Chapter Nine~

Chapter Nine~

A Chapter by Brette Medb

    "The distinct tangy scent of blood wafted twards her. Looking down, Branna realized the blood came not from some other being but herself. Her hands were stained crimson and her dark green dress dripped with it from the gash on her arm. No pain seared through her, adrenaline masked the burn and caused her heart to pound harder in her tight chest. Footsteps echoed in the distance forcing Branna to survey her surroundings. Granite arches stood tall and imposing one after the other forming a vast wall. A steady trickle of water flooded her senses with its sweet fragrance. Wind whistled through the openings and a small fire flickered somewhere off in the distance. Treading lightly she approached a large statue of a woman standing sentry next to an enormous stag an overwhelming sense of power and anger slammed into her. The fire she had seen roared before her atop a huge granite altar. The steps echoed once again, Branna spun quickly losing her balance and falling upon her bloodied arm crying out in pain. Hovering above her stood a small, etheral looking child,

 

    "I do apologize, I meant no harm. I have waited many years for you, though you are not the sister for whom I seek. I am Medea, guardian of The Temple Artemis, the youngest of the sisters three. This is to be the place where the first battle shall take place. You inhabit the future and as you see yourself now so shall you be then. I cannot tell you more for you are not the sister for whom I seek. Go now, away from this evil and prepare, for in one month's time we shall meet again."

 

    Branna's eyes snapped open, fear slowly spreading from her muddled mind to her heart. One month? She had but one month to prepare and find the location of The Temple Aretmis? Panic must have shown on her already pale face for the man next to her figeted uncomfortably.

 

    The plane landed a few hours later at LaGuardia International Airport. With nothing more than a backpack she had purchased at the drug store and a few essentials, her inner voice guided her through hte throngs of people into the crisp autumn air. A faint hint of an oncoming Indian Summer floated around her as she hurried to find the nearest available taxi. There were so mnay people, so many enemies that could be lurking, waiting for the moment she let her guard down to capture her soul. A memory flashed in her mind of a past horror but the next moment it was gone. Since entering the city she had felt long buried memories stir within her and she knew if she found her sisters they would all be restored instead of taunting the surface of her conscious mind. Sliding into the back seat of the taxi Branna suddenly felt unsure of the world around her.

 

    "New York City please." The driver chuckled rudely,

 

    "New York City is an awfully big place miss, where'd exactly do ya wana go?" The coarse sound of his accent grated on Branna's nerves but her own ignorance and foolishness angered her more.

 

    "Time Square if you please." The answer flowed through her clenched teeth as if she had known all along. Something in her face must have changed for the cab driver cleared his throat uncomfortably.

 

    "Sure lady, whereva' you wana go."

 

    Building after building sped by, everything blurring into another until the Empire State Building loomed in the distance. Her first trip to America and there was nothing to enjoy, in a month's time she would have to fight the first battle against the powers of darkness and if she and her sisters were to fail, the world before her would cease to exist. A heaviness weighed on Branna's heart, if she were to fail this time she would have no other chances to make it right, there would be no more incarnations to fix previous mistakes. It would take all the power she possessed to win this battle and still preserve the balance her sisters would fail to understand the necessity of.

 

    Caught up in her thoughts and worries of the future Branna failed to notice the sudden change of direction. They no longer drove towards the city but the taxi quickly drifted further and further away from it. It took the setting of the sun for Branna to notice the drastic shift in surroundings. Branna wrapped on the clear partition attempting to get the driver's attention.

 

    "Excuse me, I don't think this is the way to Times Square. Shouldn't we have been there by now?"

 

    The driver ignored her driving further and further into the industrial side of town. The sun sunk so low it was barely visible over the horizon, darkness would settle over the city soon, to Branna this would be both a blessing and a curse. It became clear to her the change in the cabbie's face and demeanor had not been caused by her but the manipulation of a slave. For short periods of time, if they possessed a soul, they could walk amidst the sunlight with minimul discomfort. With the setting of the sun the slave would gain power and have Branna's soul within his grasp.



© 2008 Brette Medb


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The level of details you give to your writings is always such a treat. I find myself so involved with the characters and feel a bond with them. The way you have captured such a deep lying emotional concern within your reads for your character is so wonderful. I have no doubts that someday I will be buying a copy of your best seller somewhere and saying I remember her when. Always such a deep pleasure.


Great Job!!!!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Yikes! How scary for her. You always have such detail in your writing and it flows beautifully. I need to read back through to refresh my memory on the rest of the story, I think.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 3, 2008


Author

Brette Medb
Brette Medb

BOSTON



About
So many things have changed and I'm just trying to catch my bearings. All I want is to start writing again and not lose myself to all this change. more..

Writing
Time Time

A Poem by Brette Medb



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..