Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Jordan Cattell

 

Chapter 2
 
I opened my eyes, I was laying in a hospital bed. The crisp, white sheets covering me. I was relaxed and a bit drowsy, my body was warm. The first person I saw was Nikki, then my parents. I extended my arm to Nikki, she took my hand in hers. She spoke softly to me.
“You’re ok, that guy that punched you knocked you out clean. The doctors had to scan your brain in case you bleeding inside your brain. Scans came back an hour ago, you’re ok.” My parents moved closer to my bedside, my Mum kissed me on the cheek.
“I’m glad your ok son.” My Dad stood close to my Mother.
“You’ll be fine, it’s not that serious.” He reassured me. Nikki was still holding my hand, her hand was so warm and soft compared to mine. I was told that I had been unconscious for about four hours. When the guy hit me, he walked off, but Nikki called for help. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. The doctors had to be sure that my head was not damaged.
     Two hours after I woke up, I was released from the hospital. The doctors said that I should just carry on as normal, that I was perfectly fine. My parents drove me and Nikki home. Once we stopped outside Nikki’s house, I spoke to my parents.
“I’m staying with Nikki, I’ll see you back home later.” Me and Nikki climbed out of the car and we both said goodbye to my Mum and Dad. They said goodbye back and drove off. Nikki took my arm and led me into her house. Once she closed the front door, she quickly threw her arms around me.
“I’m so glad your ok. I was so scared when that guy hit you. I love you.” She whispered in my ear. 
“I love you too.” I whispered back. At that moment, Nikki’s Dad stumbled in from the kitchen, drunk, and just about to grasp a bottle of whiskey in his right hand.
“Where the hell have you been?” He said, his speech slightly slurred. Nikki looked slightly frightened.
“To the hospital, Nick got hurt.” She told her Dad, shifting her head towards me as she spoke. Her Dad started to approach us, nearly falling over a few times. Nikki suddenly grabbed my arm and moved closer to me. I just stood there observing her Father, I was calm but Nikki was still clinging on to me. Her Father was now face-to-face with us. Now I could see that he was very drunk, his eyes looking drowsy. He spoke, breath smelling of strong alcohol.
“This boy is no good for you!” He stared at me even though he was talking to Nikki. I just stood there, looking at him. Nikki was still holding on to me, something was wrong with her. I would ask her later.
“Yeah well, he is my closest friend and he always be.” She said softly to her Father. When Nikki said this her Father’s eyes narrowed, he was still looking at me. I knew he despised me.
“He’s no good for you, you w***e!” He roared. He threw his bottle of whiskey across the hallway, it hit the wall and smashed. Glass fragments shining in the light like ice, whiskey running down the walls and forming a puddle on the floor. Now Nikki was very frightened, I turned my head to look at her, she was shaking, her eyes starting to fill with tears.
“Dad, don’t do this!” She squealed. I gave her a hug and stroked her hair.
“Let go of her!” Her Dad shouted. He advanced on me. I let go of Nikki, her Dad threw a punch, I ducked. At that moment Nikki moved behind me trying to push me out of the way but her Dad missed me but instead punched Nikki. She dropped to the floor. I punched her Dad and he stumbled backwards and fell over a side table that was against the wall. Before he had a chance to get up, I grabbed Nikki and we both ran out of the house. I slammed the door shut and we both ran out of the gate and down the street. We kept running until Nikki started to fall behind, she stopped by some hedges that led to a cul-de-sac. I ran a few steps back towards her.
“Come on.” I said, panting slightly. I tugged on her arm and she found some energy and we started again. I decided we should go to my house, me and my parents would keep her safe.
     I burst open my front door and dragged Nikki inside. I slammed the door just as my Mum came out of the kitchen. She stared at us blankly.
“What the hell is going on?” She asked, some shock in her tone. Me and Nikki were both panting heavily. I looked at her and I realised she was bleeding, quite a lot.
“Her Dad attacked us!” I told my Mother. My Mother rushed to us, she saw Nikki’s nose and took her into the kitchen. I went to the living room and sat on the cream coloured sofa that rested against the back wall. The television standing in front of the sofa. I heard a short gasp from the kitchen. I got up and went to check it out. I saw Nikki with a bowl of liquid, dabbing it on her face with a cloth. My Mother was supervising her. Nikki took the cloth from her face, I saw that it was covered in blood. I went to her and gave her a hug, she rested her head on my shoulder, my Mother left, probably to leave us alone.
     That day was 16 years ago. Since then a lot of things happened. Some good, some bad. For a start, Nikki told me she was being beaten by her Dad, mostly on her body, not on her face. She said that she had been hit in the face only once or twice and when that happened, she covered the bruises with make-up. Nikki’s Mother was always out of the house when Nikki was abused and Nikki could not tell her Mother because she would not believe her. The tables turned, at one time, her Mother walked in as Nikki received a blow to the gut. Her Mother believed her now, her Dad was called a drunk. Nikki’s Mother called the police and her Dad was arrested, her Mother divorced her Dad and even testified against him in court. Nikki couldn’t testify, but her Mother’s evidence was good enough. The judge spoke to Nikki‘s Father.
“You have no right to be a father, you destroyed your own marriage and betrayed your daughters trust.” The jury found Mr. Denley guilty and he was sentenced to prison for 16 years for child abuse and violent behaviour. A few months after her Dad’s prison sentenced was handed down, Nikki celebrated her 16th birthday, I threw a surprise party for her at my house, making the excuse of needing help with my English Literature coursework, so she would come to my house with me. We walked through my front door.
“What exactly do you need help with?” Nikki asked, just as everyone jumped out. She stumbled back in fright until she realised what was going on. She was painting slightly.
“You git.” She said and hit me playfully on the shoulder.
     The party was very entertaining and was over way to fast, you know what they say, ‘Time flies when your having fun.’ There was about 20 people that attended Nikki’s party. My parents were there, Nikki’s Mum, relatives of Nikki’s and a few friend from school. After they had dispersed and made their way home, me, Nikki, my parents and Nikki’s Mother were left to clean up what the party had left behind. There was quite a lot of mess, burst balloons littered the floor, someone had dropped some cake in the living room, confetti and popper leftovers and glitter lay scattered on the floor. I did not mind cleaning up because I was just so glad that the party was a good time for Nikki. During the party, I patrolled the house talking to people and every time I saw Nikki, she always had a big smile on her face and it made her look quite radiant, I noticed that a few boys from school were eyeing her. As long as she is happy though, I didn’t mind at all. Clean up took just over an hour, once we had finished, I collapsed on the sofa, trying to catch my breath. Nikki strolled out of the kitchen and come to sit next to me. I looked at her, she gave me a small smile.
“Thank you, thanks for being such a true friend, I love you.” She said. I said nothing, I just nodded my head as she spoke.
     Two months after that, I celebrated my 16th birthday, I expected that Nikki would like to repay me for her party. My expectations were correct. Obviously Nikki did not pretend she wanted me to help her with her coursework, that would be silly as I would know straight away what she was up to. So she was open about the party she was planning for me. My party was just as great as hers, and mostly the same people attended, obviously my relatives were there instead of hers. I enjoyed myself immensely, I loved my birthday party. After it was over, I went over to Nikki who was cleaning up a spilt drink on the kitchen side. She stopped when she noticed me and looked into my eyes. I took her head in my hands and kissed her forehead. “Thanks Nikki, your wonderful. I love you too.” I whispered to her, she looked at me, her face slightly puzzled.
“I love you too?” She recited.
“At your party you said ‘I love you,’ now I’m saying it back.” I replied. Her confused face eased slightly, she still looked confused but she passed it off and carried on wiping the spilled drink up. After we cleaned up, we left my house and I started to walk her home. About half way through the walk, she suddenly halted, I carried on walking for a moment before I realised that she was no longer next to me. I turned and saw her staring at the floor, I walked back to her.
“What’s wrong?” I asked her. She looked at me, I saw her eyes fill with tears slightly. She did not reply, and now tears started to escape from her eyes and run down her face. I wiped a tear that was on her chin then I gave her a hug, she silently cried on my shoulder.
“What is wrong?” I asked again, my voice slightly hushed. Now she answered me, her arms still around me as she spoke.
“It’s just that, when I go home, I think of bad things that has happened in that house. I don’t feel safe there. I’m so scared of that house. I only ever feel safe when I’m with you.” I was still holding her, I felt some slight wetness on my shoulder, I didn’t bother me though. I released her, her eye liner smudged, running down her face like the tears.
“What do you want to do then?” I asked her. She stopped crying slightly. “I want to stay with you.” She replied, her voice quivering slightly. I embraced her again, massaging the back of her head with my left hand.
“Ok, ok.” I whispered. I took her back to my house, I knew my parents would understand but I was concerned about how her Mother would take it.
     Nikki stayed with me for five days before her Mother finally knocked on the door. My Mother agreed to let her stay and Nikki’s Mum was notified, but she thought it was just for a few nights. I opened the front door and greeted Mrs. Denley, she said hello and came inside. Nikki approached her Mother and gave her a hug. Her Mother was happy to she her but at the same time, seemed frustrated with her daughter. Once Nikki released her Mother she spoke, “Hi Mum,” she said.
“Hi. Nikki, how long are you planning to stay here?” Mrs. Denley replied in a bit of a rude tone. Nikki was slightly taken aback and I was quite offended. At this point, my Mother came from the kitchen, a tea towel in her hand.
“Oh, hello Kendra.” She said referring to Mrs. Denley. I had never known Mrs. Denley’s Christian name, though it had never occurred to me to find out. Mrs. Denley looked at my Mother.
“Hi, Sally.” Mrs. Denley replied to my Mother and returned her gaze to her daughter.
“So? Do I get an answer to my question?” Mrs. Denley asked. Nikki looked at me, I think she wanted me to intervene. After a few moments, she turned back to her Mother.
“I don’t know.” Nikki replied. It was my Mother who intervened.
“What is the question?” Mrs. Denley gave my Mother a nasty look. My Mother looked shocked, she returned to the kitchen, I thought Nikki and her Mother should be alone, so I followed my Mother into the kitchen. As soon as we were out of earshot of Mrs. Denley, my Mother leaned closer to me. “What’s going on out there?” She asked. I picked up another tea towel and started wiping a washed bowl.
“Mrs. Denley wants to know how long Nikki wants to stay here, but she said in an offensive way.” I answered my Mother. A look of slight anger fell upon my Mothers face.
“I think her Mother is having problems though, what with her Dad being put in prison.” I added quickly, trying to cool my Mothers anger down. I continued to dry the bowl when I suddenly heard Nikki shouting.
“Mum, please don’t do this again!” I hastily placed the bowl on the kitchen side and went back into the hall to see what the problem was. My Mother threw down her tea towel and followed me out of the kitchen. I saw Mrs. Denley’s face turn a deep red.
“You must come home now!” She screamed at her daughter. “No. I won’t” Nikki wailed. Both of them had not noticed me and my Mothers entrance. I thought about intervening but I decided against it, a decision that I would come to regret. Mrs. Denley raised a hand and slapped her daughter.
“How dare you? How dare you contradict me?” Mrs. Denley shouted, her face still red. Nikki now was crying heavily, her left hand pressed against her cheek where her Mother had slapped her. Now I decided to get involved and my Mother backed me up. I stood between Nikki and her Mother, facing Nikki. My Mother took Mrs. Denley by her arm and escorted her out the front door. Mrs. Denley refused to be took out.
“NO! My daughter is coming with me!” She bellowed. I comforted Nikki while my Mother tried to reason with Mrs. Denley,
“Kendra, leave, we will sort this out another time. I’m sorry but I can’t have you behaving like that in my house whilst my son is here. Your head is not in the right place right now.” Mrs. Denley saw sense and decided it is a battle worth saving for later. I turned my head to see Mrs. Denley exiting the house, she walked down the front path and out of the gate.
     I took Nikki to my room to talk to her properly. Once we got into my room, she immediately sat down on the end of my bed. I walked over to my bed and sat next to her. I stared at her, then without warning, she put her head in her hands and started uncontrollably sobbing. I put my arm around her shoulders. “Hey, hey, hey. It’ll be alright, don’t worry too much, you know you can stay with me as long as you want.” I said to her, trying to comfort her. She managed to control herself, she looked up at me, her make-up running down her face again. I brushed back some of her hair that was in her mouth, she smiled at me slightly.
“I’ve got something to tell you.” She told me, her smile fading, my arm still on her shoulder.
“What is it?” I asked.
“I don’t think it will be alright.” Nikki replied.
“Why not?” I asked, my voice calm.
“My Mum’s been drinking heavily lately, she’s started to lose herself. I think she has just given up. She’s struggling to pay the bills, especially because all the money that is spent on booze. I don’t think she will be herself again.” Nikki explained. I hugged her, smelling her sweet hair, she locked her arms around my back, holding me tight. I got the impression that she didn’t want to let me go. That we would remain glued together forever, our limbs interlocked. I began to release my arms but she remained glued to my chest so I locked my arms again.
     We sat there for about another minute before she let me go. To improve her mood I decided to put on a film, she laid on my bed, I looked at the clock on my side table, it was 9.30 at night. I turned off the lights and laid on my bed next to Nikki, with only the light that emanated from the television. She lie there, her head on my chest and a few minutes later, we were both asleep on my bed, the film still running.
 
 
 
 
 


© 2008 Jordan Cattell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
Added on October 1, 2008


Author

Jordan Cattell
Jordan Cattell

Northampton, United Kingdom



About
Aged 16, born in Northamptonshire, England, March 18th 1992. Enjoy many things such as writing, movies, music, theatre, poker, science. more..

Writing
Alone Alone

A Poem by Jordan Cattell