Page 1 - Prologue

Page 1 - Prologue

A Chapter by Buried Planet

Prologue

I have already learned the true nature of this world; every single language spoken by all the miscreated, bid farewell to all those that I ever met, and just finished predicting most outcomes �" not bad for someone born only a day ago.

And now I must wait here for him, atop such a generous outcrop of stone; one so easily protruding from the most graceful display of running water. A creek, I think it is called, that much like me, seems to always be running but never getting anywhere. I cannot think of a better example of the flow of time and design working perfectly in tandem. Yet another sample of what can be expected in this world above, I suppose and hope; an example that for so long has dared to cross these woods that the one I am waiting for, sometimes calls his own.

He should be here any moment now; my inherited memories keep assuring me that he comes by this exact spot every day to make his crossing, and today will be no exception. He will come. He will come and he will find me; he will find me, and he will say:

"And who might you be?"

After I turned around, I was greeted with a weird-looking old figure, much more so than I was expecting, with an uneven pair of glasses barely hanging from his slightly twirled nose and a long set of grey hair cascading, knot after knot, from the top of his head. Several pieces of mismatched armour were strapped to his tall if a bit hunched, body. They had been collected over a long period of time and from all kinds of sources. His right hand held a solid piece of armament; he tried to disguise it as a walking stick, but it was most definitely a good weapon. A haversack hung from his other shoulder, it was half open and mostly filled with all sorts of plants and a few samples of fungi.

Then I noticed behind him followed a beast of burden; great of size and with quite the relaxed jaw hanging under its corpulent nose. And if all the satchels covering its blue and green skin were not enough to define its purpose, its mellow eyes surely did the trick. Also, between its massive shoulders and the middle of its curved back, rested a large, purple saddle. One that was just big enough for two.

"I was waiting for you," I steadily revealed to him.

"It would certainly seem that way." The old man replied quite unpreoccupied, "Please tell me then, how is it that I am fated to find a little one such as yourself out here, in the middle of these woods?" He asked as he began tying that beast to the nearest tree.

"I just said," I repeated without taking my eyes from all the papers I was holding, "that I came here to wait for you."

"Quite right." He stared at me for a moment, and then finally wetted his boots as he ventured into that running water to make his approach. He did so slowly and carefully, as to not frighten me, which caused me to smile in appreciation. 



© 2024 Buried Planet


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on February 9, 2024
Last Updated on February 18, 2024
Tags: fantasy


Author

Buried Planet
Buried Planet

Writing
Page 2 Page 2

A Chapter by Buried Planet


Page 3 Page 3

A Chapter by Buried Planet


Page 4 Page 4

A Chapter by Buried Planet