Chpt. 1

Chpt. 1

A Chapter by Broken Hearted Faux
"

You meet Lindsay and Alisa.

"

 

Vegas greet the windows with bright lights from street lights mixed into neon strip club logos. They flash on and off, a woman slowly lighting up. Casinos, massive and showy, radiate above most other buildings. My car speeds by.

Lindsay’s blue eyes glitter as she glances at me. “Wow.” Sucks in a breath. “This place is gorgeous. Can you believe we’re here, Alisa?”

I’m too focused on the busy streets to respond.

“Alisa…” She puckers her lips when I peek at her. She is not happy that I haven’t spoken in four hours. “Alisa, c’mon can’t you speak to me?”

I rub at my tired eyes, trying to be careful not to scratch them. And again, I do not reply. My mouth feels like sandpaper and my tongue rubs against my teeth. I wanna gag.

Reaching for a water bottle, the light turns green. I move our Honda jeep slowly behind a car up front. Lindsay gets my hint that I want something to drink, so she searches around her seat.

Unscrewing the lid to a water bottle, she wedges it between her thighs as she looks for another. I hear random shuffles of McDonald’s wrappers.

“Here.” She hands me the open bottle.

I guzzle half of it down, and then rest it in a cup holder beside me. “Thanks.”

Her smile is warm. “There’s that voice.”

I return the smile. “I’m sorry, but driving this long has got my mind focused on yellow lines and cars.”

She squeezes my thigh. “I’m driving us around tomorrow then. And dinner’s on me.”

I chuckle. “With what money?” My face is serious when I look at her.

Her lips pucker again, caught in thought. “Mine. Can’t I access my bank account down here?”

“Lindsay.” My voice is stern. “May I remind that you’ve sworn that you’d save that for emergencies?”

“But this is!” She outbursts. “What if you’re suffering from brain damage?”

“Lindsay, I’m fine. Rest is all I require.” I assure, but her blue eyes disagree.

The vehicle grows silent once more, and Lindsay rolls down the window. Her expression firms, growing more serious as I turn right.

Her eyes are focused, directed at people walking close to the street. Her gorgeous blonde hair whips softly at her face as the wind blows into the vehicles interior.

“It’s grown longer this year.” I point out, and park the jeep next to a few others in a motel’s parking lot. “Your hair.”

She takes it into her fingers. “Yes. I haven’t cut it yet.”

“I could.” I reach for my phone. “I’ll call Pryors to drop off some clothes.”

“You so sure?” Her eyes light up. “I was hoping a rented house.”

My brows crinkle in thought for a moment, before I smile at her. “What a brilliant idea.”

“I tend to get some in a week.” She blushes.

She excuses herself to the restroom as I lean against my door, dialing Pryors. His phone rings twice, and my fingers drum on the dash.

“Pryors.” He answers.

“Well finally.” I sigh. “Any way to get Lindsay and I a nice rented house?”

A pencil scratches against paper. “How nice we talking here, Alisa?”

“Something upgraded from an apartment?” I beg.

He sighs. “I’ll check. Give me an hour. I’ll call. Get some dinner.”

The line goes dead before I can reply. Cursing at the phone, I drop it on the dash. My head leans back, and I let my eyelids fall. Ton weights are on them.

Reality strikes me when Lindsay’s door shuts. My body jumps, and adrenaline is my coffee for the moment. Lindsay is smiling at me.

“You’re exhausted,” She drops to a frown. “Perhaps I should drive?”

I shove the keys into her awaiting hands. “Take them. I’m done.”

She guides me to the back seat. “I’m sorry, we don’t have a pillow.” She unzips her jacket and bundles it up. “Will this do?”

I yawn. “Perfect. Thank you.”

Her lips leave a gentle kiss to my forehead. “Rest easy.”

The world evaporates to darkness…

 

It is not long before Lindsay wakes me up to eat. I have gotten two, maybe three hours of sleep. She nudges me, face buried in my shoulder as she fights to wake me up.

“Not hungry.” I moan, rolling to face the cushions.

“But I’mma be eating all alone.”

“Sleep. I need it.”

“You can sleep when you’re dead.”

I meet her gaze. “I’m not ready to die. Though I’ll be a zombie if I don’t get any rest.”

“Well then, c’mon Zombie Girl.” She tugs on my arm.

I grunt and rise. Once Lindsay’s got her mind set on something, she won’t give up until she has her way. That is why I never try to argue with her. And the fact she’s my partner.

No. Not my wife or girlfriend, but my partner in our work. Reeves saw something in us and set us up together.

And trust me, we argued like a married couple the first few days. I ended up sleeping on the couch, and she got the bed.

Eventually we became best friends and didn’t mind to each having half of the bed, share the bathroom, and even live like we were sisters.

“Alisa?” Lindsay breaks my flash backs. “Hey, c’mon. I’m starving.”

I smile. “We ate like a few hours ago. You’re always hungry.”

“Am not.” She argues.

My point exactly…

“What was your last meal again?” I smirk. “Oh yes, you ate two half pounders, large fries, and a large drink.”

She blushes. “Hey, I have a large stomach, what can I say?”

“Just don’t make us broke.” My phone buzzes, and Lindsay hands it to me. “Fox.”

“I got your house, Alisa. Is Lindsay there?”

“Yeah. Here.” I smile to her. “It’s Pryors.”

“Oh. Kay.” She takes it.

They chat as we move outta the car. We’ve parked outside a Denny’s. I knew Lindsay would pick her favorite eat out.

“Carmella out.” She smiles and shuts the phone.

“So, what’s up?” I ask, opening the door with a yawn.

“Personal issues.” She ruffles my hair. “Wake up, Zombie.”

“Sleep.” I smile. “Zombie needs sleep.”

A screeching of tires our way catches our attention. We look to find a white car swerving sharply right. I throw myself in front of Lindsay the moment the window rolls open.

A mini Uzi is fired and pelting my chest. Luckily I wear a borrowed bullet proof vest from Pryor’s lab.  In a city like Vegas it’s great to be prepared.

One more Uzi comes from the back and tears up my right arm. Satisfied, the car drives off while still firing, a cop car following behind with sirens blaring.

“Alisa!” Lindsay grabs my chewed up arm. “Oh god. Forget dinner, we need medical help.” She flips open her phone, bloody fingers fumbling over the buttons.

My ears go numb and I cannot hear around me as I stare at my mangled arm. Some tendons have been ripped or warped, while some veins continue to gush risky amounts of my vital blood down the concrete to puddle. Some bullets still linger inside my flesh.

“Alisa.” Lindsay grabs my face. Reality returns. “Raise your arm, try to slow the flow. We’re heading to a nearby hospital. Pryors got us in.”

My tongue is too glued to the roof of my mouth to reply as she pushes my feet forward to the car, holding my arm up for me. Pain follows behind.

“You remember the plate?” She asks.

I nod. “Y-yes.” I force. “Nine, twen-”

“Save your breath.” She straps me in. “You can write it down after we get you to the hospital.”

“B-but, Lindsay. I-I-I remember now!” I argue, probably still recovering over from shock. “Really, my arm doesn’t hurt.” This is a lie.

“You’re lying.” She points out and jolts the car onto the streets. “Alisa? Alisa?!” She shouts as I close my eyes.

My skull feels like it shatters against the door frame. Every sound eliminates as my ears fail me. Eyes squeeze shut and everything goes black.



© 2011 Broken Hearted Faux


Author's Note

Broken Hearted Faux
I'd like comments before I write another chapter. Is it worthy to continue??

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't know why but the girl who got shot really reminds me of an ex of mine and I'm really glad she got shot - other than that I'm unhappy she isnt dead.

I like it though but the getting machinegunned in the middle of the street by a car that was followed immediatley by a police car and the friend reaction to the shooting seemed too cool - you know you'd think they'd panic a bit at least - but I thought it was very well written! keep it going I like.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

351 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 18, 2011
Last Updated on August 19, 2011


Author

Broken Hearted Faux
Broken Hearted Faux

Salt Lake City, UT



About
Hello, the name's Lexy I've been on and off from Writerscafe between life and inspiration. I was once a dedicated writer, always with a pencil in my hand and a notebook by my side no matter whe.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Broken Hearted Faux