Chapter TWO: Cactus Slim Tames The Ghost Maker

Chapter TWO: Cactus Slim Tames The Ghost Maker

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

  Shaken from his dreams by Jake, the rooster, Slim was heading to town before the sun was good and set. Upon arriving, he began to see several posters. They were posted here and there all stating a $50.00 gold piece to the cowboy who could ride the great gray stud named the Ghost Maker: Meanest horse south of the Red River.


     A cowboy was standing by each post of the coral and two more to fill in each gap. Heck, there might have been more cowboys on that fence than nails in it. One by one they walked into the arena. Each stood straight and sure just like the letter "T." One by one they were helped out looking more like the letter "C." This went on all day.


     There were all types old and young, tall and short. The common denominator was Ghost Maker laid them all out. Slim stayed by the coral all day long, come nightfall he bedded down. The livery stable had a nice size holding pen and on the other side of the bucking arena was a fenced off pond. Come sunrise Slim had a plan. Still a boy himself he wanted that gold piece and maybe a little cowboy fame to go with.


     The coral had a turnout shut that released animals to the pond area. He had them load the gray just there. His hat disappeared as he climbed down the wall to sit the beast. Spurs in place, hand sit just so. Every inch of his being balanced to prevent the throw. The horse was breathing hard, and his hot breath was carried in the air. His feet danced in place. His head quivered and ears twitched. One or maybe even more nerve-rattling groans bellowed up from the belly of the beast. Not even one ounce of hay had he received today, and breakfast would be had once this flea of a man was set to his feet. A shiver ran down his spine setting a cloud of dust into the air. As our boy Slim pulled low his hat. Spouting "Set him loose." Into the pond area, he flew. All four feet set to air with his hindquarter ever rising as he powered up. He started this show with a headstand of sorts. Then he came about hard and fast to a stop. Pulling his front feet in. Why he stood up better than the last ten men, who had given him a whirl.


      A whirl is what he did next, doing a 360° at best. Our boy Cactus Slim was stuck tight to him. He yanked the reins a tug to the East. Spurred him well, as he took to all four feet. Into the water, the battle raged. Splashes rose to heaven. For a second I thought Moses was in the pond. Cowboys cheered Oh Slim. Just a little further they charged as the water drank them in. The crowd grew quiet as nothing of them could be seen. The pond let out a belch, and the water’s rumbles ceased. It grew quieter still as Slim trotted Ghost Maker to his breakfast bale of hay. Nothing else was said as Slim road away. But, far and wide he was famed as the wrangler who had tamed, Ghost Maker.
 

    



© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
any comments are welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ron
Cactus Slim must be so glad Cherrie has a soft spot for him otherwise she would have had him trampled to pulp beneath the horse's hoofs. More graphic cowboy scenes from CP. By the time I finished reading this dust was caked in my nose and I breathed Cowboy air. Charming descriptive work!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ron
Cactus Slim must be so glad Cherrie has a soft spot for him otherwise she would have had him trampled to pulp beneath the horse's hoofs. More graphic cowboy scenes from CP. By the time I finished reading this dust was caked in my nose and I breathed Cowboy air. Charming descriptive work!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 21, 2009
Last Updated on February 7, 2019
Previous Versions


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing