Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Analae

Micheal woke up sometime later and rolled over, feeling as if he had a hang over.  He frowned, shook his head, running his fingers through his hair. He planted his feet on the floor and slowly stood up, feeling as if he were hung over. He trudged, feeling heavy, towards the bathroom, running his hand along the wall for the light switch.  He had no idea what time it was, nor remembered when he got home.  He knew the sun was too bright, attacking his dark sanctuary like it had every right.  He groaned and made his way slowly into the shower, letting the first spray of excruciatingly cold water attack his skin.  This brought him to his senses a little more and he shuddered, begging the hot water to hurry and heat up.  He shook his head, letting the water rush over him, steam rising all throughout the room. His skin turned a bright red but he was oblivious to the heat, enjoying the feel of the heat, the steam, clearing his senses. A few minutes later he turned the water off and stepped out onto the plastic mat on the floor.


He grabbed a towel, dried off and threw on a pair of boxers and headed to make some very strong coffee.  While the coffee brewed he found an old duffel bag sitting in the bottom of his closet.  He pulled it out, threw it on his bed and started stuffing it with jeans, a nice dress style jacket, two pairs of shoes and other odds and ends.  He then slowly slid a small stuffed wolf into the bag, hiding it in a jacket pocket.  He had the small wolf since his parents had died and he didn't want to leave it behind just in case someone broke in to his apartment.  After he felt well enough packed he went back for his coffee.  He filled a large travel mug that had paw prints all around it and simply said “I would rather see the wolf then hear his friends.”  He dressed, pulled on his shoes, threw his bag over his shoulder and walked out the door, coffee in hand like an Olympic torch.



He sipped his coffee as he walked, blinking into the glaring afternoon sun.  He sighed and looked around, then made his way for the hidden door from where he had seen Sarah the first time.  He finally made his way to the broken stairs and headed down into the shadows, the sun at his back.  He knocked on the large door and the small whole opened and the blue eyes of Bruce glared through.  Soon the door opened and Micheal headed in, still feeling that annoying chill go up the back of his spine as he made his way past the massive doorman. He wondered if he would ever get over feeling like he thought Bruce was going to eat him at any given moment.



Micheal nodded, not speaking to him and made his way past Bruce and into the small bar area. He put as much distance between himself and the doorman as he could as quickly as he could. He tried to force his eyes to adjust, the lighting a glaring contrast from the bright sunlight that had attacked him moments before.  He squinted through the fluorescent lighting that assaulted his vision and had to close his eyes for a few moments.  When he opened them, he saw black tall boots, stockings, short skirt and crossed arms. He sighed, knowing Sarah was watching him and he wondered how long she had been standing there.  She smiled a little and motioned for him to follow her.  Without waiting she turned and headed down the hall, making sure to avoid the massive double doors that belonged to Alexander.


Micheal followed her, remaining silent, his mind racing.  It was odd to hear only his shoes squeaking and clattering on the hard floor.  Sarah, even in high heels, moved like a cat leaving no noise in her wake.  This slightly bothered him, making him feel like a bull in a china shop.  He sighed, and hefted his pack a little more, shoving the now empty coffee mug into an empty pocket on the side.  Soon Sarah stopped and opened a door and stood next to it.


 “This is your quarters.” She replied, finally breaking the silence.


 Micheal almost jumped, not expecting it.  “It has it's own shower, bed, and bathroom.  There is a wet bar on the side fully stocked.  A mini fridge with snacks.  The kitchen is behind the bar, and is community use.  If you mess anything up, you clean it up.  We are all responsible for our own messes.  Wednesdays you will leave your clothing outside your door.  It will be collected, washed and delivered back that afternoon.  If you feel you need to go out, check in with me or Michelle, whom you will meet later.”


Micheal just nodded, feeling like he was going to a boarding school instead of a job.  “Check in?” He asked, slightly caught off guard. He had not been talked to like that in his life, ever. He wasn't sure how to react.


Sarah nodded.  “If we need someone to fill a shift we like to know who is in and out at any given time.” She replied, without missing a beat.  “So yes, check out.  You don't and it creates trouble.  Trouble for one is trouble for all and you will make enemies quick.” She snorted and leaned against the frame, watching him.


Micheal moved into the room and looked around.  He was instantly surprised.  It was fairly large and well furnished.  A bar stood in the corner, complete with glasses and champagne flutes.  A large bed stood in the center of the room, a large red leather couch sat against a wall with a large flat screen television across from it.  There was a writing desk, and more that he could not see without exploring.  He would do that later.  He looked back at Sarah, dropping his duffel bag on the floor.  He sighed.  “Thanks...its nice.” He felt stupid saying it was nice but didn't know what else to say.  He figured amazing would make him seem like a child, and he already figured he looked out of place.


Sarah chuckled.  “If you need anything else let me know.” She replied.  “I'll be in the kitchen, I am starving and its past my lunch time.” She smiled and left him to get acclimated to his new quarters.  She remembered the first time she had received her quarters and just about squealed at all the things.  She had come from a poor family and this was all she had ever dreamed about.  She was happy here and hoped he would be too.  She headed out of the room and down the hall, soon disappearing around the corner.


Micheal grabbed his bag from the floor and tossed it on the massive bed.  It sank just a little and he ran his hand along the duvet cover.  It felt so soft, as it if were filled with down.  He shuddered just a little and unpacked, putting his wolf on the pillows.  He then found a dresser and tucked his few clothing items in drawers and went to see where the bathroom  was and if it were as well furnished as the main room. 


He walked into the bathroom and almost stumbled when he entered.  The lights were a chandelier style, with crystal drops hanging from it.  He blinked again, seeing engraved towels with the second sunrise logo on it.  He rubbed his hands across a towel and they were soft, and a beautiful blue.  He sighed and leaned against the light yellow colored walls and closed his eyes for a moment.  He had never hurt for money but this was almost like movie star quality.  It caught him off guard to an extreme content.  After a few short moments he regained his composure and saw the footed tub and stand alone shower.  A massive mirror, surrounded by silver decoration stood in the center of the wall, over a large marble sink.  He turned the faucet on and splashed water onto his face then used one of the hanging towels to dry himself.  After that he left the bathroom, turning off the light as he exited.  He closed his eyes again shaking his head then left his room.  He was actually a little hungry and Sarah mentioning food had made him realize that.


He made his way into the dining bar area and sniffed, smelling some sort of meat. He instantly thought steak but wasn't sure.  He swallowed, feeling himself drool.  He chuckled slightly thinking of Pavlov's dogs then walked into the kitchen.  Sarah stood behind a grill, a pink frilly apron around her middle.  He had to bite back a laugh.  A woman, dressed in all black, with skulls and tattoos all over standing cooking, wearing a pink frilly apron.  He swallowed, almost afraid of getting hit with a spatula and smiled, crossing his arms and leaning against he wall.  


Smells great,” he spoke, breaking the silence.  He looked around the kitchen and smiled slightly.  It was big for a bar.  It was restaurant quality if nothing else.


Sarah chuckled.  “Umm...thanks.” She replied smiling, and set out two steaks, french fries and something that smelled like soda and orange juice. 

Micheal laughed a little and pulled up a stool.  Sarah frowned.  “Umm...we have tables...”She replied, staring at him, cocking her head just a little.  “Grab a plate and eat in the restaurant area...not in here.” She grabbed her plate and drink and walked past him, slinging her apron on a hook near the door. Micheal blushed and nodded, pushing the stool back in place and grabbing his plate.


He nodded and followed her, plate in hand, drooling a little.  He had not realized he was really hungry till he smelled food.  He took a seat at one of the tables, seeing Sarah sit down across from him.  “I cooked you do dishes.” She stated, cutting into her steak.  

He frowned.  “Yeah..sure...”He murmured, a little off guard at the order.  He was used to cleaning up after himself.  This was going to take some getting used to.  He cut into his steak and stared as the juices ran out like a red syrup.  He swallowed hard, then shrugged and dug in.  He usually liked his steak well done but was not going to complain over the offered food.  


Sarah watched him.  “You don't like it you make it next time.” She stated, already half way through her steak.  “I cook it how most of 'em here eat it.  So, if its not like you like it, just next time step in and make it.”

Micheal frowned and shrugged.  'No, no..i'ts fine.” He murmured.  “Just I have never eaten it like this.  Its actually quite good.”


She smiled and sat back, drinking from her glass.  “We open at nine tonight.  So be dressed and ready.” She told him, watching him.  “You will more than likely be watching the door.  So, Bruce will be giving you a run through and showing you what to do.  Then based on your night shift performance we will decide if you are day or night shift for the door duty.”

Micheal nodded, still catching up.  “Bruce?” He asked, thinking to himself.  “Oh ,the big guy from the other day.  Okay, that shouldn't be too bad.” He swallowed hard, a shiver running up his spine again, hoping the big guy wasn't going to try and eat him. He was not looking forward to being alone with the big, blue eyed, doorman.

Sarah nodded and they finished their meals in silence.  After dinner was complete, she got up and walked off, heading for her room.  Micheal got up, cleared the table and went to make himself knowledgeable with the kitchen.  A short while later he finished his clean up duty and leaned against the wall.  This was going so fast.  He had not known that all this was going to happen, especially after meeting a woman a few days before.  He still did not fully understand how all this had happened or what all was yet to come.

After his clean up he went back to his room, staring at the walls and floor as he moved.  The wood was polished to a shine.  It had to be true hardwood.  He was surprised, there was not a single knick or scratch along the surface.  He found his room, walked in and sat down on his bed, to contemplate his new employment.









© 2017 Analae


Author's Note

Analae
rough draft

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on November 30, 2017
Last Updated on November 30, 2017


Author

Analae
Analae

Sumter, SC



About
I love to write. I have a lot of new ideas and have found a few of my ideas to have taken a darker turn. I have moved from doing poetry to doing more along the story lines. I have been updating a l.. more..

Writing
Break Break

A Chapter by Analae


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Analae