Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Elizabeth Thief

The half moon’s light pierced through the thin black clouds. The quiet cobblestoned street was asleep. The only sound was an owl hooting softly and my own quiet breathing.

Only one candle glowed softly in a window. It was a warm night and the windows were thrown open on the second floor. “Perfect.” I breathed.

A lone figure appeared in the candle-lit window. She blew the flame out, pitching the grand home in darkness. Slowly, I crept from my hiding place, my soft footsteps muffled by my leather boots. I moved from shadow to shadow, stalking closer the mansion.

When I was sure the last servant had gone to sleep, I ran silently to the gate surrounded the large property. Without stopping, I scaled the iron fence and landed on the others side.  I crouched in the bushes for a few moments, to make sure no one had spotted me and then ran silently across the lawn.

I jumped nimbly onto the large porch and climbed as silently as I could manage onto the second-story balcony. I peered into the windows, only getting darkness in return. Grunting, I moved to the rail of the balcony, and climbed into the open window.

I squatted down to my knees as soon as my feet hit the ground. I waited until my eyes to adjust to the dark gloom. I was in a long, deserted corridor. My mother’s ring shone in the moonlight from the chain hanging around my neck. The ring was one of the few possessions I saved from my old life. I was planning to sell it, but I couldn’t bring myself to. It was her wedding ring.

I tucked it back into my black tunic. I had taken to wearing boy’s clothes when I’m obviously not.

I put one foot forward and gingerly put my weight on it. Good, marble floors.

I didn’t waste time. I found a sizable fortune and raided putting the goods into a threadbare potato sack. When the sack was about half full, I tied it tight, and threw it over my shoulder, grimacing as the items inside rattled.

Sticking my head out into the hallway, I looked around carefully. Seeing no movement, I went back to the open window and perched on its ledge for a moment. This was the hard part.

Using a long piece of rope, I quickly lowered the goods to the ground. I followed behind and ran, the sack thrown over my shoulder. Throwing the sack over before me, I climbed the gate and landed on the other side. I watched the mansion tensely. Only did I relax after no sound came from it.

Even in the darkness, I knew where I was going.

I ran through the silent cobblestoned streets, skirting large streets and ducking into the maze of alleys. Reaching a tall ladder that went to the roof; I climbed and pulled the ladder up after me.

The buildings were pressed tightly together, so I didn’t have to jump that far from roof to roof. I landed on one rooftop and finally sighed in relief.

The red tent we had pitched using a large canvas was sitting in the middle of the rooftop. From here, we can see the Notre Dame. In the summer, when the weather was warm, we slept up here. But when the frost comes, we sleep in abandoned houses, or if we couldn’t find a house, we’d sleep in a church. On rare occasions, I would get enough money to stay in an inn, but not for a long time.

I placed my bundle down and went inside the tent. A quiet breathing greeted me. Smiling slighting, I brushed a lock of Angelo’s long, curly black hair from his forehead. Suddenly exhausted, I laid down on the thin mattress we shared. I wrapped my arm around Angelo’s and he snuggled into the crook of my arm, sighing.

I sighed too and fell into a deep unconsciousness.

 

The early morning sun streamed through the think canvas, making the red tent look like it was on fire. I groaned and turned away from the light. Feeling empty air beside me, I opened my eyes in narrow slits. Angelo was already up, rummaging through the earnings I got last night.

“Wow!” he exclaimed, holding a jewel encrusted goblet to the morning light, watching with wide eyes as it sparkled.

I laughed as he put the goblet down gently and continued to search the bag. “Luci, may I go with you this time?”

My smile fell. “Angelo, we’ve been over this-“

“I know,” he said sadly. “But I’m tired of waiting up here while you have all the fun. I’ll be quiet, you won’t even notice me. Please.”

I sighed at my brother’s big pleading eyes. “I’ll think about it, but for now let’s eat.”

The streets were much different then at night. Carriage’s wheels clobbered across the cobblestones as horses’ hooves echoed off the walls of surrounding homes. Up the street, men behind stalls called out prices of the items that they sold. I took out two coins from my pocket and handed them to a baker. He handed me in turn two fresh loaves of bread and I nodded my thanks, handing one to Angelo.

I usually sell my items one at a time, and to different vendors. Though I sometimes sell my items all at once, and to only one person.

Pierre, oh how I hate that man, He is disgusting, horrible, rotten man. He is the perfect person to sell stolen items.

I had packed a few of the goods in a burlap sack on my belt-mostly jewels and small items. “Come on Angelo,” I said, starting down a shady alley.

Angelo followed close behind, as I took a familiar route through the winding alleys. Sunlight fled down onto the ground in panels of sharp, golden light. A sigh reading: ‘Nez de Cochon’ hung over a dark doorway.

“Angelo,” I said. “You stay right here, and don’t talk to anyone. You do not leave, no matter what.”

“But-“

“No buts, petit.” I cut him off and gently squeezed his shoulder. Pushing the hood over my eyes, I descended the dark stairway and pushed back the tattered cloth that served as a door. I stood there a moment and let my eyes adjust to the dimly lit room.

A few candles glowed softly here and there. Several grimy tables were spread randomly around, surrounded by unstable looking chairs. A round-bellied, greasy man stood behind the counter, whipping a glass with a less than white cloth. One man was passed on top of a table, snoring loudly. Another man was bent over his drink, staring blankly. Other than that, it was completely empty.

I stepped forward tentatively, studying the room.

A voice behind me made me bristle. “Well hello, little thief.”

 



© 2008 Elizabeth Thief


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Kind of reminds me of my own writing style in a way. Great write and book so far Eliza.
Off to chapter 2

Kelley

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is what i try to put in my storys such details. you have skills my friend

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 1, 2008


Author

Elizabeth Thief
Elizabeth Thief

Ireland



About
Hi!! I'm Elizabeth (Eliza works just fine too, but please not Beth. Ugh) I'm 15 and I am who I am. I'm slightly crazy and weird and wild but that's who I am (ok, maybe a little more than slightly ;D)... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Nothing Nothing

A Poem by Ebb and Flow