Chapter One- As To you, darling

Chapter One- As To you, darling

A Chapter by EncoreDeZiza

BUrning Inside the Black
EncoreDeZiza
All Rights Reserved
2013
Chapter One
As To you, darling

         He was hard to find, standing in all his shirtless glory as he hovered over the stove, trying to be subtle about the piece of bacon he was eating. Unwilling to interrupt the moment, Max didn’t say a word, just watched the man’s toned back as he leaned away from the stove, exposing more of his torso, the muscles clenching and unclenching due to his violent coughing. Max sighed, suddenly feeling overly tired as he plopped on the stool, propping his elbows on the counter to make his presence known. “It’s going to kill you.” He warned, eyeing the man before him.

His boyfriend turned, his bright golden eyes rolling with playful annoyance, “Here,” he handed him a plate with bacon literally stacked on it, before turning to open another package, “Now eat it and shut up.”

“Kale,” He pushed, ignoring the bigger, hungrier, part of him that was practically begging him not to start a fight. “I’m serious.”

“As am I,” Kale replied confidently, effortlessly, as usual, “If that bacon’s still on your plate in the next twenty seconds, it’s mine.”

“Yours?” He repeated, biting his lip causing his piercing to clash on the back of his teeth. Was fighting really worth losing his food?

“Mine,” Kale confirmed, turning to lean against the counter, giving Max a suggestive wink. Max felt his face redden, Kale was giving him that uncomfortable feeling again; like he was a predator, just eyeing his next victim. Max snatched up a piece of crispy heaven and savored the taste, trying to ignore the burning smell of smoke as his boyfriend signed away more years of his precious life. Max looked up, beyond grateful to find him buried face-first in a book. Max seized the opportunity to look him over, he had an old tattoo on his left collar bone that read one word: Moxx. There was a tattoo of the body of a black bird between his shoulder blades, it became visible as he turned, wings of fire spread from the bird, flames of orange and yellow fighting to come out dominant, before being completely overtaken by red flame that joined within orange, to kiss the top of his shoulders, while the lower flames, spurring a beautiful blue, cascaded across his ribs, the longest of all flame (a pure blue) came down across his stomach, the tips barely touched on both sides of his belly button.

            On his left shoulder, there was one letter stenciled in an old, Halloween-type font, ‘S’. It was written to look like it’d been beautifully crafted by hours of concentration only for someone to walk by, dragging their fingers down the wet ink, smearing the bottom, but for Max it only added character.

 

            Max had asked Kale countless times how and why he got the tattoos by her never answered and Max had come to believe that the stunning man before him was just as clueless as he. So mysterious, yet mystery was sexy. And this was one mysteriously sexy man. “…..Good?”

“Hmm?” Max murmured, coming out of his day dream.

 “I understand that my voice is sexy,” He sympathized, rolling his eyes, “But I’m getting tired of repeating myself.” He ranted, flicking the ashes into their glass tray that he’d all but slammed onto the wooden island. Max just looked at him, hoping he’d say it again anyway. “Is the food good or shall I relieve you of debriefing it?”

He grinned, only Kale… “I’m capable of ‘debriefing’, thank you.” He dismissed, holding his plate to his chest protectively. Kale smirked, opening his mouth, “Don’t” Max warned, making Kale burst with laughter. Max made a face before ignoring him all together.

            After minutes of spacing off, he zoned back in, Kale leaned on the island with one arm, raising a single eyebrow in question. Hypnotized by his effortless beauty, Max was completely lost as his intense golden globes bore into his. “Let’s have sex.” He suggested, his eyes raking up and then down Max’s firm build.

“W-wh-what?” He stammered, “No!”

“Ah, you’re no fun.” Kale complained before smirking, “Care to explain why that’s the only part you heard?” When Max didn’t bite, Kale pushed off the island and poured some orange juice before doing his routine cleaning. Conversation over, Max stood, getting his own coffee before retreating into the living room.

 

            “You should make me something chocolaty.” Max whined, emerging from the living room where he’d been for the past hour. Kale had spent the hour wisely, showering, changing into a pair of red boxers that hung dangerously low, he graded papers for like twenty minutes before getting bored, giving everyone a C, and returning to his book.

“You should go back to playing your video games.” He replied, once more with intimidating grace, and effortless confidence.

“It’s not just a video g-“ He defended, but before much could be said, the door bell rang and Max ran to the bathroom, Kale casually rolled his eyes, taking his sweet time to walk to the door and threw it open. It was a box, unmarked. He bent down to take a closer look, finding two words, a name, etched in old, curvy letters that looped and flowed beautifully together.

            Richelle Moxx

“Are you sure you should open it? It was probably delivered to the wrong-“ in that moment the box popped open and Kale continued ignoring Max. He reached in, revealing one book and then another. ‘The Chevellian Wars’ followed by ‘No Rest For the Wicked’. “Did you order-“

“No.” Kale growled, irritably. “Why would I order books in a chick name?”

“Are you sure..?” Max pushed, by this point he was even annoying himself, but Kale was an English teacher, his English teacher, it wouldn’t surprise him if he’d ordered them and then forgotten. OH s**t! English! School!

“It’s spring break!” Kale called as Max began running in circles, searching for his bag.

“Oh yeah,” Max sighed, relieved, he plopped up on the counter, watching Kale’s muscles as he picked up the newspaper and the box, throwing it into the trash.

“So what’s the story? What did you tell your mom?” Max paled. “Max?’ Kale questioned before groaning, “You’ve been gone for two whole days!” He roared, making Max flinch. Kale leaned into the stove, sighing as he rubbed the bridge of his nose, “I’m sorry,” He whispered. “This just freaks me out sometimes, the pressure.” Max nodded even though he knew Kale couldn’t see him. As if on queue, the doorbell rang making Kale’s eyes snap open, focusing on Max’s. He nodded to the hallway closet and turned off the video game before answering.

            “Hello?” He asked, shoving himself in between the wall and the door, as he cringed from the light, as if he’d just waken up. He noted the uniforms and cleared his throat, “What can I do for you, officers?”

They flashed their badges in unison, before the taller of the two opened his mouth, “A student of yours, Mr. Maxwell Spenser, went missing two days ago, may we come in?”

“How odd,” He commented before holding the door knob tighter, “No. Why?”

“Aside from the whiteness that claimed to see you driving Maxwell home, we tracked his cell phone,” When Kale just starred at him, he sighed, “To your apartment, Mr. Ryan.”

He pulled a look of shock, then settled on confusion, “That’s… Peculiar…”

“Uh-huh,” The taller one mumbled, “Dave?”

The shorter one pulled out a phone, touching the screen and joining his partner in glaring at Kale. He just starred back praying that the kid listened when he told him to shut it the f**k off. Unfortunately, he hadn’t been. “AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! YO MOMMA’S ON DA PHONE!!!!!! I SAIS YO MOMMA’S ON DA PHONE! LISTEN UP BOOII, CAUSE YO MOMMA’S ON DA PHONE!” Kale flashed the officers a dazzling smile before the taller one signaled for him to turn around; heaving a sigh Kale did just that.

“Where is he, Mr. Ryan?”

“I honestly have no idea,” Kale confessed as they cuffed him, “He came by yesterday afternoon, saying something about Parris”

“Parris?” The shorter one echoed.

“Indeed. Confusing, I know, but, you know, kids.” He laughed awkwardly. The short one pushed past, “No, Mr. Ryan, I’m afraid some of us will never know kids as much as you do.” He gave a firm, displeased glance towards Kale before opening the closet and grabbing Max’s arm.

“Does that confuse you as well, Mr. Ryan?” The taller one spat. Well, well, well. Someone’s touchy, and you’re not even the one going to jail…

 

            He was stunning, even in his little prison uniform. She’d seen him coming from the hallway, hoping he’d come join her. She knew, of course, if he did then he was most definitely gay, but she was confident she’d turn him. And if she didn’t, then surely she’d die. How could you not want that?

            As they approached, she panicked, running and jumping onto her ‘bed’. She rolled over, hiding her face and hanging her leg over the side unattractively as she steadied her breathing. “Here y’are, Ryan” Her cell mate didn’t utter a word as his cuffs rattled and the door closed behind him. She pretended to jump at the sound of the door and rolled over, groaning, slowly opening her eyes to see him sitting by the door, just looking out.

“Hi,” She gushed, sitting up and openly starring at the way his shirt hugged his broad shoulders and unjustly toned arms. “I’m-“

The doors opened again and he stood, moving aside. They tossed Moxxine in like a rag doll and she bounced up, charging toward the door only to stop short of face-planting as they slammed it in her face. “I’M NOT AN ANIMAL!” She screamed, pounding her fists onto the bars. “YOU CAN’T JUST LOCK ME UP IN YOUR DAMNED CAGE!”  Before she could hit again, he was in front of her, holding her arms as he began to walk her back into the cell.

“Good?” He asked after her back had hit the wall.

“Good,” She promised. He let her arms go and tried to return to starring out the door, but she grabbed his face and crashed her lips to his. Their cell mate watched in absolute horror as he kissed back, letting her take dominance as she shoved him against the wall. Hearing the guards foot steps, Fae stood, ripping them apart and forcing Moxxine onto the bed, she plopped to the floor as Richelle crossed he- His arms over his chest.

            “Kale Ryan?” Kale stood, waiting, “You have a visitor.” The guard informed, opening the doors.

 

 

            Kale sat down across the sheet of glass, looking deep into Max’s brown eyes before picking up the phone, “Hey,” He breathed, leaning forward, registering Max’s fidgeting as nervous bodily behavior. He was lying. His mother must not know he was here, which made sense, really. Kale’s charges were kidnapping, adultery, and rape. Of course all three were lies. They’d never had sex, and Max came willingly, he just forgot to tell his mother, of course, the court would hear nothing from a gay… That was almost illegal now, they were setting it up so you could die “justly” for your sexuality.

“God I’m so sorry!” Max gushed. No, I’m sorry. “If I would’ve taken two seconds to breathe, to think-“

“Max,”

“No, I should’ve listened. I never listen, I’m a terrible boyfriend, I-“

“You’re just a kid,” He interrupted, watching Max’s face fall with the mentioning of the word. “You’re bound to make mistakes, and I was one of them.” He finished, confidence radiating from him, he could do that on purpose, turn it on and off, he knew it intimidated Max, so he’d mastered it. But now, he was going to use it to his advantage, something he tried especially hard not to do around him. But he needed this, he needed Max to turn and walk away, he couldn’t look back.

“What?” Max cried, appalled, “No! No, I’ll,” He stood now, frantic, “I’ll come out for you. I will! I’ll get the money for your bail- you shouldn’t be here anyway-“

“Max,” Kale dismissed, standing up as well, “Go home, you don’t belong here.”

“Neither do-“ Max began but Kale cut him off, hanging up the phone and disconnecting the call. He nodded to the guard, telling him to take him back to the cell, with the girls. He groaned after seeing the normal one, whose name he didn’t know, walk past, so… One girl. The crazy one… Great…

 

 

 

 

            “Is she here yet?” Zi asked, gnawing on her bottom lip.

“That’s a bad habit,” Fae pointed out.

Zi glared, “I lost two full grown people!” She whisper-hissed, grey mixing in with the blue of her iris.

Fae sighed, “Yeah, she’s here. But she’s a dude too.”

“I figured they both changed.”

“Well good for you, bail them out soon though, its torture.”

“What do you mean?” She pushed, her eyebrows meeting in the middle.

“For me or them?”

“Start with you.”

“Well for starters, he’s hot.” Then, noticing the guard starring she added, “But he’s gay, soo…”

“Gay for Ashton, right?”

“Mhm,” She nodded.

“Which I’m assuming is the torture part…” Zi added as an after thought, “Fae, I’ve got enough money to bail all three of-“

“No.”

“Fae.”

“I said no.”

“Hale’s out, you don’t have to-“

“Yes, I do.”

Zi pulled a face, “Okay, well, I love you.”

Fae smiled at that, “Love you too, tell Hale hi.”

“He’ll be thrilled to hear from you”

 

 

 

They’d been in there for what felt like hours, she was sitting Indian style on the bed, and he was lounged on the floor. They never took their eyes off each other. “Can I ask you something?” She randomly blurted.

“Go for it.”

“Did you see them?”

“Who?”

“The other couple. The boy and girl, when we kissed, they kissed. I saw them, playing in my mind.” She stopped, running her tiny hands through her massive, out-of-control blonde-white hair. “Did you?” She asked hopefully, her yellow-green cat eyes trailing up to his.

“Yeah,” He admitted, relieved when the guards came back, delivering the other cell mate. “So, none of us have officially been introduced. I’m Kale. Kale Ryan.”

“Fae.” The cellmate smiled.

“Moxxine,” The blonde spoke, “Moxxine Grey.”

“Grey, Ryan!” Someone yelled, opening the door, “You’re free.”

They looked at each other, “What?”

“This lovely woman has paid your bail.” He announced, as a slender woman with red-brown hair pulled up into a messy bun emerged.

“Let’s go,” She said, giving a wide smile. Kale stood, waiting for Moxxine to exit first before hastily following. “DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT WAS FOR ME TO FIND YOU?!” The woman yelled. They were in the parking lot now, standing beside a 1967 Impala.

“No,” Moxxine admitted. Kale just looked at her, she shrugged, looking just as lost as Kale.
”We don’t even know you.”

“We don’t even know each other.” Moxxine added.

The woman stood, looking between the two, before throwing her hands up, exasperated, “Did none of you read the damn books?!”

“Books?” Moxxine asked at the same time Kale said, “That was you?”

“Yes it was me,” She sighed, “Just get in the car guys. In the back, together. Maybe some familiarity will get you two out of this madness.” She concluded before slipping into the door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

            It was a soft, quiet, reassuring gesture she was sure would snap her out of her restless and weary state-of-mind. Contrary to her greatest hopes, the gentle sizzle of bacon did nothing to settle her nerves. Her eyes never lifted from the paper, gnawing on an old grey pen- Okay, so the pen was fairly new, but it looked decades old due to the damage done by her mouth. Richelle and Ashton weren’t on talking terms as she’d hoped, so she dove head first into their story, their history. So far, she’d realized one thing. They were driven towards each other- so they never gave in. She sighed in pure frustration, seconds from ripping her hair out of her skull. “Patience, Love,” Hale breathed, they’d been living back at her old place in London for a while now, and he’d adapted quite the accent. She smiled faintly as she let her eyes roll up his perfectly sculpted body, which, by the way, was unfairly exposed. She flashed him a daring smile regardless of if he was in her league or not, he returned it, adorably, as usual. Making her feel like total s**t in comparison. He plopped a plate of bacon and pancakes in front of her and she could feel her face light up, like a typical child, she grinned excitedly. He placed the syrup in front of her before leaning on the counter. “How’s it going?” He asked, gesturing to the living room. They both looked simultaneously to the couple who were so subtly attempting to avoid each other. Richelle- Okay, the man… Man, this was messed up!- sat on one couch, Ashton �"the chick- on the apposing one. This, of course, only forced them to stare at each other, so they were currently looking anywhere and everywhere but at each other. Richelle poked her abs while starring at the ceiling and Ashton fiddled with his long blonde hair. Again, she wanted to rip out her hair and eat it. Why? Because this was frustrating, and it didn’t make sense.

She let out a frustrated grunt, impatience getting the best of her. She slammed her book closed loudly, making the couple leap to their feet simultaneously darting around for the source of the sound. “Zi,” Hale warned but she ignored him, standing to her feet and placing the book down before trotting her happy a*s into the living room, “Here’s the deal,” She stated matter-of-factly. “You are both Pheonix,” She lectured before turning to Richelle, “Your name is Richelle Moxx, you’ve got spunk, and that attracts many male suitors,” She informed winking at the way Ashton’s body stiffened. “It also makes members of the female population have one of two reactions- the first: Admiration. The second? Jealousy, hatred, spite. But the thing about you is, you don’t care.” Then she turned to Ashton, “You are Ashton Grey, you are cute, you are adorable, but your masculine, you’re protective, you’re loving, and you constantly battle Richelle for dominance in the relationship. But it’s okay, because you two are adorable.” She sighed then, “Now kiss and make up.” She demanded. They both just looked at her.

“Too far,” Hale sang from the kitchen.

“My house, my rules,” Zi argued, narrowing her eyes on the two, “Kiss. And not just the ‘oh, you were so cute little Susie’ on the cheek cute, I mean a full-blown long-lost lovers kiss. Because that’s what you are, and you’re going to act like it.” She didn’t miss Hale’s choking noises from the kitchen, but decided against ignoring them, she’d get him later, but not now. Right now, she was gonna knock some sense into these idiots.

“She’s insane,” Richelle reasoned, Zi glared.

“I will not hesitate to cut off your balls, it’s not even like you use them.”

“Uh-I- um-“

“You truly are a first class dick, you know that?” Ashton roared, taking a step closer to Zi, “Provide me with one source of truth, one.”

“Besides your undeniable pull towards each other?” Zi pushed, raising her eyebrows and taking satisfaction in the way he paled. “Simple,” She walked over to Richelle and literally ripped her shirt off, Hale began choking again, but they all continued on. “Look familiar, love?” Zi tested, pointing to her collar bone, “Only yours says Grey, doesn’t it?”

“B-b-but how did you-“

“It’s the mark of a Pheonix, last name on left collar bone, preferred reference on the left shoulder,” She added, spinning Richelle to show her ‘S’. “Richelle is a Seeth, you are Chevellian.” She added before spinning her, “This should look familiar as well,” She added, pointing to the flaming bird, “Also a Pheonix marking, however Seeth’s and Chevellian markings are different this time. For example, you shouldn’t have a bird, am I right, Mr. Grey?” She demanded, annoyance seeping into her tone.

“I- ummm….”

“Great. Now kiss.” She practically jumped as a strong arm gripped hers, “Ziza,” Hale chimed, slightly irritated, “A word?”

She scowled, “I’m busy, Hale. Obviously, I’m counseling. Making the world a better place-“

“Great, come make the world a better place in the laundry room,” He suggested, pulling her away.

“I mean it!” She screamed over her shoulder.

“What the hell are you thinking?”

“I’m counseling!” She justified.

Never go into counseling, good God.”

“I was doing a fantabulous job, thank you very-“

“Scarring people into making impulsive and irrational decisions isn’t counseling, it isn’t progress, and it isn’t wise.” He lectured.

“Well how else are they gonna snap out of it then?”

“Slowly.”

“And what? We just sit here and wait?”

Hale didn’t say a word, his eyes said it all. Yes. Duh. I’m an arrogant a*****e who doesn’t- okay, that may be me… “Have you ever heard the phrase ‘Smell the roses’?” He asked thoughtfully, his arm resting next to her head as he watched her. She merely rolled her eyes, not even bothering to answer such a stupid question, “I say that’s what we do, smell the roses.” She cocked his head, meeting his gaze head- on. It wasn’t long after that she realized how awkwardly close they were. She took a step back, letting the air circulate around them- separately.

“By ‘Smelling the roses’, do you mean- I mean,” She opened her mouth and the closed it, “Like…. Testing things?” She chickened out. She couldn’t ask, not if that’s not what he meant, it would only make things awkward. Boys and girls really couldn’t be friends when you thought about it, they were bound to develop something, and even if they didn’t, they had random spontaneous moments to try it- all ended badly. And Hale and her couldn’t end badly. She had no idea why it meant so much to her, but it did. So she left it at that.

“Testing what?” He mused, completely confused by her unorganized thoughts.

“Like. Us,” She explained, gesturing between the two. His eyebrows only furrowed in response. “Like you and I, together.” Silence. “Together,” She repeated, making thrusting movements with her hips.

His face lit in reorganization, his lips forming a perfect ‘O’. Suddenly, it all vanished, replaced by a careless smirk, “No, that’s not what I meant, but I like the way your mind works, “ He winked, before calmly, cooling, exiting the room.

 

            She glared after him before returning to the room where Richelle and Ashton continued to stand, starring at each other, completely conflicted. She just sighed, growing immensely tired. She didn’t want to deal with this, didn’t want headache. Still, she walked forward, pulling up a chair. “Sit.” They reluctantly did. “Welcome to ‘I Love You 101’,” She began trying not to smirk at Ashton’s face. “Richelle, you may begin.”

Richelle took a deep breath, before leaning back into the couch, “I don’t like it. Being straight. It’s weird and foreign.” She stated bluntly, Zi smiled, same old, same old… “But I’m hooked, I hate the random visions or premonitions or whatever they are tho. I don’t’ like the feeling I get.”

“What premonitions?” Zi questioned, but they talked over her.

“I don’t understand you…” She breathed after a long silence, she shook her head, “I do believe you’re truly trying to kill me.”

 

“As to you, Darling.” 



© 2013 EncoreDeZiza


Author's Note

EncoreDeZiza
Kay so that got the ball rolling....

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
Added on August 6, 2013
Last Updated on August 6, 2013
Tags: counseling, confessions, love, confusion, realitycheck


Author

EncoreDeZiza
EncoreDeZiza

Narnia, Neverland, United Kingdom



About
Oooooo! A visitor!!! Lol, hello lovely, I'm Zi. I guess I should start by saying that I am, in fact, not from the UK, nope. I lied. I'm from the states, I only lied because when I put US down I had a .. more..

Writing