Chapter One~ The Beginning

Chapter One~ The Beginning

A Chapter by Brette Medb
"

Both actual Greek Myth and some of my own invention

"

    Into the night the mist swirled, pierced by thin streams of light cast down by the moon overhead. The north winds blew in rippling the surface of the water by which I stood. The night, though cold, was refreshing to my flushed face as I ran through the winding streets seeking solace from the one who hunted me. I had screwed up and badly, now if I did not find a place to hide I would pay for that mistake with my life. As the oldest in my family, descended from a long line of witches, it is my duty to uphold the family name and protect those who are hunted by the forces of darkness. In this day and age it may seem only fantasy; witches, warlocks, vampires and the like but to me this is reality. A reality in which I protect all those who believe it to be fantasy. Humans walk the streets afraid of theives and murderes but few stop to think about what else could be lurking in the shadows stalking them in the night. As the moon rises high in the sky I am offered a brief reprieve from my hunter. The dark forces of the night cannot stray into the moon's sheltering light for it burns their skin causing extreme agony. Darkness has had many names over the course of time but the entity itself has yet to change, as has the mission of my family and so many others. We are to hunt it, kill it, protect those who do not have the power to protect themselves and tonight I have gone from hunter to hunted. Pride is the downfall of all man and the killer of all kings.


    In the early years of this world the gods fought over how to control the darkness that consumed the humans; the darkness of evil. Evil did not exist as the gods did at the beginning of time, but was instead born of the hatred that lurked deep within the souls of man. The myth of Pandora's Box was created to explain this evil, for no human wants to believe the evil exists within themselves. The greed, hate and pride that existed deep within their beings began to take on a life of its own as it consumed more of those who lived upon the earth, becoming a living, breathing entity in its own right. This anathema spread over the land causing great wars and destruction until the gods could no longer watch the world destroy itself. They argued for many days and the world was plunged into darkness, the sun did not shine and the moon did not offer her comforting rays. Thunder boomed from the skies and mixtures of rain and snow pummelled the earth. None of the heavenly forces could procure a solution to this evil plaguing the land.
    At the beginning of the third week of caliginosity three powerful sisters met in secrecy from the other gods to create a plan of their own. They knew, although evil was born from men, men were not inherintly evil. Good still existed in a world of constant turmoil, it shone through an innocent child's eyes, a young woman giving birth, the knowledge one finds in death. Mankind could be saved if only they could be shown the way.
    For three days and three nights the sisters met and discussed their plan of action. The other gods had decided to destroy all of man if no suggestions were made to rid this evil that consumed them. The sisters realized no matter how they used their godly powers they would not be able to rid the darkness from the world for it was far too strong, but the oldest of the sisters Hecate did not wish to rid the world of darkness. She began to write down her thoughts in hopes of ordering her mind and contriving a means of saving mankind.

    "The gods wish to rid the world of all darkness but they realize not the calamity that would create. The world was created out of balance; a balance of day and night, and life and death. With every good that is in the world must come a necessary evil. One cannot have birth without an eventual death following. There shall always be evil in men's hearts but if that evil can be controlled then balance is still within our grasps. Good has been hidden in the shadows for far too long but my sisters and I hope to show the gods there is still a chance for it to shine once again. I am the goddess of the night and I cherish the darkness but understand the need for light to follow every night. The evil need not be destroyed but merely contained. I am the most powerful and wise of my sisters, forever in the stage of croning, older than all the gods but my mother Gaia. I alone can control the darkness. The only way in which to stop the evil from spreading is to chain it to the darkness it so flourishes."

    And so the sisters combined their magic and banished the evil to the night where Hecate ruled. The two other sisters Artemis and Selene would protect the world with the light of the moon, casting light within the night weakening the strength of evil. On the night of the full moon all darkness would be paralyzed by the moon's virigin glow but the night of the new moon when no light shown from the sky all evil would reign to protect the balance the world so depended on.



© 2008 Brette Medb


Author's Note

Brette Medb
My spelling is terrible, if you find any errors please let me know!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I didn't find any spelling errors although in truth I became rather engrossed in the tale and might have missed them. I loved how you bring so many different myths and legends into your story here - not relying on the legends of only one culture. It brings a ring of truth to the tale that I think it might lack otherwise. keep going!

laura

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

One/theives Two/ virigin caliginosity shows up as misspelled but taint
Me mum was a witch does that make me a warlock?

Posted 15 Years Ago


I didn't find any spelling errors although in truth I became rather engrossed in the tale and might have missed them. I loved how you bring so many different myths and legends into your story here - not relying on the legends of only one culture. It brings a ring of truth to the tale that I think it might lack otherwise. keep going!

laura

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

warlocks-------oathbreakers, or what do you mean by this. beacause warlock means litteraly oathbreakers in old norse or english i cannot remember which.

Pride is the downfall of all man and the killer of all kings. --------- i love this line so very true!

spelling was fine didn't find any mistakes, but i like how this feels kind of like a myth brought down by the ages. i also like how you used greek, Hecate and combined some celtic, Gaia this is a well thought out c hapter and i am looking forward to reading more.

the trasition from the person running for their life and how the Gods have transfixed the temperment on riding the world of evil. will you go more into it or was it a wee bit of a fluke? if so it should be stricken from this chapter and a chapter made created for it by itself. just my opinion... great job!



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very good start. More please!

Posted 16 Years Ago


This is a really great start. As always, your descriptions are vivid and you drew me right in. I'm with Robert ... please continue. :-D

Posted 16 Years Ago


"A reality in which I protect all those who believe it to be fantasy." I love this.

I also love that you've mixed Mythology with your story. It's fun to draw from stories already told and tailor yours around them. I'm eager to read on... got to know more about this character who's running for his/her life.

Nice job!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Enjoyed the mix, especially the paragraph about balance. I had not thought of evil as a key part of the scheme of things, but your description of the balances here does make sense and containment rather than eradication of evil also makes sense.

Posted 16 Years Ago


this is amazing! you've taken the good and evil battle and made it your own. i'm very intriged and i hope to read more as it becomes avalible. (i'm sure someone's told you but i think murderers is spelled wrong up in the beginning) keep writing!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Now are you are not going to start a story here again and leave me hanging after i have become hooked on it. LOL You imagination and word play is spot on. I love the places you take my imagination with such vivid details that give your words a life of their own. You are an amazing writer and I hope you stick with it my dearest.


Great Job!!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A great beginning to a light vs. dark story :) great work and great job ! =D

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 7, 2008


Author

Brette Medb
Brette Medb

BOSTON



About
So many things have changed and I'm just trying to catch my bearings. All I want is to start writing again and not lose myself to all this change. more..

Writing
Time Time

A Poem by Brette Medb



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..