Memorial

Memorial

A Poem by Gee
"

Just simple words written in the quiet, small hours of morning

"
There is no highly polished brass plaque
or words etched into cold, coloured granite,
as this she said would place a burden upon us,
make us feel duty bound to stay, visit,
if for no other reason than to polish, tidy, place fresh flowers,
and this in her mind both a waste of time and money.
Would be better, she said, her memorial be our beating hearts and memories,
as these would not be a bind, would not tie us to one place,
would have her life, love, memory, "portable," ever present
waiting patiently in the shadows of our sub conscious
to be visited, called forward into the light,
even if the light, as is mainly the case, be the darkness,
the quiet small hours of early mornings
when as all sleep the minds of those silently mourning and missing remember...






© 2021 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
Hopefully makes sense to some :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Perhaps it’s better to have something simple on your grave……I, for one, have only been once to see my parents simple graves with just an etching in the stone……it’s the memory that is foremost, and that will last indefinitely.
Best, B.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thanks for dropping in Betty
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

You're very welcome Gee!
Best, B.
I love this, memories in beating hearts, yes this is who we are so make some good ones! Well done Gee!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

Thank Patricia.
Hope you are over the worst and feeling better.
Take care :))
Patricia

2 Years Ago

thank you Gee, yes, I am finally starting to feel a bit better yay! Hugs!
Totally makes sense Gordon,
My mother felt the same way...and, so do I ..The burden of having someone come to your grave to clean and replace flowers is ...well, a burden.. Better to stay in loved ones heart..and memories..
After awhile even this stops and when other generation comes along those that are buried are long forgotten...
Forgot where we were once..perhaps it was Portugal ...where they bury family members one on top of the other..this was to save space, keep them together, etc.. There was a single grave marker with each person who died added to it..Then, there were no more names..So interesting. I always visit graveyards in the countries we visit...
Anyway, I really loved this story...
Lisa

Posted 2 Years Ago


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Wow. This is extraordinarily beautiful in its representation. It's a sentiment I completely adhere to as well. Love is the lasting memorial I'd like to leave behind in the minds and hearts of my children. And they, in turn, become my memorial to this world. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

Thank you, hopefully I will live long in my daughters heart once I've popped my clogs :)
Fabian G. Franklin

2 Years Ago

Love it! :)
On the occasion of attending a cremation before the restrictions imposed by the lockdown I walked slowly looking at the various and many brass plates with heartfelt messages inscribed on them. What a shame they only get looked at by strangers like me who are only there for another cremation. How sad!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Tis indeed sad Augustus. Thank you
Dear Gee, I looked for something new from you, couldn't find any recent writing, so settled on reading this lovely piece again. Just hoping you are having a lovely Easter and you and yours are all keeping safe and well.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

Sorry , didn't see this Christine. Thank you.
Hope you are keeping well :)
i think it makes a lot of sense Gee .. and well said! we don't forget the fallen we have lost along the way .. funny but i think the pain and loss is the priviledge of loving them .. we are shaped by it .. i have never been much for visiting the markers of buried loved ones ... tho I do from time to time .. to make sure they are kept well .. and to remember they once were physically here in my life ... i have my own all ready to go and will be among my family in a small prairie farm Cemetery where my Great Grandfather homesteaded. I gain much comfort from that in the here and now. ;) ...but it is in those "portable" places of the mind that my loved ones now passed most gently reside .. seem to come and go as they please bringing laughter or tears at the strangest of times as well as times i expect them .... :))) peace ... be well .. keep staying safe!
E.
ps. beautiful avatar pic sir!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

2 Years Ago

Belated thanks E :)
Lost the eldest dog this week, devastated, old age and illness. After 15 .. read more
Einstein Noodle

2 Years Ago

i'm so sorry! i am a dog person as well and we lost our beloved Bella Mia 2 yrs ago this coming Oct... read more
Gee

2 Years Ago

Thanks E.....
I understood this poem completely, and enjoyed reading it.
It provides a different outlook on memorials, and another way to hold onto someone after they die.
Thanks for sharing. =-)

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Thank you..
To some, the grave is a reminder that they will never be here again. But the memories are what is most important. They're the acceptance that somehow they're still around and able to keep watch without having to go through the ritual of buying flowers and getting in the car to leave. There's no reason to ever leave if they're right here in our hearts.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Hi Relic, thanks for your thoughts.
Hope you and your dad are safe and well
No one's really gone until the last person who remembers them goes. A gravestone without the memory is just a rock that got named.

I want to be burned when I die.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

I'm for the incinerator too.
My mum disappeared behind the curtains to the strains of " You'.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

679 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2021
Last Updated on April 10, 2021
Tags: Love, loss, memorial, missing

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


In Spirit In Spirit

A Poem by Chris Shaw