Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Bianca King
"

Emerald Hunter

"

A set of green eyes flickered in the moonlight. It was a dark street in Sydney and apart from the brief glitter of emerald there was nothing to be seen.

It was a Sunday night, close to midnight and in Sydney, all of the café’s and clubs had already closed. A woman driving her car through the street reflected that it was the main reason she liked Europe better, because whilst at this time of the night most people in Europe left the house, Australia tucked itself in for a restful sleep.

Patient minutes went by with only the noise of rain pattering on the empty street to keep a set of green eyes company.  A broken street light flickered unintelligibly causing a brief shadow of a human to be seen, scuttling across the backstreet without any sound.

The green eyes flickered once more and the breaking of the glass surrounding the street light was heard along with the rain. Then the green eyes disappeared all together.

More minutes passed.

A deep moaning type noise was heard, followed by something heavy dropping to the ground. A new set of eyes illuminated the street. These eyes were sparkling blue. Long blonde hair cascaded down this woman’s back and high stiletto shoes adorned her feet.

Click-clack, click-clack, click-clack, click-clack.

The woman walked down the street in a hurry, not caring to much for her own personal safety. It was as if she knew she was being followed, when in actual fact she didn’t. She hurried in pure haste. She had a long black evening gown on, definitely not material to wear in an abandoned alley.

The puddle filled ground seeped up into the hem of her skirt, causing it to become heavy with waterlog. She lifted the hem from the ground and continued to run.

The woman stumbled and fell into the glass of the street lamp. Her perfect hands and legs scraped through the glass but not a drop of blood ran down or through her. She swore and closed her eyes preparing to disappear. The moaning noise was heard again and but a guitar plucked by accident disturbed it. The woman looked up, the moaning noise instantly ceasing.

“Where are you?” The blonde called out.

Footsteps were heard from one side of the alleyway, a cough from the other. The woman stood up. “I’m not afraid of you, you snivelling brat!”

More footsteps echoed around the alley confusing the blonde.

“Well.” the new voice echoed. “You should be.”

The broken streetlamp was repaired as if someone clicked rewind on a DVD player. It was better than new, turning on so the woman was right underneath it and in full view.

She looked around and saw nothing. “Show yourself Hunter.”

The footsteps which were swirling around the woman stopped. A lone pair of heels was heard clacking up to the spotlight, but never stepped from the shadows. The bright pair of green shone maliciously. “Yes?”

The blonde threw out her hand but nothing happened. She stared at her hand astoundingly then at the floor. When she saw nothing was there she looked up at the green eyes, hovering in midair. “How…?”

“Did I suspend your powers?” The eyes looked amused and darted upwards.

The blond looked up and then sneered. Her blue eyes turned black. No whites could be seen. Just pure inky black.

Above what looked like a web wrapped around the buildings and street lights. It was in a pattern of a star trapped in a pentagram.

“A demon trap.” the blonde muttered. “You know your stuff.”

“Of course I do.” The green eyes smile flashed through the night. “I’m a hunter.”

A gunshot echoed through the streets. The blonde woman, her black dress fanning out around her. A black cloud swirled out of her body and disappeared in a flash of red and white light.

The green eyes stepped into the light of the street lamp. A gun was in her right hand and a guitar case in the other. She knelt beside the blonde woman and long wavy brown hair fell over her pale face.

The blonde woman, now free of the demon inside her, was gasping in pain. “Th-thank you…” she said between breaths.

“I am truly sorry.” She whispered biting her lip. Her voice was remorse filled and she was looking the woman up and down to see if there was anything she could do. Blood splattered down from the woman’s mouth, choking her as more blood poured from her wound, just above her heart.

The Green eyed girl never shot to kill. Not to kill the human, at least. “Is there anything I can do?” she asked quietly, stroking the woman’s long hair, trying to comfort her.

Sometimes the ones who were possessed pleaded with the Green Eyes to bring them back to life. Sometimes they asked to pass on messages to love one. Sometimes they abused her for taking their powers, their demons, away from them.

This was the part of her job which she always hated. The blonde lifted her hand up and cupped Green Eyes hands. “T-t-tell… T-t-tell B-bill… love.” The blonde fell limp and green eyes reached for the woman’s purse. She dug around the contents of the bag and smiled sadly when she found an overly expensive flip mobile. Green eyes looked through the phonebook and committed the number of a Bill Collins to memory.

Then she dialled a phone number.

“Police? I’ve found a woman, blonde, dead. Where?” she looked around the street. “Some back alley in Newtown. The street sign has graffiti all over it. This phone you can trace. My name?” she looked up to the sky, the street lamp illuminating the features on her face. “Emerald Hunter.”

She snapped the mobile and buried it back in the woman’s purse. After picking up her guitar case she took a knife out of her bag and threw it in the air. The trap caved in falling over the blonde woman.

And she walked away. Her name wasn’t Emerald Hunter. Her knife, which had boomeranged back to her, held her true initials. No one knew anything about her and no one ever would if she kept to the shadows and she would keep to the shadows as long as she knew it was safe there.

But soon the sun would rise. Soon she would be discovered.



© 2011 Bianca King


Author's Note

Bianca King
Seriously... Editing...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on May 16, 2011
Last Updated on May 16, 2011


Author

Bianca King
Bianca King

Australia



About
I am Aquarius. I don't know what that means. I write. I sing. I party. I never take myself too seriously. That's about it really. more..

Writing
Run Run

A Poem by Bianca King