Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Bianca King
"

Uneasy Memories

"

One week. Jen had attended this school for one week and there already were complications.

Edmund. He was too observant. He noticed everything and was too smart and strong, for Jen’s own good. He was also stuffing around with Jennifer’s hunting instincts and rules for life. She had no idea why or how though.

Then there was Zeke, Tony, Greg, Angel and Saint. Tony and Zeke especially had keen instincts, picking up on her lies and her cover ups. She had this off feeling too, that their ragtag bunch were in the middle of this case. She also felt that Saint had a big hand in the case too. A very big hand.

It was the first time in her life Jen wanted to fight her gut feeling. Jen had never had friends before, apart from Jeremiah and Chase, her hunting partners. But the way these new boys were treating her she wanted them to have nothing to do with her world.

The Arcadia’s were also a worry. They were demonic shape shifters posing as a PTA mum and businessman. It seemed okay with them being pacifists but they were demons. It went against Jen’s belief not to go back there and kill them.

She pulled the covers around her tighter. The bin, which she had attempted to make as comfortable as possible and was her safety net, now made her edgy. What she needed was a long relaxing shower but knew she would have to take a quick one when she broke into some ones house the next morning.

Jen fluffed her pillow and attempted to go to sleep. Maybe I should’ve just gotten a motel, she thought to herself. Getting questioned every five to ten minutes on where her parents were seemed like heaven compared to this.

Rain pattering outside was keeping her awake.

Edmund crossed her mind. He looked so scared when he hung up. Had something happened?

Jen unlocked the lid of the bin and jumped outside. The rain instantly soaked her as she sat on the lid of the bin so her stuff wouldn’t get wet. She needed to be outside. She needed the water to run over her and wash away everything.

“I can’t care.” she whispered. “I can’t care.”

However the rain made it worse. The rain made her remember. But she didn’t want to remember.

Lightening flashed and briefly she imagined she was back in the chrome seated care. Safe, warm.

“I’m in Enmore.” she whispered. “I’m sitting on my bin.” She was brought back to reality. Someone in the apartments above dropped a glass. The noise was heard by Jen. She was back in the car again. Someone threw a rock through the window. The driver swerved.

She twitched pulling herself out of that vision. “No more.” she begged to the sky. “Show me no more.”

But God wasn’t letting her off that easily. Someone near by stepped on gravel.

Crunch!

Her head was sent spinning into a memory.

Jennifer was five years old. Her Daddy was a hunter. Her Mummy was a witch. They were a force to be reckoned with. Jennifer also had a seventeen year old brother. They hunted. That’s all they did.

Paul Matheson watched his daughter snuggle up in her brothers arms. Rae Matheson smiled as her son rolled his eyes but begrudgingly let Jen lie on his lap. Eric Matheson simply stared out the window, one arm draped over his little sister and the other on his lap as he listened to his music.

They all were in silence. Not an uncomfortable one, but a tired one.

It had been a long day.

There was a flash of lightening outside and the sound came seconds later. Jen darted up in fright. Eric was attempting to calm her down. “Remember, the longer it takes for the sound to come, the further away it is. Count the seconds.” There was another flash of lightening and together with her brother, Jen counted to four before the noise came. “See, it isn’t scary Jenny.”

Eric smiled at her from above but just as he did, a stone smashed through the right window knocking Eric out.

Jen didn’t hear her mother scream as her father swerved off the road into a tree. Jen was launched from her seat just as Paul was but Rae caught her using magic, choosing daughter over husband in the final second.

A crunching noise was heard and something super strong jumped down onto the front of the car causing two massive dents to appear on the bonnet.

“Mum!” Jen called as the roof of the car was torn off with brute strength. The sickening crunching noise rang out through Jennifer’s ears.

Eric was yanked out of his seat, still unconscious, and hauled over the shoulder of the human like man with black eyes.

Jen was bent over holding her legs. She stood up and started running. Tears streamed down her face. Eric was dead. Paul was dead. Rae was gone.

She reached a Montague park. A small park in Stanmore. She fell beside the swings and stayed there until morning.

She cried.

******

A soft hand woke Jennifer up. She was soaked through, shivering. The rain was her enemy, friend and ally. She hated it when she was alone, loved it when she was hunting and feared and took comfort in it, at the same time, when she was hiding and running.

Jen grabbed the hand and swung around. “How’d you find me?” she croaked. Her throat was scratchy from crying in the rain and she knew if she didn’t get warm soon, she would probably freeze.

Edmund looked at her carefully. “I live behind this park. When I see homeless people I like to go and help.”

Jen nodded. “What time is it?”

“Eleven.”

“School started two and half hours ago!” she darted upwards but wavered on her feet, falling against Edmund.

“It’s Saturday.” Edmund held her against his body, trying to keep her upright.

“Oh.” Jen attempted to dust herself off and stand but she was failing. “Aren’t you going to ask why I’m asleep under a swing set?” she asked frowning. Last night he was angry at her and now she was angry with him. His voice was hypnotizing her again.

Edmund shrugged. “Only because you took one of my favourite sleeping spots.”

“I thought you said you lived…”

“Behind the park.” He looked behind him and then back at Jen. “Don’t think you’re the only homeless one at Blue Sky.”

“Oh. I’m not homeless.” she tried smiling but it wavered on her face. “My home is just not a house or apartment.”

“Box?”

“Bin.” Jen laughed but it turned into coughing fits.

“Ah.” Edmund grinned, hauling her closer. “I’ve got the play equipment.”

“You’re talkative.” she noted her teeth chattering slightly.

He looked to the ground his smile fading. She smiled. “Ed, I like it when you talk.” she said honestly.

“Really?” he said it more flirtatious than he meant but it was okay. Jen blushed frantically as Edmund looked around the empty park. “I forgive you for what you did to Saint. We all have secrets, you were just protecting yours.”

“Thanks.” They were standing awkwardly around the swing set. “May I ask why?”

Edmund shrugged. “I’ve done worse to keep mine.”

There was an awkward silence. Edmund studied her. “Your lips are blue. Why don’t I take you to someone’s house so you can have a hot shower and a nap?” Edmund offered.

“That’s okay…” she muttered. He grabbed her cold, prune-like hand with his gloved one. Jen bit her lip. A hot shower without breaking in sounded good.

Edmund just dragged her out of the park. “Can I at least grab some of my stuff from my bin?” she asked timidly.

He nodded. “Lead on.”

It was a cold wintry day and Jen shook unwillingly. She was also becoming more and more tired. Her joints were aching from the cold and a headache had begun pounding through her system. Edmund was wearing a long black coat, a shirt and dark blue jeans with his gloves. When he saw how cold she was he took of his coat and gave it to her. Then made her put on his gloves.

“You’ll get cold.” she argued stuttering wildly.

Edmund laughed. “Sure. You’re an ice cube with legs but I’ll get cold.” He forced them on her hands and did the buttons on the coat.

After reaching the bin Edmund nodded. “Impressive. You ordered it.”

“Yeah…” Jen frowned. “I have money. I just don’t mind living in a bin.” She attempted to open the lid but failed to do so out of weakness

Edmund leaned over her and opened it. “What do you want?”

“My backpack.” she leaned against the bin weakly. She slid down the side and onto the floor, not able to even keep her eyes open properly. But she was a fighter, so she fought. “Who’s are we going to?”

“Well everyone’s at Tony’s so we’ll go there.” He said whilst jumping into the bin. “Nice place.”

“I like it.” she shrugged. “Also bring my guitar case.”

Edmund threw the bag out and handed the guitar case to her. Jen pulled herself up with the case as support. When Edmund jumped back out he swung the back pack over his shoulder and picked up Jen’s guitar case. She stumbled slightly.

“Jen? Jen you okay?” Edmund said worriedly.

“Yeah I’m fine…” she mumbled.

He felt her skin. It was cold. Too cold. “Okay let’s get you to Tony’s fast.”

Jen nodded as Edmund picked up the case. He supported her as they walked down the main road out of fear that she’d collapse. Jen didn’t notice she was leaning so heavily on Edmund but he didn’t mind at all. They arrived at the Arcadia’s in silence.

When they reached the front door Edmund reached for the key in the pot plant next to the door and stepped inside. He led her into the living room where the boys were passed out from the night before.

Tony was asleep on the couch across from the TV, Saint had fallen asleep on the floor where someone had covered him and Angel and Greg were on the other two. Zeke was eating toast at the coffee table.

Jen heard Zeke and Edmund talking about her but couldn’t understand.

“What happened to her?” Zeke asked

“Let her rest.”

“Mysterious.” he said a little too loudly.

“Zekehill?” Maria came out. “What’s going on?”

“Sorry Mrs Arcadia.” Zeke sighed. “Edmund just came in with Jen.”

“Her lips are blue!” Maria rushed over but couldn’t touch her.

Edmund looked her over properly. He put the guitar case down and picked her up. “Hot bath?” he asked.

Maria hurried along to the bathroom upstairs with the spa. Edmund was just going to leave her with Maria but she stopped him. “I need you to take her necklace off. In fact…take all her jewellery off.”

Edmund frowned and looked at her questioningly. “I can’t explain Edmund. Please just do it.” Jen was on the tiled floor with Maria kneeling next to her. The spa was filling up with water and the room was filling up with steam.

Edmunds frown never left his face as he took of her necklace and bracelets. He watched as Maria closed her eyes to touch Jen. She couldn’t. Edmund had no idea why.

“Move her pants up so I can see her ankle.” Maria asked quietly. Edmund, confused as every lifted up both pant legs. On Jennifer’s right ankle was a tattoo in the shape of a star in a circle.

Edmund looked down in shock as he recognised the pattern. Maria closed her eyes. “Okay. You can go now.”

Edmund looked hesitant but Maria assured him. “Don’t worry. She’ll be fine.”

As soon as he left the bathroom Maria stood up and locked the door, briefly leaning on it. She opened up underneath the sink, pulled out a long green candle and blew on the wick. A flame appeared burning the white string. Maria stood over the tattoo. “Hunters pride.” she muttered before placing the flame right over the black ink embedded in Jen’s skin. She controlled the fire and Jen woke up in pain.

The green-eyed hunter yelled in pain. A banging noise was heard against the door as Jen continued yelling and crying. Maria held her telekinetically down, waiting for the tattoo to completely burn off.

“Jennifer!?” Edmund shouted banging the door Maria locked.

Feet bounding up the stairs were also heard along with Edmund’s continuos yells. The tattoo had burnt off. The magic had been broken.

Maria pulled Jennifer into her chest. “Shush sweetie. Please stop crying. It’s all right. It’s okay.”

Tony slammed the door down with Zeke as Maria telekinetically shoved the pant leg down and pushed the cool wet material against the burn. Jen hissed as the wound began to sting horribly.

She pushed her face into Maria’s chest, yelling into the fabric. Edmund pulled her out of Maria’s arms and pulled her into his shoulder. He looked at her fearfully, thinking the worse. “What happened?” he asked her panicked.

The pain, the cold, the weariness all hit her at once. Her head nestled in Edmund’s chest made her feel better though.

“Mum?” Tony asked shocked.

“The candle. It scared her.”

Edmund looked at Jen about to ask her if it was true but she had fallen unconscious again.

“Come on.” Zeke said. “Let’s go.”

Greg and Angel escorted the curious Saint downstairs while Zeke and Tony had to drag Edmund away.

Maria stared at Jen in regret.

******

Jen woke up in a bed. That was the first thing that was wrong. Secondly, it wasn’t even a hotel bed. It was too comfortable to be a hotel bed. Well at least too comfortable to be a bed in any hotel she would stay at. Thirdly her clothes were pyjamas. She just wore whatever she had from the night before to bed. So where did these pyjamas come from? Fourth and foremost, she had no idea how she had gotten there and had no idea who the person sitting with her was except for the fact he had black and red hair.

She stared at his hair for sometime and then memories started to come back to her. “Edmund?” she said uncertainly.

He was leaning on the door facing the hall but he spun around when he heard his name. “Good evening.” he smiled pulling a chair out from under the desk.

“Who, what, where, why, when and how?” she asked frowning.

Edmund smiled. “What do you remember last?”

She thought about it carefully. “Um… leaving Tony’s.” she muttered squinting. “And rain…and crying.”

“Well I was there for none of that.” he replied but then stopped. “Unless you’re referring to when I made you cry in this room last night.”

“What were you there for?” she asked, ignoring the last part.

“I found you soaking wet asleep in a park and I…”

“You took me to my bin.” Jen remembered a bit more. “So I could shower at Tony’s.”

“You do remember.” he smirked.

“Not much after that. Just seeing Zeke. I think that’s when I passed out.” she inwardly groaned. “I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t worry.” he watched her. “Maria cleaned you up.”

Jen frowned twitching her right ankle subconsciously. “Ow!” she gasped grabbing her ankle. It was tied up in a bandage. “What the…?”

“I don’t know. Maria just said it was sprained.” Now Edmund was watching her suspiciously. “She said it was sprained but when I was with you, you were walking fine.”

Jen was fuming. “Wait till I get my hands on that shape shifting little b***h.” she muttered under her breath.

“Pardon?”

“I’m going to have to thank her.” Jen smiled faking every second of it.

He pretended to ignore her and then asked, “Are you afraid of fire?”

“No.” she shook her head. “Why?”

Edmund looked satisfied with something. “Don’t worry.” He held his hand out to her. “Mrs. Arcadia cooked. Are you hungry?”

“A little.” she admitted.

“Come on.” He helped her out of bed. The pyjamas were just a grey tracksuit and an oversized jumper. Nothing embarrassing but she was half-sure they belonged to Tony.

Jen tried stepping on her right foot but it ached. Edmund was much taller than her, even with his slight slouch, so leaned down and helped her out. “Come on.” He pulled her along until they got to the stairs where he picked her up.

“You don’t have to.” she squirmed uncomfortably in his arms and tried thinking about Chase.

“This isn’t the first time I’ve carried you up and down the stairs today.” he smiled as Jen blushed.

“Well look what Mysterious dragged in.” Greg grinned when they reached the dining room.

“Jeez Jenny.” Angel wore a matching grin as Greg. “One week and you’ve already freaked us out.”

“Didn’t you freak us out in our first hour Angel?” Tony smirked.

Edmund put Jen down into her chair then pushed it in for her. “Are you feeling better Jennifer?” Antonio asked, as small smile on his face. “I heard you hurt your ankle.”

Jen resisted the urge to glare. “Apparently I did. I just wish I could remember what happened so I can kill whoever did it to me.” she smiled sweetly.

Maria looked down at her linguini smirking. “Maybe you did it to yourself by accident, dear.”

“Yeah, what if you just tripped?” Saint asked. “You can’t kill yourself.”

“Trust me. I don’t trip.” Jen looked at the large bowl of linguini pasta before her. She watched Edmund serve himself pasta and offer it to her. She poured some for herself and stared at the mushroom, onion and red sauce curiously. Her dining experience was limited to takeout joints, fast food and two minute noodles.

Edmund started eating and watched as Joe and Luke entertained everyone. Maria watched as Jen cautiously lifted the fork to her lips, chew and swallow. She was pleased when she saw the happy look on Jen’s face.

“So what happened to you?” Zeke asked.

“Zekehill.” Maria scorned lightly.

“Mamma.” Tony muttered.

“Someone has to teach you boys’ manners.” she frowned.

“I fell asleep staring at the stairs.” Jen lied quickly. “And I didn’t have house keys. So I could wake anyone up by midnight so like any respectable homeless person I fell asleep under a swing set.”

“Uhuh.” Zeke believed her to an extent.

Antonio smiled. “Well Jennifer you’re always welcome here to stay. Tony’s always awake.” he added nudging his son.

“More like Tony does nothing but sleep.” Greg laughed.

“Marcus? Are you going home tonight?” Maria asked.

Saint shrugged. “I probably should. Aunt Grace wants to see me at least once a week.”

“Greg? Angelos? What about you two?”

Greg nodded. “Yeah, we’re going home.”

“Sophie and Alicia get worried when we go missing.” Angel smirked talking about his thirty year old cousin and fourteen-year-old her daughter. “Even though I told them we were crashing here last night.”

Maria nodded. “Are you going home too Zekehill?”

Zeke nodded. “Yes ma’am I am. Tobias is coming home tonight.”

“Oh tell your brother he needs to look at my car!” Antonio butted in.

“I’ll tell him.” Zeke nodded.

“Edmund, how about you? Do you need a bed?” Maria smiled warmly.

Edmund shook his head politely. “You never stay over.” she complained.

He just shrugged.

“Hows your mother?”

Edmund made a signal with his hands.

“So-so? Well if you need anything…”

Edmund pointed at her and then made the sign ‘1’ with his index finger before pointing at his head.

“You’ll be the first to know.” Tony translated.

“Same goes to you Jennifer.” Antonio nodded at her.

Jen felt it again. Her instincts slipping away. Hunters kill demons. Demons aren’t supposed to offer her good food and a place to stay. They should’ve let her die from hypothermia. But looking around she saw Maria helping Joe cut up his linguini and Antonio discuss with Zeke, Tony and Greg the latest soccer match on television. No demons. Just loving parents.

The normality of all of it… it scared her.

Edmund slipped his hand under the table and squeezed her leg. Jen looked at him and couldn’t help but smile. “What?” she asked.

“Are you okay?” he whispered.

Jen nodded. “Yes. What about you?”

Edmund gave one of his smiles which never reached his eyes. “I’m fine. Just worried about you. Jen felt her heart beat speed up a little.

What the hell was this?

Why was she feeling so vulnerable?

What was she now going to do?



© 2011 Bianca King


Author's Note

Bianca King
Spelling? Grammar?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on May 16, 2011
Last Updated on May 16, 2011


Author

Bianca King
Bianca King

Australia



About
I am Aquarius. I don't know what that means. I write. I sing. I party. I never take myself too seriously. That's about it really. more..

Writing
Run Run

A Poem by Bianca King