Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Bianca King
"

True Mysteries

"

Jen had spent the rest of the week hanging out with Edmund, Zeke and his crew. She had forgiven them for their trick on the first day and really did like them. Herself and Greg had a few classes together but she was quickly learning that they hardly ever went to class. No one did, to be honest. Except for the few students who really did care. However, from experience she knew making friends in her line of work, was a mistake.

She walked down a back alley in Enmore with her guitar case and school bag. Her homework was easy. Read for English and do a few maths problems. Well maybe not totally easy. Jen couldn’t understand numbers at all, nor was she the most literate reader.

As she reached the only large iron garbage bin with a lid she withdrew a set of keys. The lid had a padlock on it Jen quickly opened it up. She threw her school bag in and carefully placed her guitar case in as well. Then she finally hoisted herself up and over so she was standing inside too.

It was surprisingly clean on the inside. It had taken Jen most of the week before to clean it out but it was worth it. This case would take a while so she needed to be sure she was staying somewhere where no one would bother her. What better place than a garbage bin? She had called up the council and ordered it. Now she had to keep paying weekly fees until she called up to have it taken away.

She had bought a few large blankets and laid them out on the floor so she would be comfortable. She also bought pillows and placed it on the sides to make it more homely. She had four lanterns which she used super glue to stick on the walls and turned them on whenever she closed the lid. It was pretty air tight when you did close the lid so Jen made sure she drilled holes in the back so no one could look in but she had enough oxygen to breathe. There was also the plus of living inside an iron bin when one was a hunter.

Demons couldn’t touch iron.

Jen had been hunting demons since she was born. Her father, brother and aunts and uncles from her father’s side were all trained demon fighters. Her mother was a Witch, therefore knew a lot about demon hunting and hunters themselves. They were all extremely skilled and knowledgeable and it was her brother who taught her metal garbage bins were an excellent place to hide.

Small feet pounded against the pavement along with thick heavy ones. “Hurry up Jenny!”

“I can’t!” she was out of breath, tired and about to pass out from exhaustion. The thick black smoke was gaining on them as Jen ran through Melbourne City with her brother Eric. Possession Demons, hundreds of them, were chasing after them when Jen was only four years old.

Eric was fifteen. He pulled on Jen’s arm and up into the air. She grabbed onto him and he held her as he ran for both of them. People in the streets screamed as the black smoke overwhelmed them and possessed them until eventually, a possessed-human army walked alongside the remaining black smoke.

Eric was running fast because he’d come into his powers early. He’d been trained by their mother and was now a full blown Wizard, the tattoo across his wrist proving such. Up ahead, he saw an alley and prayed to Ophelia and Beryl before taking a sharp turn into that alley. “Yes!” he pulled Jen closer to his side and stopped in front of a large yellow metal garbage pin. He flung it open and jumped inside, lying across the trash bags and then pulling the lid shut.

The smell was foul, mixed with mould and expired fruits, vegetables and meat products. Jen was coughing and spluttering, her small lungs unable to handle it. “Through you’re mouth Jenny, through your mouth.” Eric whispered, holding her close.

“Ric, why are we here?”

Eric pulled his overly large mobile out and started dialling a number. “It’s made from iron, Jenny. The demons can’t get us in here.”

There was a rustle and a banging noise from outside. The garbage bin shook. “But they’ve surrounded us now.”

“Don’t worry. Dad, Mum and Uncle John are on their way. They’ll take care of us.” The phone connected and Eric sighed. “Dad? Dad, it’s Eric.”

“Where are you?” Jen heard her father shout through the line.

“In a garbage bin somewhere. Not to sure where. Just follow the screaming humans. I don’t think we can stay much longer. Dad. There’s an army of them.”

“Don’t get out until I call you, okay. And even then, I will come and open the lid.”

“Okay Dad.”

“Give the phone to Jennifer.”

Eric guided the phone towards Jen’s ear and waited. Jen held the phone in both hands. “Daddy? Daddy, I’m scared.”

“Don’t be scared Jen. I’m calling you to tell you, don’t be scared. Uncle Johnny and I are coming.”

“Daddy it smells.”

“I know honey, I know. But please, just stay with your brother.”

“Okay Daddy.” Jen paused and sniffed, trying to hold back the fear she had for her father’s life. At three years old, Jen already understood the value of life and the greatest risk her family took every day.

Death.

“Daddy, I love you.”

“I love you too Jenny.”

Breathing slowly, Jen turned on each of the torches in her own bin and grabbed a small hook on the end of a long stick. Blocking her ears she pulled the lid down and ducked in time for the crash. She opened a small door about ten by ten in the wall which she yet again created herself and put the padlock on the lid.

Jen had to crouch now but it was well worth it. She leant down and clicked open the locks on the guitar case before opening it. Laying there nestled in the black fluffy lining of the case was a shining black semi-acoustic steel string. Along the bottom of the guitar was a rose, wrapped around the base and twisting around itself and two silver guns. “Bloody locks.” she muttered and closed it again. The guitar was her most prized possession. Jen had inherited it from her brother. But that wasn’t what she wanted.

She undid some more locks and reopened the case, this time revealing guns. Six guns sat in the case as well as an iron rod, a crossbow and arrows, a bag of blessed and purified sea salt, a jar of what looked like blood and a bottle of holy water. Below all this stuff was her wallet. It held her cash and a bunch of credit cards. She picked up the small black leather purse and juggled it between her hands as she closed the case.

Jen thought about what she wanted for dinner as she undid the lock on the lid and shoved her wallet in her back pocket. She hoisted herself back out of the bin and after relocking it she headed out to the main road.

Her mobile rang. She answered it. “Hello?” she said cheerfully knowing perfectly well who was on the other line.

“So Hunter, you’re at it again.” Jen rolled her eyes as she heard the voice. It was deep and manly with a hoarseness that mimicked that of an ex-smoker.

“Jeez Crane. It took you a while. It’s been ages since I last hunted. Who’ve you found?” Jen smirked.

“Sarah McCann? A celebrity? You know better.” Crane replied. Andrew Crane was a detective. He had been trying to track down Emerald Hunter for months. Jen liked the banter they kept going but wasn’t stupid.

“You know as well as I do the next two statements are true. I didn’t want to kill her but the demon inside her and you’re tracking this phone call.”

She could almost hear Crane smile. “You know I can’t let this go Hunter.”

“Andrew please. Call me by my first name. We’ve known each other for four years now.” she smirked. “And if you really want to visit me why don’t you just ask where I am? I find this invasion of privacy quite rude.” Jen couldn’t help but laugh as she said that. She paused outside a storefront as she saw a pair of black sling back heels with diamantes on the strap. She looked at the heel and then at the price.

Whilst the stiletto would be good for a makeshift stake or knife, I can’t run as fast in nine-inches and the flimsiness could and would put me in danger. They’re hardly practical. She looked at the heels truly disappointed but kept on walking.

He sighed. “Where are you Emerald?”

“Ultimo.” she lied easily.

“What do you look like?” he asked unexpectedly.

“I’ve got green eyes.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.” Jen smiled softly. “What about you?”

“Brown. With brown hair. Really boring.”

Jen laughed. “Well I’m about to eat dinner. Come join me if you want.”

“I’ll be seeing you soon Hunter.”

“Should I order you food?” Jen said flirtatiously.

“You know as well as I do, my trace is going to come up negative.”

“Ye of little faith.”

“Goodbye Emerald.”

“Bye-bye Andrew.” Jen shut off the phone and laughed. Her Alias, Emerald Hunter, was wanted by every police department across Australia. She was wanted by a few in Asia too. She knew the police were on their way to Ultimo because her phone transmitted from somewhere in that area.

Jen had never actually seen Detective Crane and he had never seen her. Crane was chasing the shadows when Jen had suddenly decided to leave her mobile number for him a few years ago. She had been scolded for such an irresponsible act, but she had never gone to bed regretting what she’d done.

Andrew Crane knew what she did. He knew why she did it. He actually believed her. But it was Cranes job to bring her in. It was better she knew what he was doing at all times, rather than guessing.

Jen sighed as she knew if it wasn’t for the fact that he was trying to arrest her, Andrew would’ve been an excellent acquaintance. Jen kept walking until she reached a small Turkish restaurant. Jennifer ordered what she wanted in Turkish and smiled. She knew five languages so far and was in the middle of learning Spanish.

The Turkish woman behind the counter started yelling off orders to her husband and Jen laughed to herself. Zeke, Tony and Saint walked in at that very moment.

“Hey Jenny!” Saint said excitedly.

“Oh crap.” Jen whispered. She was hoping to have a night for research. “Hey boys.”

“Oh crap?” Tony smirked. Jen blushed. “You shouldn’t whisper with me around.”

Jen smiled tiredly. “Sorry boys. I was just hoping to have a quiet night.”

 “Who said we were inviting you?” Zeke teased.

“I’ll invite her.” Saint said innocently. “I like when Jen hangs around.

Jennifer blushed more and the two older boys laughed. “What are you doing here?” Saint asked her.

“Buying food genius.” Tony replied for Jen while rolling his eyes.

“Saint?” Zeke passed his wallet to Saint. “Buy the usual.” He watched as the younger boy ran to the counter and started to order.

“So you made quiet an impression on Mysterious. He’s said more words this week than he’s said in the eight years I’ve know him.” Zeke laughed. “You’re getting me jealous.”

Jen leant back on the counter curiously. “Why doesn’t he talk?”

Tony shrugged. “We all have a story. It’s our choice whether to share it or not. Mysterious has never told us anything about his life. And anyway…” he smiled. “We’re loyal, we don’t tell others stories.”

A bell chimed and Jen ran to the counter to pay for her food. Tony and Zeke watched her as she came back. “What’s your story?” Zeke asked.

“What’s yours?” Jen countered.

“You don’t want to be depressed now, love.” Zeke looked at Tony. “But his is interesting and weird.” Zeke watched for a reaction from Jen and she realized Edmund must’ve told Zeke what she asked on the first day. When he realised he wasn’t getting one, he went on. “He enjoys telling it, don’t you Tony?”

“First off, is she a new member?” Tony asked Zeke.

“Sure she is.” Zeke shrugged. Jen was surprised by her easy acceptance into the group, but she hid it well. “Now talk Looney Toon.”

Jen sat down and waited.

“Well my story isn’t that long but it’s…odd. My dad was a drug dealer and my mum was an addict. They obviously combined well together. Mum got pregnant and had me. I suffered from withdrawal when I was one day old. Almost died from what I remember my mum telling me drunkenly one night, while laughing in hysterics as she recounted the tale.

“From when I was four they got me to go steal stuff for them. Things like food and drinks. Sometimes I was told to steal cash and then sent to buy them their drugs. When I got home I wasn’t allowed to eat anything. I only ate when I was on the brink of starvation but then I got smart and started stealing extra food and eating it on the way home. By the time I was ten my parents had split up and gotten back together six times but they always lived together. Always got high together.

“Then one day, when I was ten, it just stopped. We lived in an old dodgy one bedroom flat before I went to sleep that night.  I went to bed in the bare cupboard, with blankets I stole from the shared washing line. Then the next morning I woke up in a comfortable bed in a two storey mansion. My parents had respective jobs and food lined the pantry.

“My mum cooked for me, washed me up and drove me to school. She wasn’t even high. Dad read me a bedtime story and tucked me in. I was in heaven. Since that morning I was never beaten up again. I still stole and I got expelled from my last school for fighting but it was okay. My life became completely normal and I soon got used to it.” Tony frowned. “Sometime I think I imagined the bad life because Mum and Dad tell me I did but they insist so much that other times I think they’re lying.”

He paused as Jen frowned. “That’s it.”

“Encore, encore.” Zeke joked. “You really enthralled her.”

“No, no he did…” Jen nodded. “I’m just…thinking.” She had heard similar stories to his before except the world went to opposite way. From good to bad. “How… How do you know you didn’t just make it up in your mind? How do you know they’re lying?”

“Two reasons. One, whenever I bring up the topic, their eyes dart around uncontrollably as if they’re not telling me something. Two…” Tony pulled his shirtsleeve up to see his upper arm. Down the length of it was a thick white scar that had holes on either side where the stitched went it. “Before I fell asleep, the night before everything turned good, I remember… I remember my dad coming at me with a knife. I was being ‘bad’ so my father knifed me. They said the scar was from an accident but, I don’t believe that.”

“And now you just trust them?” Jen asked. “Even though you remember those things?”

“They’ve changed. I’ve forgiven them.”

Still intrigued, Jen blurted out, “Are you guys going to your house now?”

“Yeah.” Tony nodded enthusiastically. “My parents are absolutely amazing now. They let me do anything, within reason. These guys all think I’m crazy.”

“I love your parents.” Zeke said, smiling at Jen.

Saint came and joined them as Tony and Zeke grabbed the bags off him.

Zeke smiled. “You can come if you want. Mysterious has a thing for you.”

“I thought you said I wasn’t invited.” she joked, but really she was attempting to probe him for the reason of his sudden invitation.

It scared her that Zeke saw right through that. “You were always invited, Jen. I just like teasing just as much as you do.”

Jen wasn’t going to kid herself. If her instincts were right it could be dangerous. She felt deep down inside herself that there was something more Supernatural going on with Tony’s story that met the eye. “Let me just run home and grab my jacket.”

“Is your home close by?” Saint asked.

“Yeah. I’ll just run there now. Can you hold my food?” she passed the bag over to Zeke.

“Tony, go with her.” Zeke ordered.

“No!” she answered too loudly and quickly. Some people in the restaurant looked at her curiously.

“I’ll be right back anyway. I just live around the corner.” And with that Jen took off. She didn’t know why but a hunch told her that if she’d find something she needed at Tony’s house.

Two weeks ago Jen received a text message from one of her most trustworthy contacts, Jeremiah. Nothing detailed. It simply said: Blue Sky Academy; DOA in secret; GL ~ Jeremiah

DOA meant Dead on Arrival. In hunter terms DOA it could either mean the traditional thing or Demon of Ace.

Demon of Ace didn’t speak of a specific demon but of upper class demons. The Ace demons were smarter, more powerful than even the Kings, Queens and Jacks. They were never your average hunt and seeing as when nothing obviously unusual had gone on around the Blue Sky in the previous week, she knew this was a very skilled demon she was hunting.

A DOA in secret meant that you needed to go on major undercover work for the Demon would be well disguised. Most likely a Shape Shifter Demon rather than a Possessor Demon if the disguise was that good, although Possessor Demons were smarter.

GL simply meant good luck.

Jen unlocked the bin and jumped in. She roamed around blindly as night had fallen so she flicked on the nearest torch. “Crap, crap, crap.” she picked up her guitar case and carefully put it outside.

“Jen?” she heard Zeke call out her name. They must’ve followed her.

“Crap!” she muttered once more before hoisting herself up out of the bin. She grabbed the lid of the bin from the side and pushed it down.

“Jenny?” Saint called out. “Foods getting cold.”

“Shut up you idiot.” Tony hissed.

They came closer to her bin. She quickly locked it once more and picked her guitar case up. “I’m here.” She said rushing forward. But not fast enough.

When Zeke saw her he eyes the bin suspiciously. “Where’s your jacket?” he frowned.

“I-I…” she forgot about the jacket. “Meet me on the main road?”

Tony turned to leave but Zeke interrupted him. “We’ll wait right here actually.” Zeke stopped Tony mid step.

Saint looked interestedly between Jen and Zeke. Jen was more cautious of him and his keen eyesight more now than every. She bit her lip. “I’ll go without.”

“Get your jacket.” Zeke waited.

“I don’t have a jacket.” she said truthfully, as there was no actual jacket in her bin. “I just wanted to say goodbye to my mum.” she lied as she had no mother.

“Is that where you live?” Zeke pointed to the bin.

“Each to their own Zeke.” Tony muttered pointedly.

Saint looked at the bin interestedly. “How do you live in there? It’s locked.”

“I don’t live there.” she said and realized the boys weren’t going to stop their questioning glares. “I keep my guitar in there.” It wasn’t a complete lie. She always found manipulating the truth was better in the cases of those who were good and finding lies.

Zeke waved his hands and Tony and Saint stopped staring and started walking. Tony and Saint chatted animatedly about the night they had planned while Zeke and Jen fell behind a little once they reached the main road. “Jen, we’re, Tony, Saint, Greg, Angel, Mysterious and I, close.”

Jen’s ears perked up but she kept walking, clutching her case tighter. “We’re like our own little family. Each of us has a story. Tony told you his but none of us are that okay with sharing. I don’t personally care what yours is but if you lie I do. You’re cool. We like you…”

“It’s only been a week.” Jen laughed. She was nervous but covered it up excellently.

“Mysterious and I became best friends after two minutes and he didn’t even talk.” Zeke smiled.

Jen paused while Zeke watched her. “You said you don’t care if I don’t tell you my story. I don’t want to tell mine but that bin holds my story. It is my story. So I can’t talk about it.”

Zeke nodded. “Fair enough. But answer me this. You didn’t go to say goodbye to you mum did you?”

Jen frowned at his blunt honesty and excruciating possessive eyes. “I said goodbye to my mum many years ago.” And she left it at that.



© 2011 Bianca King


Author's Note

Bianca King
Editing pleaasee

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on May 16, 2011
Last Updated on May 16, 2011


Author

Bianca King
Bianca King

Australia



About
I am Aquarius. I don't know what that means. I write. I sing. I party. I never take myself too seriously. That's about it really. more..

Writing
Run Run

A Poem by Bianca King