Chapter One: Caleb finds Alter Ego

Chapter One: Caleb finds Alter Ego

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

Chapter One: Caleb finds Alter Ego

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer


Nana rocked her angel in the chair. They had just finished lunch, and a great story about Cactus Slim and a glass of chocolate milk was called for. Caleb took off in a flash, he pushed a kitchen chair up to the counter and climbed up for his Nestles Quick. In his mind the cabinets faded away, and the Wild West with a mean west wind waxed over the kitchen and rocky cuesta spread out before him.  .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .            .        .

 

The sun rose hard and fast, stealing every drop of moisture from the sky. The sand glistened like a sea of diamonds, and the heat glided over the earth like a thousand snakes. The ill-tempered wind was no friend, only adding to their misery. Slim's pony Pecos, faithfully trotted forward. His pony seemed to know they had to find those lost calves. Even though he was exhausted from the day he just kept moving. The only good thing about the wind was the coating of dust it gave, like a long-sleeve shirt, which kept some of the sun away.

 

Slim thought back how his mother didn't want him to go on this search.

 

“Maybe you should wait for father?” Her voice was sweet and soft.

 

“Don’t be silly this is what cowboys do.” He boasted as she stood on the front steps, while Pecos Bill, trotted him away.

 

 A short time later the wind began to howl, the noise drowned out everything except the rumbling in his stomach which seemed louder than the willful wind. Slim found a curious place to stop. “You wait here, my old friend.” He said as he tied Pecos to an old dead tree.

 

He ascended the Cliffside for a better overview of the land. Rocks and sand as far as the eye could see. No calves down there, not to the left, not to the right. He could only hope that nightfall would come quickly giving the two of them much-needed shade.

 

From the corner of his eye, he saw a tall cactus and a small opening behind it. A hidey hole a perfect place for two little babies to nap. Slim drew his sidearm; pushed back his hat, and barreled in. The cave seemed to go on forever. To his delight, the twin calves laid on the cool earth. He sat down beside them.

 

“Look at me! I’m covered in dust and burnt to a crisp, and I’m starved, because of the two of you.” He scolded as he carried them down one at a time. He tied the two behind Pecos, and they began the journey home.

 
..........................................................................
Just then Nana whisked her little Cactus Slim from her countertop. The two of them made an extra tall glass of chocolate milk and colored awhile.



© 2020 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
any comment are welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Phew.. I was struggling to find summat of yorn that I have not previously left my mark upon... glad I eventually found this.. and truly...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I made an entire series of these for my grandson Caleb.
Neville

5 Years Ago

Lucky guy.. shall investigate ...
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MD
good work enjoy it very much

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 21, 2009
Last Updated on August 19, 2020
Previous Versions


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing