My Little Fish

My Little Fish

A Chapter by Georgina V Solly

Chapter 3

MY LITTLE FISH

 

Filo was waiting somewhat impatiently at the harbour. He had to repeat the excursion once more before nightfall. Liana, Filo’s daughter, didn’t like to have dinner late as it meant she would be washing dishes instead of watching television. Sonila and Gus were both silent, she, because she didn’t feel well and he, because he was thinking of how he could free himself from staying with her, so that he could go to a cabaret with Don and Mavis. The latter, Mavis, was holding a small plastic cube which she had bought in the shopping area, and dipped it in the sea water. It didn’t take long before she had a little fish inside the cube. Mavis took the cube out of the water and gazed at the fish lovingly. Everyone was tired and paid her no attention. She carefully closed the lid of the cube with the fish and water inside and deposited it gently in her straw basket.

 

Sonila’s head ached and when she and Gus were back in their hotel room she said, “Gus, I know I’m being a wet blanket on this holiday but it would be better if I didn’t go out, so that I can get a bit of a rest.”

“Would you mind if I went out with Don and Mavis. You don’t expect me to go to bed early, too, do you?”

“Oh, no, dear. This is your holiday as well as mine. Did you think that I wanted to keep you here? Of course not. Go out with them and have a good time.”

“Thanks for your generous gesture. I’ll try not to wake you up on my return.”

“Hope you have a good time,” said Sonila drowsily, already helped by a sleeping tablet.

 

The fish was in the glass fruit bowl now, the fruit was on the table. Mavis, all excited was talking to Don. “I’m tired. Besides, I don’t want to leave my new acquisition so soon. He’s got to get used to living in a very reduced space.”

“In that case I’m going to accompany Gus tonight. Is that all right?”

“Very well. I’ll watch television and then go to bed.”

“Don’t you dare even think of putting the fruit bowl with the fish in the bed.”

“D’you think I’m stupid!”

“You put Rolly in the bed when you can.”

“Rolly’s a dog!” Mavis settled down on the sofa to watch a police series on the television.

Don came out of the bathroom stinking of toilet water, “Good night. Don’t fall asleep in front of the telly.”

 

Gus and Don left together " and happy " and headed towards a night club intent on having a good time.

Sonila was asleep.

Mavis had her eyes glued to the screen.

The water in the fruit bowl looked somewhat murky.


© 2012 Georgina V Solly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
Added on January 1, 2012
Last Updated on January 1, 2012


Author

Georgina V Solly
Georgina V Solly

Valencia, Spain



About
First of all, I write to entertain myself and hope people who read my stories are also entertained. I do appreciate your loyalty very much. more..

Writing