter by A.D. Taylor


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by A.D. Taylor