Execution

Execution

A Chapter by HalfBloodPrincess

 

The following week went by very slowly, the keep remained silent during the day, and I kept mostly to myself even through dinner. 

With Aiden gone and Phelan close to departure, Aero was somewhat at ease. Even though I barely saw him, the whole keep seemed more peaceful now that his demons were put to rest, at least for now. The three villages that were burnt were going to be rebuilt. I hoped Garmia would be the last village, if it wasn’t Aiden would for sure be blamed, with his absence more questions would surface around his debatable innocence. I was lying on my bed, the sun was just setting. My fingers traced the gold colored threading in my crimson bed coverings, the wooden four poster bed taking up the center of my room. It was moving ever closer to winter, the sky getting darker day by day. I hadn’t stirred from my room all day, feigning illness; I managed to avoid saying goodbyes to Carius, Phelan, and Paladin. They had departed early that morning and I had not cared to say anything. There was a knock on my door; I shifted around to see if they would enter, when they did not I assumed it wasn’t Aero and perhaps maybe a messenger from Aiden, even though it had only been two weeks since his departure I hoped news would arrive soon. I slid off the bed and went to the door. To my surprise I found Aero standing there, he usually only gave me a warning knock before entering without permission, but this time he stayed at the door. I stepped aside to let him enter and he closed the door behind us. He set his emerald eyes upon my face; he pulled me close to him and whispered in my ear, “Are you angry with me?”  I shook my head in his chest, “then why have you been avoiding me,” I hadn’t meant to ignore him; I was just lonely and didn’t want to bother him. “There is something I must show you, will you come?” His voice sounded strange, like he was worried about something, I nodded and let him lead me outside. When we stepped outside my room, he nodded to my guard and they swiftly followed us. My curiosity was raising also my worry. Aero led me around to the men’s quarters and into his room, there was a side door attached to his room, I assumed it was for his attendants, he led me through the door and down the stairs into a washroom, behind the curtain concealing the bath was a small door. I looked to Aero and he nodded at me to continue forward. The door was very small, anyone looking back here would never notice it, I pulled at the hidden latch and it opened, revealing a small tunnel, it would be a tight squeeze for anyone, even me. I looked to Aero for an explanation, he met my eyes and I found they were sad. “What is this tunnel for?” “This tunnel leads underneath the keep to the sea behind us. If the keep falls I want you to run as fast as you can to here and go through, beyond the tunnel there is a boat,” “But?” I asked “Do not interrupt” Aero said abruptly “Beyond this tunnel there is a boat, I want you to take it and wait to you are far enough where you cannot see land, from there you will make a signal in the sky, Carius will find you.” My eyes began to tear, “But why?” Aero straightened up and closed the door he looked to the guards who exited the washroom. “These are dangerous times Essyllte, someone is burning villages to the ground not just any typical villages though, they are taking out cities they see as threats, from what I gather they are large in number and acting on orders, now before you start I am not blaming Aiden or Phelan just yet, I know nothing of them being involved. But you must be wary of whom you trust and right now I trust Carius, so must too.” “Why do worry so, we are able to defend ourselves, are we not?” “Let me worry about that, this is just a precaution, but listen carefully Essyllte, do not take anyone with you, get out immediately. These soldiers have shown no mercy and if I live they will use you against me so it is very important that you leave. I will meet you in Watari.” Aero quickly embraced me before going back to his deep thoughts walked me to my room, where I quickly retired to my dreams.

The days passed slowly with no news from Aiden, I thought he must not have had nay news, or he would have sent it to me, but I had hoped maybe he would confide in me of his journey through Ventus a city which he was not much acquainted. I had just been bathed, and my attendants scoffed at me when as soon as I dressed fled to my garden. My hair had dried freely and was curled down my back, I stuck the last flowers bloomed in my garden, the rest had already retreated from winters cold fingers. I had thought I was very much alone, but a chill up my neck alerted me that I was being watched. I turned to see a man in plain clothes, a little scruff, but his eyes so kind reminded me of Aiden somehow, the way he smiled I suppose how his smile reached his eyes not only his face. He noticed I was watching and inclined his head to me, before speaking. “I a bearer sent from by my sworn Aiden of Faer.” Thrilled by news from Aiden I couldn’t contain my excitement, “By what name do you go by.” I asked politely. “I am known as Vardon, my lady.” He would not return my gaze, but instead handed me a note pressed with a sealed similar to the one engraved on the necklace Aiden had given me. I hastily took the note from and tore it open.  

Lovely Essyllte, I have good news, I have found your beloved Ismene at a camp for survivors near Firma. She is sickly but alive as I had promised you. We return slowly but steadily, if you have a letter send it through Vardon he is my right and should you need it, you may grab hold. Sealed Aiden of Faer.

I could have kissed Vardon, I instead thanked him and fled to Aero, he was in his chamber. I blurted the news of Ismene’s discovery, before Aero had even seen who had flown into his chamber. He looked terrible, his skin was pale and his eyes sunken and he looked as if he hadn’t slept in a week. I quickly went to him tears springing to my eyes at whatever could have caused my brother this much pain. I wrapped my arms around his chest, but instead he pushed me away.  

He looked down at me with grief in his eyes but also a sort of determination. “I have news as well, Essyllte.” He spoke as he turned his back to me, “It seems Phelan was detained by his own men, for conspiring against Faer, he names his son responsible as do many others.” I shook my head back and forth. I was positive now Aiden had nothing to do with it; he had sought out Ismene and had been to kind, it took a certain type of man to be able to issue a death warrant for innocents. I couldn’t speak, “anyone found to be aiding him in any way will be consider for charges of treason, Essyllte, an execution order has been put out against him.” The tears fell from eyes betraying my bleeding heart, “couldn’t you do something” I stammered. Aero finally turned to me I will not risk yours or my life for a traitor!!” “But, he.” I could barely finish my sentence, I had let him bring Ismene here, and if it weren’t for me he would be in his own territory where he had a chance, what a fool I had been. There was no way I could get a message to Aiden without Aero knowing. I fled from Aero’s presence determined; Aiden said if I needed him to send Vardon. I had last spoken to Vardon in my garden; I had not been with Aero long he may have not left yet. I reached my garden and clinging to the stitch in my side I looked around. He was not there, I had no hope left, and Aiden would face his execution.

 



© 2008 HalfBloodPrincess


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
Added on August 9, 2008


Author

HalfBloodPrincess
HalfBloodPrincess

Bakersfield, CA



About
Writing is a huge part of my life, I love to write mainly fantasy and supernatural mixed in with romance. Big fan of JR Ward and the BDB! series, and pretty much of just reading the genres I like to w.. more..

Writing