Dickinson, Plath, and a twenty stone monkey

Dickinson, Plath, and a twenty stone monkey

A Poem by Gee
"

You gotta draw the reader in :)

"
Undeterred, bloodied not bowed,(after yet another poem bombed) he girded his loins. No point mithering he thought with pen poised above the blank sheet before him, this time I will be read, and this poem, my 23rd posted in two days, will be the start of my rise, a meteoric rise as predicted in my biog.
His biog read..
" Hi, my name is William Byron Shelley Brillianto.
I am an author, painter, sculptor, poet, producer, choreographer, director.
Welcome to my page. Prepare to be amazed and have your perceptions of all things art and arty changed. I AM THE FUTURE"..(toot, toot, toot, blow my own trumpet)
24 hours later, 3 views, 1 review which read..
" sometimes more is less. Tis the quality not the quantity that the reader seeks.
You would be better to pen 4 lines of substance with emotion than 4 pages of drivel and dross. And the title, this needs to cause a certain amount of intrigue so as to draw the reader in. For example " A Poem" ( your last title)holds little sway, doesn't get the reader to thinking, whereas a title such as " Dickinson, Plath and a twenty stone monkey" will have the discerning poet wondering as to what the hell that could be about.
Finally, can you paint ? "





© 2020 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
More often than not I am drawn in to read a piece( if the author not known to me) by a titles that gets me to wondering.
Get quite a few folk who bemoan the fact they get few or no reviews so they post more and more of the same !

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Lol, I'm glad you approve ma'am. I remember landing here totally unsure of how my simple fayre would be received but was open to all and any help offered and made a point of reading the established " stars" so as to try and improve. This seems to be rare amongst quite a few of the newbies who land here now and seem to think that they are Gods gift and are not shy to tell everyone...how deluded.
Hope you are well and thank you muchly.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

barleygirl

4 Years Ago

I find humbleness to be one of the great virtues that's gone by the wayside at times . . . (((HUGS)).. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.



Reviews

this is a hoot. I admit the title drew me in. Though what I especially loved was "hi my name is....sheer audacity of such a cleverly placed dig is pure magic

Ken

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Ken
Such an entertaining read Gee and with a title like that, you sure pulled the readers in. I missed this first time round, but pleased to say I have caught up. Better late than never. Good Monday morning to ya and greetings to MK.

Chris



Posted 2 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

Thanks Christine. More piffle :))
Hope you are well m'dear
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Fair to middling young man :)
Found words I have not read of yours yet... I actually, thought I had read everything you have submitted.
Really enjoyed this earlier work of yours Gordon..
Yes, drawing the reader in is so important.. Be it a story or a poem.. I heard something once about the first 5 lines being very important in a story..
Your title intrigued me...stone monkey....
Not getting reviews is terrible.. The mere fact that you have 335 views and only 27 reviews is ridiculous..but then again are we really leaving our poems on this site in the hopes of getting great reviews? But as I type this I realize that YES, reviews are important because if they are truthful then that helps the poet understand how his poems really make readers feel..and perhaps a reader might make a suggestion or two..
Ah well, just early morning thoughts...but see...your poem brought up thoughts in me..and that is good...
Lisa

Posted 2 Years Ago


Lisasview

2 Years Ago

Why??
.....
Gee

2 Years Ago

I left school with zilch qualifications and the ringing endorsement of " you will ammount to nothing.. read more
Lisasview

2 Years Ago

Well, I only review how I feel😍
Lisa
Well observed. My comp teacher told me you have to snag the reader in one sentence. She also taught me the value of an unusual title. Of course, I'M still learning my craft. I applaud the wisdom and the humor. Well written.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

Thank you MJS
I can relate to titling draws the eye and agree a little. I tend to title my scripts to capsulate what I've written. If the title draws interest that is fine, my postings are simply a means to release pressure of never ending thoughts in my brain, imprisoned by my skull.

Should a perspective reader browse one of my scripts they may recall is like their first sip of spirits (wine, in that it's bitter sweet and want more; or a whisky, that burns and unless you like such a feeling you don't bother consuming more). I care not how a reader digests my scripts or if they decide to add more of my insights to their mental palate -- I only hope that I gave them something to think about.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

I only wonder as to how my writing will be perceived once posted, but as this writing malarkey is ju.. read more
Ha ya mardy bugger! Love the deeply sardonic nature of this witty and imaginatively well written little number. However 'not all coats have lapels' I post scores but do not really care if they largely go unread as I choose not to collect 'friends' unless I really like their work and they like to interact. Not sure these days I could reciprocate with a bunch of reviews anyway.

Posted 3 Years Ago


I don't get enough reviews. Does this mean I will get more reviews?

I will eat your pets and urinate upon your soul.

I thought we were friends?

My neighbor said he's the president of black people.

I'm still mourning sean connery.



Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

I know, I am constantly reminded by others
Davidgeo

3 Years Ago

Old is young. I can barely walk up the stairs without drugs and I'm supposed to be young or somethi.. read more
Davidgeo

3 Years Ago

We should have a drink at an airport somewhere one day.
This is priceless and yes, this title drew me! (I have lousy titles usually)
But so true, easy fifty some to get lost in the sound of their own voice and it just sounds like drivel when they should have stopped while it's still interesting. (:

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Guess we are lucky that we have folk like that who choose to let us share their lives :)
Ana Papaya

3 Years Ago

Exactly. Those rare treasures, right? Very lucky. :)
Gee

3 Years Ago

Indeed. Folk that see without being asked to look and give with no thought of receiving.
They.. read more

Excuse me sir.. I have penned n posted precisely 3,422 today .. and as of now.. this exact moment in time, not a single one has seen the light of day or been assigned a this or that.. maybe tomorrow I should try a bit harder ............. maybe :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


Neville

3 Years Ago


I like you poem... I like it a lot.. but then I got a thing about monkeys :) x
Gee

3 Years Ago

Micky, Michael, Peter and Davy :)
Neville

3 Years Ago


I have been told on more than one occasion Davy Jones looked a lot like me .. but then I'm j.. read more
This is quite intriguing, I enjoyed this, my mind is at work now.
Awesome

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Thank you. Did you have a good birthday
Unspoken poet

3 Years Ago

wasn't too bad

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

399 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 13, 2020
Last Updated on March 13, 2020
Tags: Poetry, intrigue, .

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee