Library and Research

Library and Research

A Chapter by Emett
"

Jamie heads to their haven and notices something no one wants to acknowledge.

"
“So where are we going today James? Library? Subway? How about we go get some ice cream? I like that idea.” Joey said, implying that she’s hungry, even though she knows she can only eat when I do. That’s another thing about Specials, they can only eat when their “creators” eat. It happens at the same time, neither can help it. “ How about pasta instead, chicken and cheese tortellini.” says Joey knowing fully well how much I love pasta.
“We can have ice cream too, what flavor do you want?” I say to Joey. Joey is the happiest being fed. After I spoke out loud some people around me gave me strange and startled looks. Something I think is a bit inconvenient being able to see and talk to specials, is that people stare at you when you talk out loud. I like to pretend that I’m on my phone to avoid stares.
“Sounds good to me. So when do you plan on talking to those brats’ specials?” Joey asks excitedly. Knowing Joey she’ll try to look as intimidating as possible.
“No clue yet, maybe tomorrow. Do you know where the usually go during school?” I ask hopeful that she does.
“How the hell should I know? We’re not all connected somehow, nor have I ever cared enough to know.” she says slightly offended. My hopes to finding an easy solution are gone.
“Well I figured you’d do something other than pay attention in class with me. Alright plan B, you go find out where they hang out. Since you can turn into anything you can travel faster than I can. Meanwhile I’ll go to the library. It’s 12pm, let’s meet up at the Chocolate Shoppe at 3pm. How’s that sound?” I feel like it’s a good plan and it gives me time to study in silence. Joey looks at me stunned as if it were the first time I said something intelligent.
“Fine, but we better get cookie dough and mint chip ice cream later!” she replies. She changes into a pixie and poofs out. I make my way to the public library. Lucky for me it’s fairly close to the school, about a 5 minute walk really.
I find myself in front of my favorite place on Earth. A medium sized building, four entrances and exits. You would think at first glance it would be a city hall or the state capitol based on how extravagant it looks. There are two specials and always two specials guarding the entrance. The library has both specials and humans as helpers, not that the librarians know. The library is a hotspot for specials, kind of a mix of a mall and a hospital. Specials are either born or treated here. The guardians of the entrance are none other than Louise and Calvin. Calvin is in the shape of a Shisa a mythical Okinawan protector,and Louise as a tiger, she thinks a tiger is mightier than a Lion.
“Hello James, how have you been?” Calvin asks. He is the mature one of the two and by proving so he greets me formally.
“We’ve missed you! It’s no fun around here without you Jamie!” Louise exclaims. She loves it when I read her favorite books, especially out loud to her. She’s like a small child sometimes.
“ I’ve been okay and I’ve missed you guys too. I’d rather be in the library than school any day.” I say and mean it.
“Oh you won’t believe what happened yesterday! There was a group of people whom came in and they could hear and see us like you! Apparently the have a community out by Stevens Park. They gave me their contact information to give to people like you guys.” Louise said ecstatically. It’s unbelieveable.
“ I’ll take it, maybe it’ll come in handy.” I said. I don’t know if they’re the real deal or not, but who knows. I’ll look them up, “Thanks Louise.” I say to her with a smile. Louise gives me a face filled with hope. I don’t want to take that smile away from her. I walk inside and to the majority of others it seems calm and quiet, but to me it’s all hustle and bustle. Since it’s a library the specials here know not to talk around me unless necessary, some do anyways, but most are respectful. I make my way around the holds wall to check to see if my hold is in yet. “At least one of my holds are in”
“Hi James, I’m glad to see you, but shouldn’t you be in school?” A small yet strong voice says behind me. I turn and see one of the best librarians I know, it’s none other than Frost, their full name Francine.
“Hey what can I address you as today?” I ask tentatively.
“Today I feel more Frost. So did you get suspended again?” He asks concerned for my education.
“Yeah, but no worries, I’m here to do some research and I might look someone up. They might be able to help me.” I could see if they have any information about people like us, or specials.
“Well as long as you're not hiring any mercenaries I’m fine with that. I have to go find Bea, she owes me a coffee.” with a wink and a determined look, Frost goes out on a coffee hunt. I head over to my favorite spot. It’s the kind of place you’d overlook but it’s the best one in this entire library. It’s to the left of all the language learning books, in front of all the fiction books, to the right of all the manga, and right above all the craft instruction books. My favorite spot is between the first and second floor. Not many can see it as a nice spot to be, especially not with a see through floor and everything. Today my focus will be on the Rational root theorem. Math is both a really easy and hard subject, easy to study but can be hard to understand. After forty agonizing minutes, I’ve made it through five very long problems, the rest I’ll finish later...if I remember. Speaking of remembering, I need to look up the names of those other people. I find a computer and log in. As my computer was loading, a special decides it’d be fun to make weird faces at me. I did my best to pretend not to notice, I almost laughed but I stayed strong… okay I grinned a little but it was funny.
I clicked on the chrome icon and took out the folded up piece of paper. There are three names and phone numbers on it. The first name is Allie Ray, with the number one search engine in this media driven world I looked her up. Of course there’s no useful site in sight. The next one I look for is Rose Rodgers, all I could find was a female version of Mr. Rodgers or a character from an animated kids show, so again definitely no help. The last name on the list is Ryan Norderhaug, and all google could pull out was stuff on Norwegian communities. I looked up all three names but none of them connect, either that or I should switch to Bing. I check the time and it’s about 2:30, since it takes me twenty minutes to walk to the Chocolate Shoppe I log off my computer and pack my things up. As I make my way to the door I hear the cries of a scared small animal. Since I’ve been burdened with a good conscious, I look around for the source. I finally find a new born Special, only everyone around is ignoring it, even the older Specials. I inch closer to get a better look, the newborn looks like a baby Griffon. It has dark gray feathers that look as if they’re all going to fall at the slightest touch. It’s eyes are shut and look pained. It’s beak barley opening, sounding more and more strained with each cry. It’s talons curled into itself, looking for comfort. I look around but no one is here to claim it. I see an older Special watching me, I pull out my phone while I walk and stand right in front of it.
“Hello, excuse me. My name is James and I have a few questions.” As I talk into the phone I look directly into the Specials eyes, “Why is everyone ignoring the newborn? Is there something wrong with it?” The special looks shocked, opening and closing his mouth contemplating what to say as it gazes at me with wide eyes.
“Hello James, my name is Nathan, and the newborn was created based on a small idea, but wasn’t claimed. Since there is no one to claim the young one it will perish. I’m assuming it only has two more days to live.” Nathan looks at the Griffin with pity. I ask,
“Isn’t it possible for another Special to claim the newborn, and how do you claim a Special?” There has to be a way to save the poor thing.
“Only humans, and the Eldest can claim them by giving the new ones names.” He said. His eyes bored into me as if containing a burning question.
“Thank you Nathan. I’ll talk to you soon.” I pretended to hang up and made my way to the small Griffin. I bend down and look down to see a blue and green eye gaze up at me. “Hey there little guy, I’m gonna take you home with me, okay? I’ll name you Briana Cassiday. Bri for short.” I whisper only as to let her hear me. I pick her up and tuck her into my arms. As I looked closer, I noticed her eyes and feathers start to change colors. Her feathers turn into a dark brown shade with gray tips, and her eyes into a an amber and a hazel color. I can’t help but be jealous, I want to be able to change the colors of my eyes without using those irritating contacts. As she looks into my eyes with an intense fascination she coo’s and clicks. I start to make my way to the exit and Nathan comes up to me,
“You have claimed it, do not worry. Take great care James.”


© 2017 Emett


Author's Note

Emett
Hope you guys can help me with pacing and grammar. Thanks again for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on October 23, 2017
Last Updated on October 25, 2017


Author

Emett
Emett

About
I write as more of a hobby, and I'm not all that good at organizing my thoughts, or grammar. I'll gladly accept criticism. more..

Writing
Tired Tired

A Poem by Emett


To the Principal To the Principal

A Chapter by Emett


Suspension Suspension

A Chapter by Emett