Chapter Seven: Did You Shake My House

Chapter Seven: Did You Shake My House

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer
"

My eighty-seven year old grandma now has alzheimer's and for two full weeks she would tell us about a snake and or a bear that would shake her house. This is my take and that story.

"

Well, something shook me from my sleep. It shook me from my bed. It tipped my glass of water, which almost soaked my head! I leaned to my window and let me tell you what. Knotted around my Black Walnut Tree the biggest darn snake you ever did see. He stretched from that tree all the way across my drive.
 
Why just the sight of him, shook me to my core. I leaned out my window and much to my surprise he introduced himself to me. The snake’s name was Clive. Clive, the Great and Mighty Circus Snake from down Texas way.
 
"Howdy Mam." The snake proclaimed.
 
Well, I drew my curtains quickly. As I ran to my phone, I called Cactus Slim. Hoping my brave boy would make quick work of him. Now how Caleb earned the name of Cactus Slim is a story better told at another time, so let me now continue with our story about Clive.
 
Slim came riding up in a blaze. Oh, how the dust did fly, his lariat whirling overhead. Our boy Slim spoke not a word. Quick as a flash, He roped Clive’s head, and the tug of war of the century was now at hand.
 
The fight raged on all through the day it raged on all through the night. While Grandma Neil called every single living soul in sight. She told them one, she told them all. How Clive the mighty circus snake shook her bedroom wall. He shook the walnuts from the tree and the pictures from the hall. Why if it hadn’t been for Cactus Slim, Clive might have brought down all four walls.
 
Now the sun had set, and again was on the rise, and Cactus Slim was still trying to wrangle Clive. When Clive raised his head, and lowered his tail, and asked our boy Slim:
 
"Please let go of my tail. I’m only looking for Winston, our wondrous circus bear. He does not like the woods. He does not like the dark. He is a city bear, who does not even like the park! His cage was left behind, and Winston roamed away. Please help me find him before we lose another day!"
 
Now Slim was all excited and had worked up a mighty thirst he offered Clive a cola, and they began to converse. Soon the two would ride away to find the circus bear. So Grandma Neil waved them on and once they were out of sight. Winston, the Wondrous Circus bear, shook the house with all his might.



© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
any comments are welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

As silly as this story is, it is one of my favorites. It makes me smile as I remember all the wonderful stories my Grandma read to us over the years, and her calling us on the phone to tell of the snake and bear.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
1 Review
Added on April 24, 2009
Last Updated on February 8, 2019
Previous Versions


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing