Ability Falls to Will

Ability Falls to Will

A Poem by Brad Dehler
"

Pg 35; Cantus (book)

"

Ability falls to will

It matters not of the examination

            But of the heart-

            Examine it

I care

            But can’t obsess

I do

            But don’t excess

Got a little piece of Heaven

            But can’t explain

© 2022 Brad Dehler


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, explaining everything would quickly kill any sense of wonder... And that's not good.... Unless you're unable to feel any emotion... Then it doesn't matter.

Sometimes, it seems the 'heart' knows better than an overthinking brain does...

Simplifying stuff is better.. Explaining is coming to the 'appropriate' labels for everything then unveiling the system by which they interact....... I forgot wherever this was going... All in all, an enjoyable read this one... All that coming from someone who's a dud when it comes to poetry. Ha!


As for the beginning... Yeah, ability and opportunity mean nothing if you're not willing to use them for whatever reason...

There's still more packed in ere, and that's why I like it.

By connecting certain ideas and experiences with a little word play, there's a lot of thoughts that will follow in a reader's mind....just keeps branching off further and further..

Gshhh... Sorry for the essay haha

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

8 Months Ago

It is a great compliment as well for you to provide the "essay" about such a concise poem. THank you.. read more
Dennis Wolf

8 Months Ago

Just don't overthink it following similar patterns
Brad Dehler

8 Months Ago

Duly noted



Reviews

really good poetry,....genuine, direct and concise, with perfect sense of math and metric.
sincerely, Amber

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Thank you Amber for your kind words. I really really appreciate that. Thank you for the encouragemen.. read more
Damn, and I thought this one was about me. No explanation needed when heaven delivers one of its gifts on your doorstep. And once more your word choice or thought process or both leaves me amazed. Your style is up there my friend.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Wow, I am humbled by your kudos. Thank you so much. It means the world to me Willweb
i appreciate the pen independent of rule
just who is it that decided they were the way and those not falling in lockstep were ... unwelcome

i write free verse ... it is how i am

i appreciate the form of this piece and the candor of your words

welcome to this mess ... HA!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Thank you! I know exactly what you mean
"Well I don't know what you believe, but I do know there's no doubt, I'll need another double shot of some ninety proof, I got too much to think about." Todd Snider from Statistician's Blues

I'm all about doing what needs to be done. I try not to overthink it. But if something seems illogical I have a hard time reconciling it with purpose. I was told by a math teacher recently that 60+1 was a subtraction problem, for example. I argued the point and was told I should take it up with the state board. Now, even if the state board were to tell me that sixty plus one is subtraction I'm still not going to agree. But that's new math, evidently. And they wonder why kids struggle.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Interesting. Perhaps when talking about someone 60 years old, adding one more year is that much less.. read more
getting a little piece of heaven needs to explanation...just an enjoyment of that moment.
j.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Yes, precisely. The moment. So so pristine, so important.
Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Yes, precisely. The moment. So so pristine, so important.
‘But can’t obsess I do
But don’t excess’

We poets writers can all relate to that line

Like this one a lot Brad well done
From one obsessive of her obsessions to another


Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Thank you Julie! You warm my heart
I imagine I'll understand what the Cantus book is. I like your antithetical thoughts. And the interesting structure. The explanation is ... you are floating through Hell in a bubble of heaven.

Bill

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Love your insights Bill. Wonderful. and Thank you. So much to explore with the antithetical nature i.. read more
Beginning with the first line- All of our capabilities are at the mercy of our will. One example is an artist/performer succumbing to drug use or an architect being a shut-in. Then looking at "the examination" -it harkens to Will; as in not to over examine 'paralysis by analysis'.
Then the next lines lend recommendation to examine the heart, that is to look into where our will/drive is coming from, from the core of us- what we care about.
Caring should not be overdone by obsession, Doing activity should not be overdone by excess/lack of appreciation. The final lines refer to the sublime feeling of having a handle of this complexity.

Posted 1 Year Ago


This one seems a bit strained to me, Brad. How did it begin? Was it an idea to express? We can be too close sometimes. It takes distance to remove the excess heat from the heart and let the words rather than the emotions tell the tale.

But what do I know? It's all personal opinion, anyway. Keep going. You are doing fine.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Hello. Ability falls to will.
As in Ability is subject to one's will
W. Barrett Munn

1 Year Ago

Very good. To me that is the sense of it. Without will, ability is pretty meaningless.
Winst.. read more
Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Thank you Winston. Yes, plethora of examples for us... the drug addicted musician, those throwing aw.. read more
This is gorgeous, wonderful. Wow, it just flows and rhymes so nicely. It’s such an intriguing write. ‘I care, but can’t obsess. I do, but don’t excess.’
This my favorite line and it’s honestly very inspiring and makes me want to write, find ways I can evoke emotions such as you did. I really, really like this and I cannot wait to see more of your work. ‘Got a little piece of heaven, but I can’t explain.’ Just awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brad Dehler

1 Year Ago

Vertigo Cat, thank you for such a raving review. I really appreciate that. That is everything, to ha.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

464 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 7, 2022
Last Updated on August 7, 2022

Author

Brad Dehler
Brad Dehler

Salem, OR



About
Hello I am interested in sharing some of the poetry I've produced since I was little. This is not for career or monetary gain, not that there is anything wrong with having art as a career, but I am ju.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..