What you should really fear

What you should really fear

A Poem by Rika

Shadows in the back

Something form the past

Stalking you from afar

Knowing where you are

It gets so much nearer

Almost like in a mirror

It grabs your neck

Your friends stand back

Wondering why you just strangled your self

 

© 2013 Rika


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Dear GDMonster

All I can offer you is my first, completely honest, open-spirited reaction.

I read this poem once and it had an immediate raw, visceral impact, a mark of recognition, an interpretation of it that someone out there perhaps may have the same view of self, of life as I do.

Perhaps it is that reaction we all as writers are seeking from our readers and if so you have hit your target with me, eloquently.

I really do admire this piece. It is honest and not self-complimentary.

Note however short the piece, you have just deeply affected me as a reader with your brevity, even if what follows on my part is anything but brief.

Whether you meant it this way or not, what follows is my personal take.

You can only ever converse with one reader at a time.

Everyone will have their own perspective based on their own experience of life.

I have said it often to myself but have at times admitted to others - the only person who really scares me in my life who has ever really frightened me badly is myself.

That is how your poem has marked me.

The sadness is I have been quite capable of and at times still can be capable of badly frightening others too.

On here, people will often see the excessively erudite, wordy, jaunty self-mockery of my writing or my apparently educational reviews.

But still waters run deep.

And sometimes people can easily drown in them.

I fear my past, the bad things I have done, the nightmares and retribution that have followed and to this day linger. And I fear ewven more the bad things that I may do again,when anything but lucid, in moments of instability and illness.

I see this in your poem!

My past is a difficult one. I have tasted much of life, its highs and its lows, too much of the extremes with little in between.

Somewhere between:

Rich and poor;

Kind and unkind;

Gentle and a monster;

A scholar and arrested under the Mental Health Act, standing in a court, remanded in custody to a mental hospital;

A high flyer in business and complete rejection and isolation by family and friends;

Love and endlessly abusive, soulless sex for its own sake; and

Drinking champagne at business functions and water from a toilet in a police cell.

Whtat have you seen that makes you strangle yourself? I hope for your sake it is something you can still bear.

I did Cambridge University and Director of one of the largest companies on the London stock Exchange.

But I have also done the other end and I assure you, if you think the preceding is heaven, everything else has been pure hell.

These days my life is improving with medication and a little help from my friends.

Should you feel a connection, you might like to read some of my pieces, Understanding, Green or say even my novel Split. Without obligation naturally. I never make read requests though I will accept others.

Split is a plea for understanding not so much for me but for those other poor souls who too are stigmatised by mental health diseases they did not ask for but inherited genetically at birth; the lot they were handed; the deal that's rotten.

Mererly chemical disorders of the brain; not unlike a broken leg, but unlike those, no-one comes to our beds with grapes that smile. All run a mile.

Self-harmers; Schizophrenics; Obsessive compulsives; Bulimics; Anorexics; Manic Depressives, Depressives;

Those whose endless objective in life is to commit suicide; and and and ....

I have met them all and I have cried and still do cry for them and their anguish.

Split is a novel with a moral purpose.

And even if I never make one bean out of it I want to get it out there to the widest audience possible.

Any help you or anyone else reading this can provide would be gratefully received.

Please note and I apologise in advanace I can be either debonair or in your face frighteningly shocking.

Bear with me.

I have found some who can mock me at my smiling honesty, but I can assure you they all run a mile, when I am manic.

Read my poetry / prose / my 'About myself' on my profile to know me better, if you will.

If at times like these, I write too many words, it is because part of my disorder is racing thoughts; words that stumble over each other in an effort to get them out.

Perhaps you meant something else by this poem.

But you needn't say if it is too personal to say.

But I only do candour.

I am Bipolar.

It is both my greatest blessing and my greatest curse. I inhabit the world of double-edged swords.

You wanted a reaction to your poem GD Monster?

Well I think you have just got one and as for all your readers it is highly personal.

To smile back at a reviewer who supposes I think myslef better than anyone as an author, I repeat, 'You have the makings of an author', a saleable writer, in my humble opinion, such as it is.

Your fellow traveller and with kind regards

James



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Rika

11 Years Ago

thanks, im bipolar too, i really apreacate your thoughts on my piece, im glad you liked it. -GDM
James Hanna-Magill

11 Years Ago

Dear GDM

Funny thing is I read you as bipolar.

I guessed before I comment.. read more
short, sweet and complete... ignoring my silly rhyme
nicely written and enjoyable to read, nice job :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rika

11 Years Ago

thanks so much!
Shannen Forrester

11 Years Ago

you're welcome XD
A very nice tale. A amazing story. To write a complete story with beginning, plot and good ending in so few words. Take talent. Thank you for the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rika

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much!

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

852 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 9, 2013
Last Updated on March 12, 2013
Tags: dark, fear, yourself, horror

Author

Rika
Rika

NC



About
The Rainbow Basin :245 by *emperpep on deviantART Hi! im Rika! , i write still I guess l im a trans girl! I'm add, so i loose track of time very easily I love anime and manga. I am becoming.. more..

Writing
Everything Everything

A Poem by Rika


Fire Fire

A Story by Rika


My story My story

A Story by Rika



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


women women

A Poem by quinfinn