Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Jordan Cattell

 

Chapter 6
 
Two months passed. Nikki had decided what she wanted to do next, she wanted to go to law school. She wanted to be a lawyer. But I was still having trouble. I had had a few ideas but they had soon been extinguished. I had thought of becoming a carpenter, a mechanic, a police officer, a teacher and a stock broker. Then miraculously I had a brainwave one day. I thought about going into a medical profession. I had the grades, so why not?
     A week after I had this idea, I finally decided. I wanted to be a surgeon. So I had done some research. I had to apply to medical school. So I found one close to home, about six miles away. I had told my Mother and Nikki what decision I had reached.
     The next day I had applied to a local college. I wanted to get some A Levels before I tried to go to medical school. I had received a letter from that college three days after I had submitted my application. It told me that I had to wait two weeks before I was told if my application had been accepted or rejected. Nikki had applied straight for law school and had been informed that it would take a month to process her application.
     Those two weeks went by slowly and painfully as I waited for my college reply. I felt like a kid waiting for a Christmas present when it was only October. Eventually my agonising wait was over and one Friday morning, a letter came through the letter box and dropped lightly onto the floor. I came scrambling out of the kitchen and ran towards the letter slipping on the floor. I got to my feet quickly, uninjured and I scooped the letter from the floor. I went back into the kitchen. I was alone in the house at the time. My Mother was out shopping and Nikki was out with some other friends. So I was either going to celebrate on my own or be disappointed on my own. I sat down on a kitchen chair and ripped open the letter, my heart racing. Then I read through the letter. My heart rate increasing every second. Then I was over come by strong emotion, I had been accepted!
I did not believe it, it was like I had just found out I was a millionaire.
     Once my Mother was home, I told her about the fantastic news that I had received. She was over the moon, she had always been supported, especially since the death of my Father. Sometimes I heard her talking about my Dad to Nikki, who was just as happy about the news I had. Nikki gave me a full kiss and a hug. Later that day, my Mother decided to take us both out to dinner to properly celebrate. I had ribs in barbeque sauce and for dessert I had hot apple pie with custard. It was a lovely meal. It tickled my taste buds. Now it kicked in, my life was getting serious, no more playing with little toy cars or running around playing cops and robbers. Basically no more childlike freedom.
     Two months later I started college and Nikki had been accepted into law school, she had celebrated with her own Mother who lately had been quite low. Her Mother was just as happy as my Mother, although that was the impression she gave me. I remember when I arrived at college, I felt slightly uneasy. I was in the dorms, so I had to meet my roommates, if I had any at this time. I arrived in a taxi and I remember it was raining heavily, with a little thunder and lightning present in the sky. I quickly paid the driver because I was already very wet then I yanked my green suitcase from the back seat then I made a run for shelter, my suitcase being pulled clumsily along at my heels. After I reached shelter, I found my self standing in the foyer of the college in which I would spend a long time of my life in. After I had officially stated my arrival at the reception desk in which a wrinkly, worn down lady sat, I received a small, shinny silver key, the key to my room in the dormitories. This college was rather well kept and presentable for a public college, I think I was not quite used to this change of life because I suppose I was expecting the surroundings of a secondary school. Worn down corridors and floors, graffiti splattered on every available space, toilet doors hanging of their hinges, or the occasional spot of dried blood where someone had been beaten up. But then it hit me that the reason this college was in high condition was because people wanted to be here, chose to be here so that they can have a better life and they can improve their selves. I suppose it was a good thing that I realised this because I believe that it helped me settle in and knuckle down. So once I had got my key, with the number 127 and ‘North dormitory’ on it, I pulled my suitcase down a corridor, moving away from the foyer and the run down lady on the reception desk. I spent the next half-an-hour trying to find my room. I eventually had to ask some one before I finally found it. My arm ached from pulling my heavy suitcase around.
     Now I was standing in front of a oak door with a plaque that read ‘127’. I was here. I tried the handle first, the door would not open. So I put my key in and turned, it turned smoothly then the lock clicked and I opened the door. I walked in, my suitcase, catching the door frame, made a loud bang. I was in darkness, the room uttered no light, so I reached blindly around for the switch, it took me a little while cause I did not know where the switch was. Then my hand touched it and I switched on the light, then there were these two groaning sounds. One was a low, deep groan but the other was more soft and quieter. As I looked around the room, I realised that I had awoken two people. I saw three beds, two were occupied. This was when I first met Laura and Steven.
“What the hell is going on!?” The girl who I would come to know as Laura snapped.
“Dude, turn off the damn light!” The man said loudly.
I quickly flicked the switch again and I was plummeted into darkness once again. I moved quietly through the room, trying to navigate my way to the bathroom, I hit my toe on something and I managed to silence a scream that was going to leap out of my mouth. I spent a few minutes trying to find the bathroom, then I heard smooth, gentle snores coming from the man. I finally found the bathroom after spending a long time tripping over things and hitting my limbs on walls and tables. I shut the door before turning on the light. I lifted up my suitcase and rested it on the toilet. I clipped it open and began shifting through it for my pyjamas, I was really tired and my legs ached.
I changed into them once I found them then I shoved my clothes that I had just took off into the suitcase, I turned of the light and opened the door, I pulled my suitcase along with me, then I dumped it at the end of my new bed, once I had navigated my way to it from the bathroom. The I climbed into my bed, and I soon fell asleep.
     When I next opened my eyes, I realised it was morning because the sun was shinning in my eyes. I placed my hand in front of my eyes to shield them from the burning sun. I sat up and looked around. The girl who was there last night was no longer present, it was only me and the man. The man was still gently snoring, so I got up quietly and began unpacking my suitcase into the spare drawer and cupboard. After the half hour of unpacking, I got dressed. I put on a black t-shirt, baggy jeans and some old, wore out white trainers. Then I crept out of the room and went to reception.
     Once I got to reception, I saw there was a man there this time. I had come here to try and work out what my schedule was. I needed to know when my lectures were, when my classes were and when I had free time. I had chosen biology and chemistry for my A levels. I decided that was enough because I did not want to take on so much that I could not handle it. I approached the man at the desk, he looked me in the eye.
“Can I help you?” He asked, his voice deep and rough but prim.
“Yes, my name is Nicholas Irons, I wanted to know where I’d be able to find out what my timetable is?” I asked.
“Ok, I will have the information on the computer, I just have to print a copy of for you. One moment please.” He replied politely. The he began tapping my name on the keyboard. The a file shot up on the computer screen. I heard the printer kick into action, it gave out a loud whirring groan. The man reached into a compartment under the desk and pulled out a crisp piece of paper.
“I shall need to know your date of birth for security reasons, you know, because this paper has all your personal information on it.” He requested.
“I understand. It’s 17th July 1970.” I told him. Then he nodded and handed me the piece of paper.
“There we are. And welcome to the college.” He said.
I nodded in thanks and began walking back to my room (if I could find it again that is). As I walked back, I reviewed the piece of paper I had just received. I realised that this timetable was only for this month, then I saw a little notice at the very bottom of the page. It said: ‘Students shall receive a new monthly timetable every last day of the month.’ Before I knew it, I had entered the corridor where my room was. So I stopped looking at the timetable for a moment, then I went inside my room. The man I would come to know as Steve had awoken now. When I shut the door behind me, he looked around. Then he walked over to me.
“Oh, hello. You must be the new guy.” He said cheerfully, outstretching his hand as he talked. I shook it briefly.
“Yeah, I’m Nick Irons. Nice to meet you.” I replied.
“Nice to meet you too. I’m Steve McGregor.” He added.
He glanced at me and saw the timetable in my hand.
“Oh, is that your timetable?” He asked.
I looked the timetable over briefly before answering.
“Yes, and it looks as though I have a biology class in an hour.” I replied. Then I folded my timetable and shoved it in my pocket for the time being.
“Really? Laura’s takes biology as well.” Steven I informed me and gestured towards the bed in which the girl was sleeping in last night.
“Cool.” I said, then I walked over to my bed.
“Right, I’ve got to go, I’ll see you around.” Steven said and then walked out. Steven was a tall man, a little shorter than me, (now I had grown I was 6” 5’ but I was still growing) he had short, messy brown hair and a rugged, perfectly symmetrical face and he had a slightly diagonal scar under his right eye. I took a biology book from a shelf by my bed and I laid on my bed to read it.
     I had completely fallen into the biology textbook that I did not know that I had been reading it for fifty-five minutes. I suddenly lifted my head out of the book (with difficulty) and looked at my watch. I had a small rush of shock then I jumped up and slammed the book on the bed. Then I took out my timetable from my pocket and looked to see where I had to go. Biology was held in classroom 2A. So I left the room (checking I had my key on me first so I wouldn’t lock myself out) then I went on the hunt for classroom 2A.
     It did not take me long at all to find it, which I was a bit surprised about. Once I got to the classroom, I saw about thirty students waiting outside the classroom. Some looked nervous. It was quite a large class though, I mean the campus was rather large, it was about a third of the size of Heathrow airport. Then a middle-aged man stepped out of the classroom. He was wearing a white lab coat and he was a man of short stature and he wore black-rimmed glasses and his hair was starting to turn gray. He waved his hand in a welcoming motion and the class began to move into the classroom. I followed them in. They were all starting to take seats so I just followed the actions of the group and so I just sat in the seat closest to me. There was a girl sitting next to me, I realised that it was the Laura girl. She glanced over to me.
“Hey. Are you Nicholas?” She asked in a tone that was rather welcoming. I wondered how she new my name already because we had not spoken to each other until now.
“Yeah, hello. You’re Laura right?” I said.
“Yeah, that’s right, it’s good to meet you.” She replied, her tone still warm and welcoming. Both her and Steve seem to have forgotten that I had sharply awoken them last night. Then the man in the lab coat began to speak.
“Hello class, I am Professor Hazelton and I shall be your teacher for A Level Biology, before we start the lesson, is there anyone who wants to ask a question?” He said, the class did not respond.
“Ok then, let’s begin.” He continued and the lesson began.
     An hour and a half later I emerged from the classroom along with my classmates. Throughout the lesson I had been getting to know Laura as well as learning the functions of each human organ. I made my way back to my room then I heard running from behind me.
“Nick! Nick! Wait up!” A girl shouted, I turned to see that it was Laura. She stopped running beside me.
“Hi.” I said.
“Hey, shall we walk back together?” She suggested.
“Yeah, sure. I don’t see why not.” I replied and we started to walk.
     Once we got back to our room, she went into the bathroom and I went back to my bed. I looked at my watch. It was nearly 3pm, I decided to have nap, so I took of my shoes and jeans and got into bed and drifted off almost instantly.


© 2008 Jordan Cattell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on October 1, 2008


Author

Jordan Cattell
Jordan Cattell

Northampton, United Kingdom



About
Aged 16, born in Northamptonshire, England, March 18th 1992. Enjoy many things such as writing, movies, music, theatre, poker, science. more..

Writing
Alone Alone

A Poem by Jordan Cattell