Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Jordan Cattell

 

Chapter 3
I woke early the next morning, it was a Saturday, I looked over at my clock and I saw it was 6:30. I towards Nikki and I was slightly surprised for a moment as I discovered that she was not there. I sat up and got onto my feet, I was felt run down after waking up a little but I tried to ignore it. I opened my bedroom door and turned left and walked down the hall. When I reached the third door I stopped, it was the spare bedroom in which had been granted to Nikki for the time being. I knocked on the door softly, I got no reply so I opened the door quietly and entered the room. There was Nikki in her bed, I walked carefully over to her and discovered she was sleeping, I thought it was best no to disturb her dreams so I left and returned to my room. I laid on my bed and I drifted off to sleep again.
     I was violently awoken by a nightmare, and I jumped up, breathing heavily. I realised that everything was alright, my chest felt wet and sticky, I looked at my shirt and saw sweat covering half my chest. I heard talking downstairs, by the sound of things, everyone was up. I checked my clock, it was 11:45. I sighed in surprise that I had slept so late. I dragged myself out of bed and stood to my full height. I gave a large yawn and stretched my arms wide before walking out if my room and down the stairs, nearly falling as I did so. I entered the hallway, the floors wooden and the walls were painted brown, something my Mother had done last spring. I entered the kitchen to find my Mother and my Father. My Mother was pouring over the cooker, the smell of bacon filled my nose. My Father, I noticed looked tired and his eyes were puffy and slightly bloodshot. He was going through a pile of papers that rested on the kitchen counter by the microwave.
“What’s that your doing, Dad?” I asked, my Father did not look at me but he held up a hand to silence me. My Mother noticed this silence from my Father and it was her who answered the question that I had asked my Father.
“Your Father’s going through his tax returns.” I shrugged and dropped the subject. I looked around and noticed the absence of Nikki. I frowned.
“Mum?”
“Mm?” My Mother was too busy shovelling bacon and eggs onto four plates to answer me with words.
“Where’s Nikki?” I asked.
“Oh, she’s in bed still, go and wake her will you? Breakfast is ready.”
I nodded and left the kitchen to carry out what I had been asked to do.
      I approached Nikki’s bedroom door and found her not in bed, but in front of the mirror applying her make-up.
“Morning.” She said pleasantly, turning to me and giving me a wide smile. Evidently she was feeling a bit better today.
“Morning, breakfast is ready.” I told her, returning the smile.
“Ok, coming now.” She replied, putting her mascara in her pink make-up bag. Then she approached me where I stood and gave me a kiss on the cheek before swooping past me. I turned just as she began to walk down the stairs, then I followed her, eagerly wanting my breakfast.
     I went into the dining room a few paces behind Nikki. I found my Mother and Father already at the table eating, my Father had brought his tax returns into the dining room. He was shifting through them as he took large chunks out of his breakfast. I sat down opposite my Mother and next to Nikki.
     We ate for about ten minutes, occasionally talking about various things. From the horrible weather that had occurred lately to movies that we thought was good. After we ate Nikki gave her thanks to my Mother and we all left the table, my Mum going off to the kitchen to wash the plates and my Dad scooted of to do further work on his tax returns. Nikki went back upstairs and I went to watch TV in the living room. VCR clock, it was 12:15 pm. I sat there watching the TV when something dawned on me. Something had made Nikki so happy today. I mean, yesterday she was very distraught and today she was so cheerful. What was going on? I frowned and I decided to act upon what I had thought. I got up from the sofa and went to open the door when it suddenly opened, nearly hitting me in the face. I stumbled back slightly before I regained my footing. Then I was presented by a magnificent sight.
“Oh, sorry!” Came Nikki’s voice. She stood there in the doorway wearing a red dress. Her long hair was down and curled and she had even redone her make-up. I was slightly taken aback by her sudden formal appearance.
“Why are you dressed like that?” I asked. Nikki looked worried and slightly hurt when I had said this.
“Do I look bad? Oh, I do don’t I?” She replied, sounding a bit distraught.
“Oh no! You look lovely, I just wondered why you are dressed so formally.” I told her, and she looked a little relieved. A small smile appeared on her face.
“I’m going out with Jack!” She told me, excitement filling her tone. I frowned, I was confused a bit.
“Who’s Jack?” I asked, the frown still present.
“Jack Hastings? He goes to our school.” She told me, glee filling her face. I knew now who he was. Jack Hastings, according to popular opinion was one of the most handsome guys in school. Now the frown disappeared from my face.
“Where are you going with him?” I asked.
“Oh, to that new cinema on the main road.” She replied.
“Oh good, what time?”
“In about 15 minutes. I’ve got to go now, see you.” She said, then she hugged me and then she was gone.
      For the majority of the day I was doing my coursework and revising for my upcoming GCSE’s examinations. Nikki had also been preparing for our exams. In three weeks we both had 2 full weeks of exams. About 5:30 pm, I packed up doing my preparations for my GCSE’s. Then I switched on the TV again just as my Dad went past the living room door. I heard him shout from the front door. “Honey, I’m going to work now. Won’t be back till the early hours. See you, Nick.” Before I had a chance to reply, I heard the front door slam shut.
     My Dad’s job had working hours that we hardly ever on set times each day. He could be called to work anytime. 24/7. My Dad worked as project manager for a big business company that deals with architectural plans of high end housing. He had been doing this job for most of his life and had received a few promotions for his hard work. Lately though he had come home all hot and stressed. This had been a continuous process of coming home for the last three weeks. Sometimes I heard my Mother talking to my Father at night in their bedroom. I don’t think that he had ever told my Mother what was truly wrong. Maybe if he did it might have saved his life, oh, of course you don’t know do you? Well let me tell you.
 


© 2008 Jordan Cattell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
Added on October 1, 2008


Author

Jordan Cattell
Jordan Cattell

Northampton, United Kingdom



About
Aged 16, born in Northamptonshire, England, March 18th 1992. Enjoy many things such as writing, movies, music, theatre, poker, science. more..

Writing
Alone Alone

A Poem by Jordan Cattell