Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Carolyn

I looked at the clock, 12:45pm . My lunch had been placed in front of me 15 minutes ago. I studied the mixture of colours, red, yellow, white and brown. The sweet smell filled my nose, my stomach rumbled. I held it hoping to quiet the sound. “What is it again?” I asked my nutritionist. “Peanut butter and jam sandwiches,” 810 calories, that’s 810 too many. I took a deep breath, how did I end up here? Why did I end up here?
My stomach groaned, my therapist quickly scribbled something down. I had not realised that she had entered my new home aka the hospital. I looked at the clock again, 1pm. Cindy, my nutritionist checked her phone, she looked bored and annoyed. Karli, my therapist was still taking notes. Maybe if I just refused to eat maybe they would just leave, my stomach let out another growl. Karli looked up, “aren’t you hungry?” Am I hungry? You have no idea! Starving, ravenous, famishing, starved, unfilled, you name it! Of course I wouldn’t be craving food so bad if it wasn’t for this morning.
At 8am sharp the nurse brought in my breakfast. Cereal with toast covered in butter and jam. Altogether there was approximately 413 calories placed on my tray waiting expectantly to be eaten. One of the better breakfasts I suppose, but compared to my strict 200 calorie diet, it was still too much. “Can I have a drink of water please?” I asked cautiously, most of the time the answer will be no but if you get the right nurse they will be lenient. “Sure sweetie, but you still have to eat all of it. Got it?” I nodded as she walked out of the room. She must be new, the older nurses who have had patients like me know that we can be very deceiving. I didn’t have much time. I picked up the spoon and began to quickly scoop  out the cereal and place it in a plastic bag carefully concealed by my jacket. 1 teaspoon, 2 teaspoons, 3 teaspoons,  I could hear her footsteps. I quickly zipped up my jacket and wiped the spoon clean with a tissue. “Here you go,” the nurse said as she placed my drink on the tray cluttered with food. I smiled innocently and took a sip. “So how long have you been working here?” I asked trying to distract her from her job. “This is my second shift, and you better hurry before it goes soggy and the toast becomes cold.” I gave the remaining cereal a stir. I cringed as I heard the milk splash against the sides of the bowl. I picked up the spoon for the second time that morning and scooped up some cereal. I can do this. I can do this. I quickly shoved the spoon into my mouth and swallowed. I could feel it going into my stomach. I carried on each spoonful filled with fat. “Done,” I breathed a sigh of relief and disgust. “Now you just have the toast life.”  I looked at her startled, she nodded. I felt so sick, I looked at the toast and reached for the bucket beside my bed. The nurse immediately stood up and came to my aid. “It’s alright sweetie,” she comforted as she rubbed my back. Although I felt like I was going to be sick my breakfast managed to stay down. The nurse took my tray away and helped me get back into bed.  “Someone will be here soon with your morning tea.” I rolled over and faced the wall. As soon as I was sure that the nurse had gone I quickly unzipped my jacket and took out the wet, cold plastic bag. I had no clue what to do with it, I couldn’t put it in the bin that would only cause more trouble. Think Emma think. I zipped the plastic bag back into my jacked and made my way to the bathroom. Once I was n I quickly locked the doors and poured the cereal into the toilet. I flushed it once it was all in. I covered the plastic bag in toilet paper and placed it into the bin provided. I breathed sigh of relief. What did I do to deserve this? Why couldn’t they just leave me alone?
“Emma, Emma?” Karli’s voice interrupted my thoughts.
“I’m sorry, what did you say?” I asked again politely.
“I said, aren’t you hungry?” I stared at her and replied,
“no.” That was a lie, Karli didn’t believe me. “I’m not!” I insisted, “why don’t you believe me?” My stomach groaned demanding I tell them the truth.
“Well it doesn’t matter if you’re hungry or not, the fact is you need to eat. If you don’t you won’t survive.” I eat to live, I don’t live to eat. I carefully picked up the fat filled sandwich, Karli looked pleased with herself. I took a deep breath and took a bite. I forgot how nice a PB and J tasted. The smell filled my nose and I fell in love with the flavour all over again. Karli looked like all her Christmas’ had come at once. ‘You stupid fat cow!’ I stopped chewing. ‘Have you got no self control?’ immediately I realise what I had done and reached for the bucket. Karli’s face dropped as I began to empty the contents of my stomach.

 



© 2011 Carolyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I must admit, this is not really a kind of story which interests me. Even so, the writer has managed to make a story out of seemingly ordinary events and situations. The pace of this narrative seems fine, although it would be better presented in proper paragraphs (for example). On a less serious note, I suspect that many readers of this chapter, have also had dire experiences in hospitals (particularly the cuisine)! Also, we must not forget that our Mothers are often the greatest nurses - when we are back at home! A quirky and amusing piece, "Crunchy"!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow! What a trick Emma do! Putting it all in a plastc bag?! Better not let the nurse reads it, or they will check your jacket! HA! That's fun! I love it as well! I love Emma, although it seems kinda weird? She didnt eat at all! OK, I do love Karli as well, sort of forcing her to eat up the sandwitch with fat! Nice Job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


haha I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though I've already read it :P I still read it twice XD I love the way the therapist is. I hate her :P but I LOVE to hate her :D
Next please :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


speaks louder than yer age, youngblood. The specific calorie counts are indicative to the issue and really press the importance of the disease and even, at some points, infuraite the reader kicking the little reader voice screaming STOP counting. Nice touch.
The momentary jubilation at the end and the immediate call of the ugly voice "fat cow"ing you up and down was a nice twist cuz lets face it, no problem of that magnitude is taken care of in 700 words.

only tips?
don't aka the hospital. don't tell so much. Write for you, not to spoonfeed us. we'll be here to read.
same with "distract her from her job." We know it, she knows it, you know it. Leave it out and let deeper description push this little ditty along.

Good on ya
let's see what's next yeah?

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

345 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 3, 2011
Last Updated on January 3, 2011


Author

Carolyn
Carolyn

Gracemere, Australia



About
So I'm now turning 16 in 7 days! I love to write, its how I express how I am truly feeling, however I do get huge writers block. I also have a bad habit of never finishing what I write as you can see.. more..

Writing
Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Carolyn


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Carolyn


Chapter Four Chapter Four

A Chapter by Carolyn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..