Chapter Two~The Dark Ages

Chapter Two~The Dark Ages

A Chapter by Brette Medb

    Many years passed and Hecate continued to claim the night as her own but evil continued to flourish within the hearts of man. They created new technology to harm one another and the darkness that had been created became stronger, emerging into one being who could command the darkness at will. He became the Prince of the Night, forever cursed to never see the light of day but gifted with the powers of persuasion and manipulation. As the sands of time shifted he became known by many names; Beezelbub, the Devil, Lucifer but Hecate alone knew his true name. The Prince of Night feared Hecate for she alone had the power to chain him to the shadows but he knew as mankind evolved the evil in their souls would become stronger, and one day he would have the power to rebel against her rule for the day of the gods was waning. The Christians had come to the lands and were slowly diminishing the power of the gods by implementing their one supreme deity and condeming those of the OId Religion to death. Soon he would have his revenge on the sisters who caused him so much misery.
   
    Centuries passed and soon there were few who remembered the old gods and revered them for their power. Christianity had spread across the land converting all those who knew no better and killing all those who rebelled against the turning of the tide. The few remaining followers of the old ways practiced in secret, fearing for their very safety and trusting few outside their family circle. Wars were waged against "The Witches" and the "Forces of Darkness" yet none realized what they hunted had been born from their evil deeds and desires. The Prince of Night knew it was time, time to shift the balance from good to evil. It was his turn to rule the darkness. Hecate, although wise and immensely powerful had lost much of her magic and remained in a weakened state. Her two sisters, Artemis and Selene, had little power left to their once glorious names. No longer would he be the Prince of Night, he would rule the world and cloak the sun and the moon so the darkness could flourish once more.

    The Dark ages descended upon man but few knew how dark the age was truly to be. The Prince of Night claimed his long after sought throne during the days of the Goth and Vandals sweeping through the lands of Europe. They cared for nothing more than pillaging and raping the land for fortune, these tribed were easy prey for the Prince of Night and his loyal followers. They merged with their already willing souls and destroyed the land and every living being they touched. Darkness swept through the land and the moon remained cloaked from view. Humans lived in fear and soon began to starve for their crops could not grow with no sun to give it life. The one true God they had been taught to worship abandoned them in their time of need and many returned to superstitious beliefs of the ancients. Priests preached of Judgement Day and the need to repent while peasants sought witches and wise women to protect them from the darkness that consumed them.

    Once again the gods met to discuss how to purge the world of the evil that had now tipped the balance. The world was in danger of destroying itself as the energies could not right themselves when so little good existed amongst so much bad. The gods knew if they all combined their remaining power they could rid the earth of mankind and begin again with a new race but they would all have to agree on the course of action for if even one god refused they would not have enough collective power. Hecate alone had been silent throughout the discussion but as one by one the gods agreed to destroy the human race she stood before them all, sorrow lacing her pale grey eyes.

    "Brothers and sisters you speak of ending an entire race of peoples and purging the world of darkness, but our own power lies in the belief of our existence. We may have enough power to destroy those on this planet but at what cost? We will not have enough power to create a new race and continue life on this earth. If we tip the balance in our favor there will be consequences. My mother Gaia bore both man and god and that was the way it was always meant to be. One cannot live without the other. Our powers have waned because few believe in us anymore, if we were to destroy the remaining that do then in time we too shall cease to exist. Is that the price you are willing to pay?" The other gods sat silent staring at Hecate's imposing figure yet she did not stir. Selene and Artemis stood with their sister nodding in agreement. Selene was the first to speak.

    "There must be another way. Are we better than the darkness that consumes them if we see destruction as the answer to our problems?" The gods began to argue and shouts could be heard in the distance, finally Zeus, king of the gods rose silencing any further disputes.

    "If the three of you can come up with a way to save humanity as before then so be it, but if in thirteen days none can be found you shall support our decision and humankind will cease to exist no matter the consequence."



© 2008 Brette Medb


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very powerfully vivid. The scene this paints in my mind's eye come across with such an wonderful clarity. Felt as if I was watching a graphic novel come to life there in front of me a battle for a life. Something pure and truthful but to the point of feeling almost overwhelmed by all that is to be faced.


Great Job!!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

wow that sucks thirteen days... i like the transition and addition of yet more core religious belifes added to a enormity of chaotic flow you structured and encased understanding of what happened in history. still wondering who the person was that was running in the first chapter... no clues and many grains of sand have passed and i think i would make this part of chapter one it fits with it. b ut still interesting and i am curious to see what happens...

Posted 15 Years Ago


Omg gods fighting :o lol

great write i love it

-Aaron

Posted 16 Years Ago


You're raising a lot of controversial issues here. That's a sign of a good writer ... this is a fabulous story and you've definitely got me intrigued with this spin on the gods.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Very powerfully vivid. The scene this paints in my mind's eye come across with such an wonderful clarity. Felt as if I was watching a graphic novel come to life there in front of me a battle for a life. Something pure and truthful but to the point of feeling almost overwhelmed by all that is to be faced.


Great Job!!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i was almost biting my nails at the end of that! i can't wait to find out what they do this time

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 12, 2008


Author

Brette Medb
Brette Medb

BOSTON



About
So many things have changed and I'm just trying to catch my bearings. All I want is to start writing again and not lose myself to all this change. more..

Writing
Time Time

A Poem by Brette Medb



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..