Popping corks and laughter

Popping corks and laughter

A Poem by Gee
"

Attended the opening of a garden room that is dedicated to the memory of Deb Daly who passed away last August.

"
Sometimes we forget the sadness
notice not your empty chair
as popping corks and laughter
fill the celebratory air,
but when your name is mentioned
and tales of you relayed,
the light dims briefly in our eyes
and on lips sad smiles are played,
because popping corks and laughter
with you walked hand in hand,
into our hearts where love you left
like footprints in the sand.




© 2022 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
As with most posts there is no set structure

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A glorious eulogy, full of love and fond remembrance with a single bittersweet tear. I hope I am remembered with popping corks and laughter after I die.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Deb was the most wonderfully warm and loving person and is so sadly missed by all of us that loved h.. read more
who needs structure GEE! a lovely little ode to a gone-away friend.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thanks Ken, simple words for a much loved and sadly missed lady
A touching way to relieve the grief. Celebrate their life and the laughter that brought warmth to so many. Touching stuff Gee.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Duff.
Hope you are well
Good morning Gordon,
Been awhile since i reviewed your words...I do go back into your poetry to see if there might be one I missed...but as far as I can tell I have read them all...So, I find myself rereading ...which isn' a bad thing...
Lisa, rereading your words

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Lisa.
Hope you are both well
Lisasview

1 Year Ago

You are most welcome Gordon,
Lisa, in Tarragona, Spain for a short vacation...
In expressing grief, we must also celebrate the life. My older sister was named "bubbles" by our uncle when she was a toddler, because of the giddy way her laughter always filled a room. On the day of her funeral, as we all began walking away, some of my cousins lingered behind and started blowing bubbles into the sky. Looking back through tears as they glistened in the sunlight, I thought of how happy she must have been to see how extraordinary a celebration it was. That was twenty-six years ago, this December. You've written such a lovely tribute, Gordon. Thank you for sharing your memories of Deb with us. I'm pretty certain you've made her proud!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Kelly
Hope you are well
A pang and a tinge still and probably will always exist. Grieving is such a strange human process. Great loss affords a greater challenge, denial can only go so far. And when the tide ebbs all is laid bare until its raising again. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thanks Frederick
This one has the sound of grief that has not yet been resolved. The empty chair represents one beloved but who has passed on. The family has moved on to where they can enjoy good times again, but the sight of that chair can return the feeling of loss to them quickly. Grief is an individual matter, and all have their own particular way of dealing with it. Very good rhyme and meter in this one.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you JTB
Very nice! A touching mix of sadness over the loss of this friend, but also joy for having had her in your life, and what she brought to life.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Richard
Sounds like Deb Daly is in the scrapbook of your heart. She will not be forgotten. Lovely tribute. Lydi**

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Lydia
I don't think we ever forget the 'special' ones
They have dug too deeply into our hearts, but the loss becomes easier to accept over time and if she is keeping an eye on you, I doubt she would mind you popping corks and enjoying laughter.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Will definitely never forget the unforgettable Deb :)
Thanks Dave

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

688 Views
40 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 5, 2022
Last Updated on November 7, 2022
Tags: Love, loss, memories

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..