Doctor Doom versus Osman

Doctor Doom versus Osman

A Chapter by Georgina V Solly

 

Chapter 19

DOCTOR DOOM VERSUS OSMAN

 

The doctor had time on his hands and went to the museum. Before entering he made a rapid inspection of the exterior. He found nothing out of the ordinary. There were no vehicles outside, which meant that there were no visitors. The main door opened and Osman stood there staring at him through the green lenses of his glasses. “Do you want something?”

“I’d like to see the museum, if it’s convenient.”

“Why, of course it’s convenient. Are you alone? Tourists usually come in groups.”

“I’m alone.”

“My name is Osman and I’m the curator.”

“I’m Doctor Doom. Pleased to meet you.”

“When did you arrive on the island?”

“I arrived on the aeroplane that crashed.”

“You were lucky.”

“Lucky?”

“Only the pilots are still in hospital.”

“Yes, and nobody knows why. Do you know?”

“Why should I know? I’m a curator not a doctor.”

The doctor saw everything that Irving and Camette had seen. The map was obviously false, it was nothing like the coasts of the island. The chains of gold didn’t impress him, though he didn’t want to be so daring as to say they were fakes. “How old is the legend of the sacred fire fish?” Doom asked.

“We’re working on it. The legend or myth has always existed.”

“Why is it forbidden to fish or eat fish here?”

“The legend prevents it.”

“Do you believe in the existence of such fish?”

“I’m an islander, does that answer your question?”

“Very well. I’m surprised that there aren’t more objects related to the myth.”

“You know, temple robbers and the like. The islanders have never looked after anything very much.”

“I understand. Are there treasure hunters in this region?”

The curator laughed, but it wasn’t at all pleasant. “I suppose there could be some. This part of the world attracts the attention of this type of person.”

“Do you know any treasure hunters?”

“Of course, I don’t. What a strange question, Doctor, from a simple tourist?” The curator’s eyes from behind the green lenses held an evil stare.

“Thank you for having shown me the museum.”

“It’s my job. I’m happy it’s been to your liking.”

The curator didn’t take his eyes off the doctor until he had left the garden. The doctor was conscious of being watched and asked himself why Osman smelt of fish?

 

The timbers seen at close hand were less sinister than when seen from above. Irving and the doctor were diving alone. They had planned it that way. The black mouth of the cave opened before them and they went inside. The water was cleaner than that awful day when Camette had risen terrified, taking Irving with her. Their torches lit up the rocks that formed the walls. The two men got up closer to examine them better.

With an instrument specially made for cutting plaster and rock, the doctor cut out small pieces and put them into a little bag which was attached to his belt. The cave was as beautiful as before, nevertheless, Irving wasn’t sure if there were more rocks on the floor than there had been on his previous visit. They swam through the different caves inspecting every corner and passage. Irving looked at his diving watch and saw that he didn’t have enough air to stay longer underwater and made signals to the doctor that he was going up. Irving led the doctor away from the subterranean world to the open sea.

On the beach they removed their diving suits and Irving pointed to the fallen rocks. “There was a landslide on the night of the ritual and the waters became very turbulent.”

“Was this the only part of the island where it happened?”

“That I don’t know. The waters were turbulent all around the coasts that night, that I do know.”

“Let’s go and look for Camette. I don’t think she will look on this excursion happily unless she’s included,” said the doctor.

 

Camette was with Mavis and Sonila beside the swimming pool. Sonila invited them to a drink.

“How did the dive go?” Camette asked, devouring the doctor with her eyes.

“Well, thanks,” Doom said, and placing his interest in Mavis, asked “What’s the matter with your arm?”

“It’s from hot water. We put a fish into the fruit bowl. The water was always murky and the most surprising of all was that it burnt me.”

“Let me see it.” Doom took Mavis arm and observed the remains of the burn that were still visible. “I’ll give you something to heal it altogether. Where did you catch the fish?”

“From the sea when we went on an excursion with Filo,” Mavis answered.

“There were so many fish. It was incredible,” Sonila said.

“I don’t like fish any more,” added Mavis.

The doctor made no comment, he finished his drink, went up to his room and came back down with an ointment for Mavis’ arm. He gave it to her with instructions on how to use it and turned to Irving, “I’d like to ask you something.”

The three women watched them questioningly as they entered the hotel.

“Don’t worry, Camette, it’s man talk. Ours is called gossip,” Sonila said.

“I’m worried about Irving getting himself involved in another mess, it’ll be worse for him.”

Once away from the women, Doom said, “Irving, look for Filo and tell him that tonight we’re going to the temple. I’ve got an idea.”

 

Filo received the news and got ready to go out with the two men.

“Stay here with your mother, Curro. If anyone should come round, tell them I’m in the ‘Pink Paradise’.”

“Yes, Grandfather. Does Mum know you go over there?”

“There’s no reason for her to know.”

“Good luck.”

“Why?”

“For you to find a pretty girl.”



© 2012 Georgina V Solly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
Added on January 1, 2012
Last Updated on January 1, 2012


Author

Georgina V Solly
Georgina V Solly

Valencia, Spain



About
First of all, I write to entertain myself and hope people who read my stories are also entertained. I do appreciate your loyalty very much. more..

Writing