Accident

Accident

A Chapter by Aube Ralph
"

Final chapter of part 1. The chapters get heftier after this...I'm still wondering if I can't expand more on the 1st three chapters though.

"

 

The expressway was crowded. Headlights from each car shone so bright, it looked like daytime. Luc had a few chocolate martinis with mom, so I drove. We reminisced about our earlier years together. It had been six years, and we were excited about getting hitched. I wanted to get married the day I realized I loved him, but he wanted to wait until we were both done with law school. I remember when we used to fight every other day when we first moved into our apartment. We broke up about twelve times within the first couple of months.
            He leaned over to kiss me on the cheek when the hummer slammed into my bumper. My thoughts went back to two days prior. I was at the Land Rover dealership working out a deal with the salesman. Luc and I used to talk about the “Black Range” ever since I could remember, and we bought it cash less than 72 hours before. I called 911, reported the crash and then got out of the car to evaluate damages.
            There was a full house in the yellow hummer that was completely collapsed in the front. I could see them moving. I knocked on the driver’s window. The window opened in the few seconds that followed. He couldn’t be more than eighteen years. The scent of cheap beer emerged from the car. “Great!” I thought. This freaking kid was drinking and he got behind the wheel. I wanted to squeeze the life out of him. I bought my first vehicle, and some a*****e-rich-kid banged it up. Remaining calm, I asked him if every one of his six drunken friends were well. He said they were fine, just a little drunk.
            Not only had he been drinking, but everyone in the hummer was, and some of them had open cans ready for consumption. Before I could respond, the first dispatcher showed up. He asked the likely questions, though all of the answers were obvious. I was going to sue. I was going to get a new Range Rover and a new house, and this kid’s parents were going to pay for it. By then, Luc had joined us outside while we made our statements. We’d barely driven on the expressway, and two more hours of driving welcomed us.
            By now Luc had sobered up, so I made him drive. Why’d we have to move to Riverdale? Both of us worked in Manhattan, but we couldn’t pass up on the duplex deal we’d found. It was a really quiet neighborhood. It was a great place for a family, if we decided to have children and beautiful scenery for “newly weds” to enjoy.
            Luc sang his road trip songs as we zoomed past the cars on the parkway. The hardest part of our engagement was over. Mom gave us her blessing; we just needed to let her know we were pregnant too. I couldn’t wait to tell the therapist that I was getting married. I remember when I first started I wouldn’t say a thing. I’d been seeing her for over ten years. My most recent memory was my high school senior year. Anything prior had been a struggle. I tried seeing “Doc” under my mom’s recommendation, but failed to speak. She recommended a journal.


© 2009 Aube Ralph


Author's Note

Aube Ralph
again, let me have it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great, just like the previous two. Only complaint is it doesnt feel complete. I mean I know that there's a ton more material but it feels idk short I guess. This one and the second chap. I'm sure you'll do a ton more fiddling with it and make it even out. But as a book it'd be something I'd love to read entirely. It's one of those things I'd pick up on a spur and be hooked to. You're a really greatwriter this story shines with love and hardship of real family life. Great stuff!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great, just like the previous two. Only complaint is it doesnt feel complete. I mean I know that there's a ton more material but it feels idk short I guess. This one and the second chap. I'm sure you'll do a ton more fiddling with it and make it even out. But as a book it'd be something I'd love to read entirely. It's one of those things I'd pick up on a spur and be hooked to. You're a really greatwriter this story shines with love and hardship of real family life. Great stuff!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
1 Review
Added on September 16, 2009
Last Updated on September 17, 2009


Author

Aube Ralph
Aube Ralph

Bronx, NY



About
24. Grad School Literature. I love writing, it's always been a part of my life ever since I could remember, even before the blog age I have been writing incessantly. I specialize in poetry, short stor.. more..

Writing
push push

A Poem by Aube Ralph


new new

A Poem by Aube Ralph