Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Elizabeth Thief

Pulling my hood low over my eyes, I stepped into the dim, smoky room. It was much more crowded than this morning. The tables were filled with laughing and tipsy men and women. Bar wenches squeezed though narrow spaces to fill the customer’s orders.

“Ah, you are here little thief,” Pierre said from my left. “Good choice.” Why does he always insist on trying to sneak up on me?

He never touched me, for fear of what happened earlier today. He led me to the back of the room, to another door. Opening it and stepping inside, he gestured for me to follow him. Shutting the door after him, Pierre stepped forward. “She’s here, my lord.” He said to the back a tall, six foot man.

The room was empty, except for a table pushed to the corner of the room. Two burly men stood on either side of the door. I noticed another person sitting at the table, hidden in the shadows. The man Pierre addressed as ‘my lord’ wore fine clothes of a noble. His long, silky blonde hair was tied back at the nape of his neck. His hands were folded behind his back as he stared at the painting on the wall.

“Good,” he turned and I saw deep brown eyes under thick brows. He frowned and ordered me. “Show me your face.”

I paused, and then submitted. I pushed my hood back and let my long hair spill over my shoulders. I heard a soft gasp from the corner, but kept my eyes on the man.

His eyes narrowed as he studied me. I felt his cold gaze search me and I resisted the urge to shutter. Instead I jutted my chin out and returned his cold gaze with my own fiery glare.

He chuckled. “I was expecting a woman, not a girl.”

“She is as good as any-even better.” Pierre said quickly.

The man stepped forward, still watching me. “Luciana Darell,” he rolled my name off his tongue, as if tasting it. “The great thief of Paris.”

“I fear I don’t know who you are.” I said.

His mouth turned up in a smirk. “I am Duke Zacharie D’Aubigne of Aquitaine. And you are going to help me.”

“I’m not interested,” I said. “I don’t do jobs.”

“Silence thief!” Pierre hissed, rushing forward to the Duke. “Of course she’ll do it! Don’t listen-“

He was quieted as the Duke held a hand up. Pierre wrung his hands nervously. The Duke cocked his head to the side, as if he was amused by my outburst. “I think she merely needs a little… encouragement.”

He slowly pulled out a wicked looking dagger from his belt. He tested the tip with his finger. “I need you to get something for me.”

He began to stroll, back and forth casually toying with the dagger. “I need something that was taken from my family years ago. I want it returned to me.”

“No,” I snapped. “I won’t steal for anyone. I especially don’t want to be involved with your feud.”

The Duke watched me from the corner of his eyes. “I thought you might say that,”

Suddenly he threw the dagger. I dropped to the ground on all fours. I heard the thud behind me as the knife imbedded in the door. I stood slowly, breathing heavily and ready for whatever the Duke was going to do next.

“I’m afraid your refusal is not convenient to me. I don’t think you realize the gravity of this.” The Duke said calmly, stepping closer and staring down at me. I held my ground and glared back, even though I had to look up.

His cold brown eyes bore into mine. “You will help me-“

“Or what?”

She smirked then, his eyes dancing. “Or little Angelo will pay.”

My eyes widened in horror. The Duke continued. “I want that jewel back. Or else your precious brother shall suffer. “

My fists clenched and I shook with rage. “Don’t yo-“

“Don’t worry. Nothing will happen to him as long as you do as I ask.” The Duke finally stepped away, gesturing to the figure in the corner. “My personal servant shall accompany you.”

The figure at the table stood, stepping into the candle light. He was much younger and defiantly…more handsome than I expected. He was tall, he seemed about a year older to my sixteen. His shaggy black hair fell into his eyes and full lips that were perfect for smiling. His stunning crystal blue eyes were breath taking. I instantly distrusted him.

“Nicholas,” The Duke said, addressing the servant. “You are to accompany her, give her all of the needed information. You’re going with her when the job is done. Report back to me of your progress.”

“I work best alone,” I said, glaring at Nicholas and the Duke.

“Yes,” the Duke purred. “But you see, that is not convenient for me. No need to worry. Nicholas won’t get in your way. He is excellent at-“

“Fine,” I bit off. “I’ll get your stupid jewel, just leave Angelo alone.”

“It’s a deal.” The Duke smiled.

Nicholas stepped forward, his took my hand. “It is a pleasure to work with you, manqué.”

I pulled my hand away before he could kiss it with his lips. “Are we done?”

The Duke nodded, “Remember thief, if you try to get out of this, I’ll find you.”

Pierre sneered at me as I went out the door with a much dignity as I could. I pushed my hair back into my hood, pulling it low over my eyes. Nicholas pulled the door shut after him.

He followed me as I nearly fled outside. Stopping abruptly, I turned to him. “Keep up if you can.”

I ran, jumping nimbly over mud puddles and people. After years of running from the scene, my feet flew easily over the ground as I ran. On the street, I dodged carriages and people easily. I heard Nicholas’s footsteps and heavy breathing behind me. I ran faster.

Hoping to lose him, I leapt as high as I could and climbed onto a second story balcony. Only a second after that, I was on the roof. Jumping from roof to roof came as easily as running. Soon, I was on the rooftop that I used the ladder to climb up on.  I stopped to catch my breath, leaning against the ledge.

Suddenly a head popped up over the side and laughed. “Can’t lose me that easily,” Nicholas laughed, climbing up.

I gritted my teeth. Damn it!  He was much better than I anticipated. Before he could climb onto the roof, I leapt to the next roof. He was close behind as I jumped the same route I would if going back to our tent. Two roofs over, I stopped abruptly and he nearly crashed into me. I glared up at him with as much as I could manage. “If I’m stuck with you then we need to get something straight. You even think about hurting Angelo, I swear it’ll be the last thing you ever think about.”

“Relax mother bear,” Nicholas replied coolly. “I have no intention of harming him. I must follow my master’s orders and that is to help you retrieve the jewels. After that, you’ll never see the likes of me again.”

I narrowed my eyes threateningly. I had no choice but to believe him. Jumping over the last remaining roofs, I called out: “Angelo?”

Fear squeezed me for a moment when he didn’t answer. I sighed in relief when his head of curly hair appeared from behind the tent. He stepped out from behind the tent, eyeing Nicholas suspiciously.

“This is Nicholas,” I explain. “He’s…alright.”

Angelo’s expression turned to curiosity. I continued. “He’s staying with us awhile. He’s helping me out.”

He nodded and Nicholas smiled at him. “Hello, I’m Nicholas. I’m guessing you’re Angelo?” He held out his hand for Angelo to take. Angelo remained silent, not taking the hand.

“Quiet fellow,” Nicholas mumbled, his hand dropping to his side. I chuckled despite myself.

 



© 2009 Elizabeth Thief


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think the young miss has a crush on Nicholas? We will find out I'm sure.
I saw a mistake you might want to fix.......?

""It is a please to work with you, manqu�."

shouldn't it be pleasure instead of please?
Just wondering.

Off to the next chapter......great job so far.

Kelley

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 12, 2008
Last Updated on March 11, 2009


Author

Elizabeth Thief
Elizabeth Thief

Ireland



About
Hi!! I'm Elizabeth (Eliza works just fine too, but please not Beth. Ugh) I'm 15 and I am who I am. I'm slightly crazy and weird and wild but that's who I am (ok, maybe a little more than slightly ;D)... more..

Writing