Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A Chapter by Elizabeth Thief

“No!” Nicholas shouted from across the table in the library. “If we just waltz in there, we’ll stick out like a sore thumb!”

“No we won’t!” I shouted back at him. “If we go during the ball, there would be a least two hundred people and those guards would be watching all those people. In fact, they’d be too busy to see us slip in through a window. We’ll be in and out in a minute.”

“Yes, but that’s another two hundred people that could see us! If we go the night before, there are less people and everyone would be too busy to preparing to notice one jewel missing.”

We glared at each other and continued even when Boswell spoke up. “We need to plan something. The ball is in a week and the Duke wants the jewel. Soon.”

I looked away from Nicholas and down at the maps of the Baroness’s castle on the table. I pointed to the square that represented the Baroness’s chambers. “All we have to do is go up through the servant’s stairs and sneak to the chambers. From there, we can scale down the window.”

“Why not just go back down the servant’s stairs?” Boswell asked.

“It’s a rule of mine. You never use your entrance as an escape. Bad luck.”

“If we went while they were preparing, we could just-“

“Perhaps,” Boswell cut in, interrupting the bickering. “You could just dress like servants and walk in the front door.”

“No!” we both cried at the same time.

He sighed. “Alright, you’re the masters.”

I filed through the papers. Even the two sessions with Boswell, I was able to manage to read some of it. “There are…at least…eighty guards stationed…” I couldn’t place the next words.

Nicholas took it from me. “Eighty guards at night and day. Even more when the Baroness is hosting.” He shot me a glare at the word ‘more’.

                I gave him my best fiery glare and opened my mouth to tell him exactly what I thought. It was probably a good thing Boswell cut me off. “Perhaps it’s time for that swordsman lesson you promised Nicholas?”

               

A part of the large garden was cleared out into a grassy field. Tall bales of hay with cloth thrown over them were marked as targets. There was a stand set up, holding all kinds of swords and bows and arrows. Nicholas picked up a short sword held in a black leather scabbard. The hilt of the sword was strange silver with a small, deep blue gem imbedded at the top.

He handed it to me. I drew the blade out and watched it gleam in the sunlight, casting dazzling reflections on the ground.

Nicholas drew his own and asked. “Have you ever used on of these before?”

I shook my head. He said. “Alright do what I do.”

He took a ready position; his legs shoulder length apart and bent at the knee, one leg a head of the other. His sword arm held in front of him, the blade edge facing me. I copied him.

He nodded. “Good.” He taught me various defensive and offensive stances. Then, he handed me a long, thin wooden pole and told me to put away the sword.

“Take your stance.” I did, not really knowing what he was doing. “Aller.”

He lunged, and I stumbled back several steps. I tried to keep his blows away, but several sharp hits easily found their way through my sad defense. His thin pole cracked against my chest and I fell backwards on the ground.

Nicholas smiled and offered a hand to me. I ignored it and stood myself. He said. “You need to have a firmer stance. It doesn’t help your balance if your feet aren’t set apart.”

I nodded and took my stance. Nicholas did too. “Aller.”

After several hours of training, I was very sore and stiff. Collapsing on the large four-poster bed in my room, I groaned. Already, bruises were appearing on my arms and torso. Nicholas leaned against the doorway, his arms crossed across his chest. “It always hurts the first day of training, but you get used to it.”

I sat up on my elbows and the loose braid I had put my hair in fell off my shoulder. “I didn’t know you could get used to pain.”

“It’s easier if you don’t use real swords on a first spar.” He said distantly, placing a hand over his left bicep.

I was stunned to silence.  I barely managed to sputter an apology. I’m an idiot.

The corners of his mouth turned up slightly. “Why? You can’t fight with a sword to save your life.” He straightened. “Get some rest.” He ordered and shut the door behind him.

I burrowed my head in a pillow and groaned loudly.

 

                For the next two days, I spent my hours with Angelo and Boswell, learning to read from the many books that line the dusty library. I improved greatly from only knowing a few words to devouring great paragraphs. Angelo, though, is a much faster learner than I and is already going through pages with little help.

The other hours I spent with Nicholas, learning the art of swordsmanship on the grassy land. Nichols is an excellent fighter, and I grudgingly considered myself lucky to be taught by him. After hitting the ground hard many times, I always forced myself back to my feet. Nicholas was right, after the first session it became easier.

Nicholas is not what I expected him to be. He surprises me with his humor and kindness. I had thought him to be nothing more than a loyal servant to a wicked man. But…no. He has made it clear of his resentment of his master.

Once Angelo was asleep, the three of us would go down to the library and attempt to plan how we would get into the Baroness’s castle without being caught. We have yet to succeed in figuring that out.

The Duke grows impatient. If we didn’t act soon, it might be too late.

 



© 2009 Elizabeth Thief


Author's Note

Elizabeth Thief
I know it's short, but it gets better!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can tell its getting better by the page.......smiles

Only one tiny mistake this time at the end......

"He surprises me with is humor and kindness."

should be.........

"He surprises me with his humor and kindness."

opps just left out a letter is all.

Now their learning to read and young Lucy is learning swordsmanship........hummmmm

Kelley

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 7, 2008
Last Updated on March 11, 2009


Author

Elizabeth Thief
Elizabeth Thief

Ireland



About
Hi!! I'm Elizabeth (Eliza works just fine too, but please not Beth. Ugh) I'm 15 and I am who I am. I'm slightly crazy and weird and wild but that's who I am (ok, maybe a little more than slightly ;D)... more..

Writing