Admirers of earth

Admirers of earth

A Chapter by HalfBloodPrincess

I shot up suddenly and looked around, I breathed out a sigh of relief. It had just been a dream.

I had heard that people of Faer honored respect above all other things, but I did not think Aiden would risk getting caught sneaking into my chamber just to fling me over cliff. I smiled at my stupidity.

 

I looked to the window and saw the sun just peeking over the hills; I arose from bed and the plush sheets that I had been asleep on. I walked over to my chest and chose a sapphire blue gown with a silver tie and trim. My brother had once told me it was my best gown and I wanted to look nice for the other leaders. I brushed out my hair and added a silver circlet to the top but let the curls tumble down my back which was exposed as by design of the gown. I checked my appearance in the glass my brother had given me for my sixteenth birthday and being satisfied by my appearance I excited my chamber.

Since I was up so early, I decided I would go to the temple on the level below my chamber. I took the northern hall at a run, no one was ever up this early except for keepers and they normally kept to themselves. I ran down a flight of stone stairs but halted quickly when I heard voices down the main hall.

 

I stayed in the dark wanting to know who I was walking in on this early.   A shrill like voice began speaking coyly. “She sleeps late especially after she has quarreled with her brother” “besides that she’s not very attractive this early in the morning, there are better things to look at” came the shrill voice followed by flirtatious laughter.

The other voice spoke in a slow, deep, almost musical voice “please just let me know when she wakes, I would like to have an audience with her.”

 

I realized the voice was one of the keepers of the temple, Tessa. I had no idea she held disdain for me. I made a quick reminder to be nicer to her if ever our paths should cross. I took the other voice to be another keeper with questions for me about something.

I stepped forward from around the corner to let my presence be known and came face to face with none other than Aiden. Tessa nearly jumped out of her skin but Aiden remained un-phased by my sudden appearance.   Tessa inclined her head to me but could not help staring with a jealous gleam, I had dressed my self with care and it showed. For once I was proud of my beauty, while at most times it brought me naught but unwanted attention.

“You look lovely Essyllte Aurelius” Aiden spoke in a somewhat musical voice; I smiled but gave no compliments back. “If you will permit me to ask, why are you about so early?  he replied readily “ I wanted to speak with you and am glad I now have the chance incase our paths do not cross again today” I stared into the gold eyes wondering if I was wrong, what if he had ordered the attack and I was advocating murder, I stared at the gold eyes, full lips, and dark hair, he was tan like most soldiers who trained long hours in the sun, his jaw was firm and any woman could appreciate his handsome face but instead I studied it looking for clues to answer my questions. He looked away from me and stole a furtive glance at Tessa who had been staring intently at what was going on between our eyes, for a hint of something she could interpret into gossip. “May I speak with you in private Essyllte” Aiden suggested.

 

If Aero found I had held a private audience with Aiden, I would pay dearly, but my curiosity outweighed my fear and I accepted. “I’m on my way to the temple; you may join me if you wish to speak alone.” I believed he knew I was testing him. It was hard for another element to enter a temple for a God they did not worship. Aiden worshipped Faer, would he walk into a temple of Ventus just to speak with me.

 

My question was answered when he offered his arm to lead me to the temple, I accepted and we proceed away from Tessa in silence.

After entering the temple and shutting the door, Aiden turned toward me and began to speak.

“I wanted to offer my thanks” he breathed as he stepped close to me, face just inches from mine.

“I assure you your efforts were not in vain, had you not spoken on my behalf I may have been imprisoned”. I looked up at him and his eyes told me he was sincere, but I wanted to have proof and more secure answers.

 

I decided against asking outright why there even existed evidence against him, and instead asked something else, “Isn’t this hard for you,” I asked “being under so much suspicion?” He asked back “No, being a temple of Ventus.” I swept my hands around the large temple, the large brass circular shaped doors, and the stone floor offsetting the gold fountain with the crest of Ventus sculpted upon it.   I turned to light the torches in the temple, the sun had not yet reached this side of the tower. With my back turned I began to question Aiden “Do you know why your men were found in that village in firma”; I implored” how can something like this be coincidence?”

 

He took a moment before he replied; I think he was considering how much he should tell me.

He started slowly “I was trading with Paladin of Firma. He ordered my men to drop off the goods in Gornea Firma, but before you start making judgments hear this, If the men I sent did destroy that village I shall take full responsibility but I shall not shoulder the blame for ordering it when I did not” He ended fiercely.  “The coward Paladin did not want everyone to know so he did not speak on my behalf.”

 

“But you did and I will forever be in your debt” He grabbed my hand and with his free hand slipped off a gold chain that had previously been around his neck and placed it into my palm. “You will always have an ally in Faer” he looked down at me as he said this with sincere kindness in his eyes. We stood like that for nearly a minute when the temple doors suddenly flew open.

I jumped startled by the sudden interruption and embarrassed by my closeness to Aiden. I looked at the doorway to see the keepers coming start the temples fountain running. “I need to speak with my father; he arrived well after I was asleep. Have good day Essyllte” “and you Aiden.” We parted to head for our separate destinations. I needed to think and the best place for that was in a clearing in the forests here in Ventus. I headed to the stables where I had a friend in the stableman Elda; he knew I would want to ride today so my mare Isa was already prepared. I couldn’t leave the grounds; I didn’t want to upset Aero anymore than I already had. So I stayed in the stable with Elda and Isa. I grabbed Isa’s brush and groomed her flawless white coat. Elda watched in silence. He was one of my dearest friends in Ventus. He came from across the sea speaking in a tongue none had ever heard. He came seeking refuge from his people who had found him accountable for the death of his wife. Aero took kindness on him and brought him here to raise our horses. He was aged now, but could still handle an unbroken horse better than any. He had a hunch so he stood only a little taller than I. His gray eyes could see straight through anyone, matching his gray beard they went perfectly with his very pale skin. He used to say the sun held nothing over him. He was also an herbalist and this he said was the secret to the unique durability of the horses he raised. “Essyllte what troubles you darling” he spoke in his aged rasping voice. I continued to brush Isa while I contemplated what indeed was troubling me. I was worried for Aero, he could be overprotective at times, but something was troubling him more than usual. “I don’t know Elda, I’m just worried.” I finally replied. “Ahhh, worried.” “Well my dear if there wasn’t worry in the world none would learn to be prepared for what is to come.” He said. Elda often talked in circles or riddles, I oftened wondered if he was a philosopher before he came to us, but I have to be content with never knowing, for he would never utter a single word about where he came from.

 

“I suppose your right Elda, I suppose your right.” I continued to brush Isa and help Elda with the other horses before Elda’s attendants showed and I could no longer speak freely. I walked back to the keep, to prepare for the evening meal.....

 

With all the tribe leaders gathered, normally a festival of sorts would be held in the village, the people rejoiced when the elements gathered, but since this was no ordinary gathering we were not prepared to entertain. Aero held conferences at dawn lasting long into the night. I spent most of my time in my garden; after yesterday’s events Aero did not want my presence in the meetings any longer. I was in my garden early that morning before any of my attendants; I did not wish to speak with anyone. When I turned around to find Aiden admiring my flowers he stood so near them and looked as if he were whispering to them. “Do you like them” I asked “yes, yes very much, May I ask what they are, I’ve never seen any like these” He said with curiosity tracing his voice. “I have yet to name to them, but they are my favorites, there hybrids.” “Really? They are so very dark almost like a crimson and violet together, what did you mix with.” “My mother Alastrine, was from Firma, when she came here she was still very young and homesick for her wild lands of Firma, a crimson flower grew in her garden and she brought it with her. It survived long enough to be planted, but it began to wilt, it couldn’t survive the climate here in Ventus, so when my brother went to Firma last year he brought me one and I manage to mix it with a thorn rose and from then on it has grown.” I finished. “Hmm” he said

 

“Essyllte?” He said still staring intently at my flower, “Yes Aiden” I said watching him, “do you think you were able to mix this flower because your mother was a royal of Firma” I stared at him, I had never thought about it, I didn’t think so, but it was strange how I was so in tune with my garden. “I don’t think so Aiden, you know as well as I, even when you have two parents from different blood lines, you are only granted control of one element, I took to Ventus like my father, I still honor Firma, but I have no control over his element.” “I know I know, it’s just, it isn’t unheard of you know, having more than one element that is.” I laughed “it’s just a myth Aiden, just a myth.” We kept walking through my garden; he seemed fascinated by my knowledge of the different kinds of flowers I kept. The silence was finally broken by Aiden “Do you know the story of the creation of my people Essyllte” he looked down at me. I had heard many variations, but none knew the true story, when I was a girl some told me a man had sold his soul to Faer in order to live forever, but instead he was consumed by fire and his bloodline was forever cursed with fire in their veins.

 

He took my silence for an answer and began to speak “I didn’t think you did, not many outside of Faer do and now you will. When the Gods made man they gave them no knowledge of the world, so they did not know how to use or fear fire. In a small village that still stands today in Faer, a woman’s gave birth to a son whom she would later call Eljin or noble one.

 

The villagers left their children with their matron when they would hunt, but on the day of their hunt the matron’s house was struck by lightning and the house caught fire, when the villagers returned it was too late, those who had survived were burned so badly they would not live through the week. The woman refused to let her son be killed to end his suffering, and instead she prayed to the gods for three nights and on the fourth night when she saw none would answer, she lit a fire and prayed to it, she told it she hated it for hurting her son, but feared and loved it for keeping him warm in winter. The next day she went to her son to let him be killed to end his suffering, but instead she found him perfectly healed and awake. Many called her a witch and wanted her to leave the village, they attacked her and her son, but her young son saved her, he had found he could make fire with his hands. It was then she knew that the fire had answered her prayer and so forever she would make a shrine and pray to him. Many followed her suit and thus Faer was forever revered by man.” The story was amazing, such a noble pursuit.

 

The sounds of many people headed our way stole my attention. I turned to find Aero, Carius, and Paladin restraining Phelan. Aiden immediately drew his sword and readied himself to attack. “SO we come here in peace and are treated as animals” Phelan spat angrily. I looked from Aiden to Aero, both would love nothing more than to fight, but Aero knew better than to settle things that way.

 

“Has he been with you all morning” Aero spoke angrily, caught off guard by the question directed at me “I, I, I” I stammered “yes, why?”

 

Are you sure you’ve been with him all morning” Aero snarled and spat out the word him as if Aiden were a distasteful wine. I thought for a second before I had answered what if Aiden was trying to use me as a safety; maybe he woke up early and sent a message to attack but came to me so I would stand for him. I looked at him and saw an emotion in his eyes which I could not read, was it fear or guilt. After what felt like an eternity I breathed “yes, I we’ve been here since sunrise.” Aiden looked at me studiously wondering.

 

Aero and Carius did not look satisfied but could do nothing, if he was with me all morning he could not have sent any messages without my knowing.

“What was the village Aero” I pleaded hoping I had no friends there; but one look and I knew it was something terrible in the way Aero looked at me with sadness in his eyes, he said with apprehensive hesitation “Garmia.” At that my world went black¼

 

 



© 2008 HalfBloodPrincess


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

HalfBloodPrincess
Read and Review please

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
Added on August 9, 2008


Author

HalfBloodPrincess
HalfBloodPrincess

Bakersfield, CA



About
Writing is a huge part of my life, I love to write mainly fantasy and supernatural mixed in with romance. Big fan of JR Ward and the BDB! series, and pretty much of just reading the genres I like to w.. more..

Writing