Distance

Distance

A Poem by GunMetal
"

Time is a feeling, and it's the only thing that the distance between us is measured in.

"
The roads are viscous in the daylight.
I get lost in the distance
trying not to measure my journeys
in time or in miles.
I measure them in song lengths.
On any given day
you could be six punk rock songs away.
Or one and a half Dream Theater songs.
And I still find reasons not to go to you.

The place you go to heal
it will resemble your deepest wound.
All brick, bourbon and pyre.
You've got your hands so full of grief that you can't even hold your fire.
I'd need only look for the place that smells of your inferno.

Don't think for a second that I mind burning for you.
It's the distance that bothers me.

© 2012 GunMetal


Author's Note

GunMetal
I've been away for a while. This is one of the first poems I've written in over a year. I'll be sure to return the favor for anyone who reviews this =)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'The place you go to heal
it will resemble your deepest wound.'

That's fantastic, the poem has a sort of rhythm to it that's not exactly meter... it's just natural it seems. Measuring your time with an artform is a very novel way to go about it I think, unique and very well-written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You've got a unique writing style in this piece. The story you told was done in such an interesting way too. Very nicely done and a pleasure to read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


wow, this insightful degree of analogy blows me away, the descriptions
speak a moment of reasoning into existence, perfectly executed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is really good. It's full of emotions, and not just one, but many. Especially pain, which somehow always makes for better writing. People can relate to pain, as it's a part of everyday life.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LJW
As I a never truly sure of a writer's intent, I rarely offer suggestions. What I got out of it is the picture you painted in my head; a picture with the added dimension of feelings. A good writer can do this. Felt to me that a relationship was put on hold while another went off somewhere to heal. The other partner in the realtionship would rather be there to endure the pyre, the pain with them. Instead he has to drive a number of songs to get to them, illuminating just how far they are apart physically and more often than not, emotionally. Your in it and the other may be out of it.....will find out when you reach the inferno. Very original, highly relatable. Excellent, clean work.
99/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

wow I love it amazing use of emotions :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Intense. This is what I am here for on WC..to read pieces worthy of publication. adding to my favs..:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I know i read this before, andi know ive already reviewed it but this work is fantastic the lines have such power... the creative use of wording is so brilliantly placed that i just cudent resist singing your praises once more. Have to add this to my liabry an utterly brilliant work of art.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You've amazed me again. This one does the same thing every time I come back to read it

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Eve
lazy bum..lol..just kidding!!!...awesome write, I loved this. I'm thinking there is no distance between hearts that want to be next to each other, but that is a females point of view of course, we will usually walk on fire to get to where we want to be.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amazing. Adding to this my library.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1804 Views
45 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on May 21, 2012
Last Updated on May 21, 2012

Author

GunMetal
GunMetal

Wish You Were Here, Alta Loma, CA



About
First off, if you have a Tumblr, feel free to follow me with the link up there next to my picture. Also, My Twitter. ------------------------------------------------- Find me somehow. My name .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..