Emrys

Emrys

A Chapter by HalfBloodPrincess
"

Definition of my destiny: Destined to rule, Destined to give, Destined to be betrayed.

"

 

I had started it, I knew, but by the looks of things Aero, my opponent, would be victorious. Our swords parried back and forth. Aero was not much bigger than I, he stood only slightly taller. His light brown hair drenched with sweat just grazing his brow. I imagined my image mirrored his own, I ran to higher ground to try and gain some leverage, but was blocked by Aero’s elbow, he had sharply jabbed my side, knocking me to the ground. The wind flew from my lungs, and stars swam across my blurring vision, I raised my hand pretending to yield, but threw fire instead.
 
Aero must have expected me to use my element and jumped away in time, the fire missed its mark by barely an inch. He grunted as he hit the ground, his sword flying from his hand and landing only a foot away from me, I turned quickly and jumped to my feet ready, I now had the upper hand over Aero. I walked toward him sword ready in my hand, I held it high and steady, prepared to strike at will. I looked down at Aero, he had his back to me and I knew that this was probably a trick, but instead he appeared to be shivering.
 
 The sun was setting and the forest trees did little to bay some of the wind that was coming into our clearing, but it didn’t seem cold enough for him to shiver so violently, maybe my fire had hit him after all and was shivering in pain. I looked toward the trees where our fathers watched us, they sat from a safe distance atop there horses. While they were the only ones still around, the guards had retreated to the trees not really paying attention to the battle, just waiting until blood was drawn and some one appeared to claim victory.
 
Though the wind blew loudly, I could still hear my father’s voice over the wind, he was calling to me, to urge me to strike. The words seemed to cut through the wind and be carried straight to my ears. I raised my sword even higher and took a deep a breath. But before I could bring my sword down upon him, Aero turned over and I finally realized he had not been shivering, but laughing, uncontrollably laughing. At that I threw my sword angrily to the ground and shouted at him, “If your not going to take this seriously why should we even continue to practice together”
 
“Oh don’t get your skirts in a bunch, you’ve won, now claim your victory and pretend to strike me so I can get off the ground” He teased.
“Why bother” I said irritably, I offered my forearm to help him up, he took hold and was lifted roughly off the ground. We then turned and both walked to find and sheath our swords before we returned to our fathers. I was still angry at Aero, this was the first time I had gained a victory in sword play and wanted it be more realistic, just because he had won several times didn’t mean that the novelty of victory had lost any of its importance.
I had sheathed my sword and turned to walk away when a hand on my shoulder held me back.
 
Aero stepped in front of me “Emrys, don’t be mad you won, I’m sorry I laughed you were just so serious looking, I didn’t know what else to do” he said sincerely, although his words made me feel slightly better I still felt the bitter pangs of anger in my blood. He noticed my irritated demeanor did not drop so he must have decided to take more drastic measures. He dropped to his knee and unsheathed his sword. He leaned his forehead against its hilt and began to speak “Emrys of Faer, lord of Fire, master at bow, I swear fealty to you for eternity, my blood will I shed at your call, my army shall I give should you beckon, my...” “Oh enough already Aero, get up before they see you, you shouldn’t use an honor swear unless you mean it” I interrupted. “But I do, Emrys I do, you are my spirit brother, even though I worship Ventus and you Faer we are forever the same.” He smiled
 
He threw his arm around my shoulders and we walked thus, my anger had subsided, he was a loyal friend and he probably meant the honors swear. “Do you really think I’m a master at bow Aero?” “Of course I do, who wouldn’t? You could hit a target from a hundred yards away.” He laughed
We approached our fathers where they sat with our horses and knelt, the wind blowing even harder against our backs.
My father Phelan was the first to speak, “Well boys, tiring match eh, Emrys I’m disappointed, you could have done much better than that you nearly had him in the end, just because you have an element on your side don’t use it as a crutch, if you weren’t a royal you wouldn’t be able to rely on an element. As for you Aero, very well done you’ll make a fine soldier and leader of Ventus someday.”When he spoke to me, he used his usual condemning tone; as if it was my fault I wasn’t as fast or as strong as Aero. I couldn’t understand how two people who looked so alike could be so different. I looked so much like him, but at the same time like his complete opposite. He stood over six feet, with the same coal black hair my brother and I shared, along with our golden eyes. But as he was strong and fierce in his eyes, mine always stared with an innocence of youth, which I thought I might forever have.  
 
He put a hand on Aero’s shoulder, Aero smiled, but I knew inside he felt bad for me, I knew my father did not think I was ready to be a leader of Faer; the way Aero was ready to rule Ventus. He used to say it was what he was born to do, even though we were both heirs to our perspective thrones I did not feel as if I was born to rule, my brother Aiden, at four seemed more capable of ruling than I.
 
 “Oh relax Phelan, it’s all in good fun, no one expects a boy of twelve to be ready to lead a kingdom. You boys did a fine job, you’re well matched.” Said Baine, Aero’s father in his booming voice. Baine laughed a genuine laugh, when I was young I believed when Baine laughed so the world quaked. Aero looked so much like his mother, even would say Aero was her reincarnate, except for his eyes which mirrored Baine’s dark green ones. Baine continued to laugh, but suddenly his tone turned more serious. He gave my father a strange look, I looked toward my father to try and figure out what was being communicated between their eyes. My father returned Baine’s gaze with a somewhat knowing look. “Boys, why don’t you take a respite by the river, your guard will escort you back to the Keep” Baine suggested.
 
Aero delighted by the idea for an opportunity to not have to continue the day’s practice, shoved me to the ground and dashed off toward the trees, this quickly put my father’s strange behavior out my mind. “Shall we have a footrace” he shouted back at me. I hurriedly scrambled to my feet and grabbed my bow from my horse and quickly shot an arrow in Aero’s direction, I had aimed for a few feet in front of him and while it didn’t startle enough to stop him, it did slow him down enough to give me a chance. I took off toward the trees after Aero. I ran my fastest and finally broke into the trees, I tried to follow Aero’s erratic running style at a close pace, but like sword fighting, footraces weren’t a skill I could claim.
 
I quickly became lost in the trees, every path looked similar and light was fading fast. Though I had spent most of my summers in Ventus, I wasn’t familiar with anything other than the Keep.   
I realized I was hopelessly lost. I decided I would wait, eventually my guard would realize I was not by the river and would search the forest. While I waited the brush underfoot rustled loudly, I readied my bow with a quiver and took aim; a piece of game would be nice for supper at the Keep. A rabbit ran out of the brush and I having shot a few seconds late had missed. The rabbit ran east through in through the trees and I bored foolishly followed. The rabbit led me to a break in the trees before I took aim and struck him. I put the rabbit in the satchel that hung around my waist, and took a look around. I realized the rabbit had led me to the clearing Aero and I had been sparring in.
 
I looked around for my father, but saw no one. I listened for any movement; I heard voices coming through the trees to my left. I walked toward them expecting a guard, but instead walk upon my father and Baine in a heavy discussion. Recalling their previous strange behavior, I decided against making my presence known until I had figured out what they could not discuss in front of us. They were standing in a small opening in the trees; their horses must have been tied nearby.  Baine had dropped his usual casual and optimistic demeanor in exchange for a dark and unusual one.
 
“Phelan, I have received news from Alastrine, she has delivered me a son and a daughter.” Baine spoke this with no joy in his voice. “That’s wonderful news Baine, why do you not rejoice, Alastrine has given you a son and a lovely daughter.” My father exclaimed slapping Baine on the back. Baine gave my father a dark look “you know now what must be done.”
“You can’t mean Alastrine wants to go forward with what her father discussed.” My father said incredulously. “Her father could have me killed if I don’t go through with it, Phelan, but he is my son I cannot, I mean how could I?” Baine struggled for words. “What must I do Phelan?”
 
“You don’t want my opinion Baine” My father said. “Tell me what you would choose.” Baine still urged. “I would go through with it” He said with venom in voice, “you are far more important than he is, you are king of Ventus he is just a boy.” “you know” Baine spoke sadly “I never expected I would marry again after Ethne died, she gave her life bringing Aero into this world and now Alastrine wishes me to take it so her son can be King. How can I wrong Ethne so?” Baine covered his face with his hands while I struggled back tears, our fathers were discussing ending Aero’s life, and my own father had said he would rather give up mine than forfeit his own. I had faith in Baine, he was a good man and I had a good feeling he would make the right decision.
 
Baine snapped his head up suddenly “I cannot let Alastrine’s father Isle take my life, I must end Aero’s, but I will be the one to do it, I cannot let someone else hold him while life crawls from his body.” My father walked to him and put his arm around him, “you are doing the right thing Baine.” I could not believe the words that had somehow found my ears, I had to stop them, but first I would have to find Aero and warn him.
“How will I make this look accidental Phelan, I could be hanged by my people if someone suspects foul play.”
My father took a moment before he spoke, “I will call Emyrs out of the clearing Baine, and after he has died we will make it look as if Aero merely got fatally hurt while sparring with Emrys, Emrys is weak he will not speak against you.”
Baine merely nodded, though he was taking a cowards way out he still appeared mortified by what he was about to do. I wanted to say something, but found myself struggling for the right words to talk Baine out of killing Aero. I heard movement behind me, and found myself staring at Aero, he was running toward me. I ran toward him, but didn’t have time to even form words before I heard Baine and my father straighten up and step out of their clearing. It looked as if Aero and I had just approached which was good for my part.
 
“Well boys, how was your race?” My father asked happily, “Aero I take it you probably were the victor.” Aero just looked at me, he must have thought I did not make it to the river and so I turned back. I gave him a look, but he still stared confused, I must have appeared to look like I had seen an apparition.
 
“Well, let’s carry on then, come on Emrys Baine must talk with Aero for a moment, he has good news to share about his new mother.” My father spoke “I want to hear too” I said frantically “No Emrys come on, I need to have a word with you as well” my father urged “But” “I said lets go, we’ll walk to the river and wait for the guards to catch up, shall we” He tugged me to the trees, I nearly ran from my father, but couldn’t figure out what I would do as soon as I was away. The last good image I saw of Aero was him winking at me, he mouthed see you in a moment and then his face vanished. My father and I were barely a yard into the clearing when I shoved him away and ran back, I unsheathed my sword and new with utter determination what I must do. When I pulled up to the clearing Aero was in his father’s embrace, he saw me running but I did not meet his eye the only thing I could stare at was the dagger in Baines hand held high toward Aero’s back. I made no noise as I ran, it was almost if the wind had carried me, the night was nearly upon us and the cold held my breath. I didn’t even feel it as my sword pierced Baines back.    
 
Nor did I hear as Aero scream as my father came running through the woods. I didn’t even realize that Aero had turned on me with his sword unsheathed, I was so happy, I was laughing I had chosen right. Aero’s life was still intact, he would rule Ventus. “I saved you” I began to scream, but I was too late Aero’s sword had already pierced me.    
 
 
“I saved you” I whispered. My eyes widening as I felt the force of his sword collide with my body, tearing through my skin so quickly, the blood gushing rapidly from my stomach onto my hands told me I had been stabbed, yet I could not feel the pain, or I did not want to. I collapsed to my knees, my breath coming in slow rasps. I grabbed the hilt of Aero’s sword, the only part protruding from my stomach, I looked up at him confused, I had saved him and he was killing me, had killed me. He looked back at me with pure venom in his eyes, tears falling from his and my eyes freely, I began to speak
 
“Aero of Ventus, lord of Winds, Master of sword, I, I, I” my eyes began to close and my grip on Aero’s sword hilt began to wane. I fell to the ground slowly, still breathing; I thought I was dreaming I heard my father come charging through the woods he was shouting something that I could not hear. Aero’s foot caught me in my throat, and I began shivering. The last thing I saw was Aero, screaming in the night. My world quickly turned dark and the cold I felt had finally left me…..


© 2008 HalfBloodPrincess


Author's Note

HalfBloodPrincess
THanks to all who have read this story previously, just made a few minor changes in names and added a back story, please revies

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have a few mispelling and grammatical errors, but alli-in-all a great story. Keep writing.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


The story itself is really good and there are many ways you could take this but I found the typos and grammatical errors halted the flow for me. There are a lot of places where commas should be and some of the words don't quite go together. I think if you went back and looked it all over you could make this into a really good story. I hope to see more of this.


Brette

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

295 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 5, 2008
Last Updated on October 19, 2008
Previous Versions


Author

HalfBloodPrincess
HalfBloodPrincess

Bakersfield, CA



About
Writing is a huge part of my life, I love to write mainly fantasy and supernatural mixed in with romance. Big fan of JR Ward and the BDB! series, and pretty much of just reading the genres I like to w.. more..

Writing