Desperation

Desperation

A Chapter by HalfBloodPrincess

It was lucky I had remained so close to Aiden else I would have crashed to the floor, when I came to I was in my chamber alone the sky was dark I wonder if I had slept that long or if Aero was letting his frustrations control the sky. I flew from my bed and raced to Aero’s chamber I cared not if someone saw.

I barged through the door and saw all four of them standing around a map but didn’t care my question was for Aero. I quickly demanded with one word “Ismene?”

 

Aero, Carius, Paladin, Phelan and Aiden stood watching Aero for a reaction. Aiden assuming the worst walked to me incase I fell again, an action which the others watched closely with questioning eyes. But I pushed him from me and studied Aero’s face for a hint of her whereabouts.

 

He spoke slowly as if that would dull the blow his words would surely give me “some survived, but it is too soon to tell who has died and who lived I’m sorry Essyllte” I stood breathing thinking fast “when” I demanded “Early this morning” was his depressed reply. “She would come here if something happened but she is probably hurt and it’s a day’s ride it takes much longer on foot, we have to search the forest for her” I croaked breathlessly “Essyllte it’s not that simple we must stay and try to catch the person responsible” he flew a disdainful look at Aiden who either did not notice or did not want to react.

“Please” I cried Ismene was my dearest friend, after my mother died my father implored her as my nurse; she was the only mother I had ever known I could not lose her now after already losing so many.

“I can not spare the men.  These men appear to be moving south and the next village south is in Watari, were sending men there incase they should attack if Ismene survived she will have help from other survivors.”

My shoulders began to shake, I could not imagine Ismene alone in the forest, but my thoughts were blocked by Aiden’s voice. He put his hands on my shoulders to steady them and looked me in the eyes “I will go”

Carius looked at us and interjected loudly, “that’s quite enough, you must stay, we can’t have you running off and warning your soldiers of our coming and ruining our ambush,” Aiden interjected “The main reason I volunteer to go, is if these men are from Faer they will obey their leader or they will suffer death upon my hand” “I have access to more information than you” the men looked around at each other, what Aiden spoke was true and they knew it, “I shall ride out at first light” Aiden announced.

 

Aero had discovered a pattern in the villages, the villages weren’t ordinary villages, they happened to be blacksmith towns. Where weapons of war were made, and imported to Ventus. Aero would have dealt with the problem himself, but it wasn’t only a blacksmith town in Ventus there had been an attack in Firma, someone wanted to cutoff the supply of weaponry to the tribes. This was dangerous; we had a limited supply of armor and weaponry stored here in Ventus. After the war when my brother had finally made peace with Faer and their allies Firma, not many weapons remained, the tribe leaders felt no need to continue production of war memorabilia. But now it seemed as if someone wanted to make it impossible to defend ourselves against a large army.

 

I must have still looked frightened for Aero then spoke regarding me “Carius please escort Essyllte to her chamber so she may rest some more” he said assuredly.  “I would love too Aero” came Carius’ slick reply he walked to me and grabbed my arm to link it through his, the others returned to the strategy map whilst I still felt a pair of gold eyes burning into my back.

Carius walked me slowly not saying anything, I stared at him in the dark, I was not simple I realized he was Aero’s confidant and he would be the best match for me, I probably would end up marrying him if something were to happen to Aero, but I hoped I would never have too. He was nearly thirty and I so young at seventeen. It’s not that he was not handsome, his dark blond hair and straight nose, with nice blue eyes, in his way he was decent but he lacked character, he was not kind and did not acknowledge me as anything other than a woman, but I realized I had not many options that Aero would accept, but it was nice to wonder.

 

When we reached my door he finally spoke “do you need me to walk you inside” he offered in his hoarse voice , all  I could do was shake my head “well” he looked longingly at my bodice and fixed his gaze upon my rising and falling chest. I nearly choked in disgust, I inclined my head and started to walk in my chamber when I realized Aiden would never find Ismene, she would never trust him to go I had to give him something to give to her to let her know it was me searching. I ran inside and grabbed the wrap she had me with the crest of Ventus upon it. I had to deliver it to Aiden tonight. I did not even think that Carius might still be in the hall, I flew out the door and hit something hard, there he stood. “Going somewhere” he said with a knowing look in his eyes. How could I get out of this, I was sure he knew I was headed to Aiden and in doing so he could ruin me with what he could say about my late night visit. I searched my mind for anything to say, but came up blank.

 

I stood there breathing hard; Carius would surely mention to Aero that I had been attempting to leave my chamber this late in the evening. How would Aero ever learn to trust me? I thought for a moment before I answered, Carius staring intently at me. I decided upon the truth, or a somewhat altered version. “I was coming to find you.” I said innocently. “For what particular purpose could I help you with this late in the evening. “Will you deliver this to Aiden’s chamber” I asked, “I am no deliverer of favors from a childish girl” he replied angrily. “Wait, it’s not what you think, it is for Ismene, she would never trust him. She’s knows Aero to well that he would rely on a Faer to find her. With this she know it is us searching and to trust him.” He hesitated for a moment, and then decided I would not lie about matters regarding Ismene, he took the scarf from my eager hands and placed it in a satchel slung around his waist.

“You’re wiser than most give you credit, your still young, but you will learn yet, goodnight Essyllte” He said. He walked away from me down the dimly lit corridor, and I watched thoughtful. I was going to speak to Aiden tonight, but it is better it will be in morning. I wasn’t tired, but I could do nothing else tonight, I retired to my chamber and to a night haunted by strange demons and fears.

I awoke tired from last night’s exertions and nightmares. I was too worried about Ismene to get much rest. It was scarcely sunrise outside and I was awake. I dressed barely paying attention to what I was doing, my thoughts were elsewhere. I dressed in a simple gown with no adornments in my hair, just brushing it out and letting it hang free. I excited my chamber and proceeded to find Aiden, I hoped he hadn’t already departed. I assumed he would be in the council chamber or the stables, I decided to check the chamber first. I entered the chamber and at first was disappointed when I did not see him, but I must have missed him in my scan of the chamber. Because there he stood, by the pane glass window, his head tilted down, studying a map of the surrounding areas.

 

He looked almost angelic, with the light from the rising sun splashing against his skin; in his dark battle uniform, with his onyx sword sheathed on his hip, he looked dangerous yet somehow very innocent. I wanted to speak with him, but I didn’t want to disrupt the peace he held. I took a step backward, but my sudden movement alerted him to my presence. Realizing I had been caught I tentively asked “May I join you?” He tilted his head upward and smiled, “I would love it if you joined me” he laughed “I don’t usually mind being watched, but coming from you it makes me somehow very uneasy.” He laughed, I walked farther in the room and closer to him, I wanted him to know how grateful I was to him, but couldn’t think of words that would relay the true magnitude of appreciation I felt, instead I asked about the scarf. “Did Carius deliver my scarf to you?” I asked “yes” he replied icily, there must have been some sort of confrontation between them last night. He directed his gaze away from mine so I couldn’t see his cold gaze. He quickly snapped out of his dark mood and redirected his attention to me, “I had hoped to see you before I left, I sensed your desperation, don’t worry so much I will find her” he promised confidently.

“Or what’s left of her” I mumbled “Essyllte” he shouted. “I will find her; I give you my word, but in the meantime stay safe and keep your eyes open, there is more that goes on in these walls than you know. Be my confidant Essyllte, I will send word as soon as I know anything.” He said. He stepped toward me and embraced me, as he let go he let out a low chuckle.

 

I looked up expectant of an explanation, “you know” he said. “I never expected my coming here would result in us forming a companionship. I never thought different elements could have anything other than contention between them” he laughed “farewell lovely Essyllte” he sighed. “Goodbye Aiden” I whispered.

 

He walked out of the door and toward the main chamber. We had said our private goodbyes and now it was time to acknowledge each other in public. I waited a moment before exciting. I walked slowly to the courtyard and out into the sun.  The sun was set high above, bearing down on us. Despite the suns presence it was a cold day in the courtyard, which was the largest area in the keep. The stone floors made the presence of chill even more prominent in the courtyard. Aero stood upon a wooden dais near the middle of the yard. Carius and Paladin watched as Aiden mounted his horse. He nodded to them and gave me a sideways glance. Before he gave his men the signal to leave he swept a look around the courtyard. When he didn’t spot who he was looking for he turned and rode off, his men following suit. I assumed it was his father, because Phelan was the only one who decided not to show.



© 2008 HalfBloodPrincess


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on August 9, 2008


Author

HalfBloodPrincess
HalfBloodPrincess

Bakersfield, CA



About
Writing is a huge part of my life, I love to write mainly fantasy and supernatural mixed in with romance. Big fan of JR Ward and the BDB! series, and pretty much of just reading the genres I like to w.. more..

Writing